News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Science Blogger's WTF Moment.

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., October 16, 2013, 05:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 16, 2013, 05:12:45 PM
QuoteThe offer made was utterly fraudulent, as it promised the prospective guest blogger something of value that could not be delivered:
"...By writing [for us] and linking to us, you not only receive traffic from us..."

No, Bioloy-Online receives traffic from the guest blogger's link to the post, and not the other way around.
If Bioloy-Online might link back to the guest blogger's blog, then perhaps this might be possible, but no such offer is made, nor do any of the "guest blog" entries on Bioloy-Online have such links back to the guest blogger's blog.

"Ofek" goes on to claim that "it can have a direct effect on the traffic and rank of your blog, and that in turn has a direct effect on advertising revenue". This is also untrue, as it would only be possible if there was some sort of easy way for those claimed 1.6 million visitors to easily FIND your blog, such as a link to it.

But http://alexa.com/siteinfo/biology-online.org seems to indicate that this is a site of little or no consequence, stumbled upon nearly half the time via Google search for some specific term. No 1.6 million anything here.

So, in an addition to an apology, a POLICY CHANGE would be a good way to respond, one that would involve providing links back to guest blogger's blogs, and thereby honestly providing the (dubious-seeming) advantages offered to the guest blogger.

As a senior scientist and lab manager, my advice is to get the 11-foot pole from one's quartermaster before touching "Biology-Online" in any way. Mere gloves, goggles, and fume hood seems insufficient protection from so much toxicity.

packetfire

That's interesting, too.

Yes, it is, and they are clearly trying to do damage control by shutting down conversations before they're played out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I will probably start a thread there later, when I come back from class. I'll post a link.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 17, 2013, 01:51:22 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 17, 2013, 01:25:22 AM
http://monicacatherine.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/this-happened/

You think it's the same guy involved in the sciam editing and blog article deletion?

For the site's sake, I hope so.  Because, otherwise, it means the whole place is rotten.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You think it's the same guy involved in the sciam editing and blog article deletion?

No, because the editor responsible for that deletion has already apologized for it.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 17, 2013, 05:11:28 AM

No, because the editor responsible for that deletion has already apologized for it.

Oh boy...  :roll: 

Well, on the positive side, it's good that this incident is getting the buzz that it has--to bring to light these issues.