News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Sure, do tests for alcohol, I'm fine with that.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 07:49:59 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 07:47:12 PM
Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 07:44:59 PM
So, to recap, a Colorado court ruled it is okay for Colorado employers to fire employees who test positive for marijuana.

What more are you looking for?

Either random screening for alcohol use, or the total repeal of marijuana prohibition.  I'd prefer the latter.

And I think I'll get it, sooner than I used to think.

UNNNNGGGGG!  Legalization doesn't change the fact that marijuana is an impairing substance, employers will continue to not want to have impaired employees so they will continue to test.  This is pretty straightforward.

REMEMBER, KIDS!  ALCOHOL HAS NO LINGERING EFFECTS!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

UNNNNGGGGG!  Legalization doesn't change the fact that marijuana is an impairing substance, employers will continue to not want to have impaired employees so they will continue to test.  This is pretty straightforward.

Positive MJ test is not proof of impairment.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 07:51:03 PM
Sure, do tests for alcohol, I'm fine with that.

Okay.  You'll be fired, but okay.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 07:43:17 PM
Yes, you are right, it is still illegal federally.  You do realize that is still in the mix, correct?  You can't just pretend that doesn't exist. 

Quote from: V3X on April 10, 2013, 05:17:27 PM
I think some wrong lessons were learned in the last century, and I'm not sure how they got learned. Take the two biggest social change movements that happened in the 20th Century (in America) -- Women's Suffrage and Civil Rights. These two movements started as all great movements start out -- from the bottom up, with more and more people becoming sick and goddamn tired of the way things are, and deciding to live in a world where things aren't that way.

Somehow, when the history books were written (or taught, or both), people got the idea that the hard-fought equality (or progress toward equality, anyway) that was won in those movements was somehow a product of things like the 19th Amendment or the Civil Rights Act. And while yes, those pieces of legislation were -- and are -- crucial to the eventual and continued success of these movements, they are not the springs from which equality flows. They never would have happened if people weren't out there, being all free and shit, without permission.

But now we have this idea that the quickest way from Here to There is via the government and convincing lawmakers to send down enlightenment from Mount Olympus or wherever the fuck we seem to think those overblown lawyers live. But just as you can't legislate morality, you can't legislate liberty, either. You can't pass a law that says "Shit is hereby fixed." That isn't where liberty comes from.

It sounds quaint, and for some reason it seems counter-intuitive, but government follows a popular charge for social progress. Government does not lead those charges. You will never, ever find a government anywhere -- no matter how advanced or progressive you think it is -- that will ever be very good at paving the road to equality so the masses can have a smooth ride all the way to Utopia. Like any road, it gets built first by a ton of people walking that way before there's a fucking road there, breaking their legs, stubbing their toes, and spraining their ankles along the way until finally somebody notices that "hey! Everybody's going this way, let's put a grader on that shit and lay down some pavement."

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:50:35 PM
Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 05:31:07 PM
Dumbass, that isn't going to go away when it is legal.  You think your employer is going to want to have a bunch of stoned goons running heavy equipment?  Are you allowed to show up to work drunk?

C'mon, use your brain.

Statement implies MJ is legal at all levels: local, state, fedeeral.

All responses from LMNO based on that premise.

All subsequest responses from RWHN back away from that premise.

MARIJUANA IS AN IMPAIRING SUBSTANCE REGARDLESS OF LEGAL STATUS.

Workplace safety doesn't give a fuck about legal status, it gives a fuck about someone impaired running over someone with a forklift.

C'mon!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:50:35 PM
Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 05:31:07 PM
Dumbass, that isn't going to go away when it is legal.  You think your employer is going to want to have a bunch of stoned goons running heavy equipment?  Are you allowed to show up to work drunk?

C'mon, use your brain.

Statement implies MJ is legal at all levels: local, state, fedeeral.

All responses from LMNO based on that premise.

All subsequest responses from RWHN back away from that premise.

MARIJUANA IS AN IMPAIRING SUBSTANCE REGARDLESS OF LEGAL STATUS.

Workplace safety doesn't give a fuck about legal status, it gives a fuck about someone impaired running over someone with a forklift.

C'mon!

AND ALCOHOL IS NOT.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:51:21 PM

Positive MJ test is not proof of impairment.

Are employers risk averse?

LMNO

Averse to wrongful termination lawsuits, for certain.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:57:21 PM

How about workplace accidents?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 23, 2013, 08:01:34 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:57:21 PM

How about workplace accidents?

THERE ARE NO LINGERING EFFECTS FROM ALCOHOL.

LMNO

RHWN:  What about X?
LMNO: Refutes X.
RWHN: What about Y?
LMNO: Refutes Y.
RHWN:  Well, what about X?
RWHN: Well, what about Y?
LMNO: Stops responding.
RWHN: I guess I win.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 08:03:51 PM
RHWN:  What about X?
RWHN: What about Y?
LMNO: Stops responding.
RWHN: I guess I win.

You know darn well what I've been asking about in terms of employers being risk averse but you've been dancing around it refusing to acknowledge it.  That isn't refuting, that is obfuscating.

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO

First,

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:07:54 PM

Second, your question was an avoidance of mine, and while maybe pertinent to the larger conversation, is a deliberate avoidance of our particular angle.

Y'dingus.