News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

All that jazz

Started by LMNO, October 14, 2013, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I like jazz because it is music that is open to exploring many different paths, often in the same song.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dildo Argentino

Submission of evidence: period testimony about the Gillespie-Parker gang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxELzu-OtEQ
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

LMNO

In the late 40s, a bunch of players more or less gave the finger to the bebop guys, and went back to the roots.  There was a "Dixieland Revival" that lasted through the 50s and 60s, selling more records than the other developing styles, though it wasn't critically recognized.  Why not?  Well, I'll tell you...

This started happening.  The young hep cats who came up in bebop wanted to go further.  And what happens when you want to further than Thelonius Monk?  You get this.  The bop players were getting pretty far out, almost giving up on conventional songwriting, melody, harmony, and everything else.  So how far could you push it?

Until the breaking point, apparently.  This guy put two quartets in a room, and pretty much told them to go for it.  Half the band is in the left channel, half is in the right, and no one is on the same page.  At all.  There's no theme, no melody, no chord progression.  It's eight guys playing eight different things in the same room at the same time.  But wait!  There is a tempo, a beat, the walking bass and some of the drums are trying to lend coherence.  Oops, there it goes.  Now even the beat has gone missing.  How to justify this?  Well, one way is to claim that you're from Saturn.  Others went in a more spiritual route, calling free jazz a holy experience, while some got all Black Power on people's asses.  More to the point, these guys were feeling something beyond music.  They were trying to play pure emotion, not wanting to be restrained by anything.  They were attempting to reach a transcendental moment, when it becomes more than music, more than itself.

I should say at this point that when I was a kid, I fucking loved this stuff.  The more out, the more freaky, the more jarringly incoherent, the better.  I'd put on some weird shit, lay back, and let all that harshness wash over me.  In fact, just researching this post took me back, and I kind of fell in love with it all over again.  But if any point in jazz was in a "your mileage may vary" moment, this was it.

hooplala

This is officially my favorite thread.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Anna Mae Bollocks

It's helped me make sense of it. FINALLY.

I've had a lifetime of jazz being a big smear of stuff I liked, stuff that gave me a headache, and too-quiet stuff that made me feel like I was in a waiting room. Maybe I can start liking the second two a little, now that I know the reasons for it. Thanks.  :)
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 17, 2013, 06:19:33 PM
In the late 40s, a bunch of players more or less gave the finger to the bebop guys, and went back to the roots.  There was a "Dixieland Revival" that lasted through the 50s and 60s, selling more records than the other developing styles, though it wasn't critically recognized.  Why not?  Well, I'll tell you...

This started happening.  The young hep cats who came up in bebop wanted to go further.  And what happens when you want to further than Thelonius Monk?  You get this.  The bop players were getting pretty far out, almost giving up on conventional songwriting, melody, harmony, and everything else.  So how far could you push it?

Until the breaking point, apparently.  This guy put two quartets in a room, and pretty much told them to go for it.  Half the band is in the left channel, half is in the right, and no one is on the same page.  At all.  There's no theme, no melody, no chord progression.  It's eight guys playing eight different things in the same room at the same time.  But wait!  There is a tempo, a beat, the walking bass and some of the drums are trying to lend coherence.  Oops, there it goes.  Now even the beat has gone missing.  How to justify this?  Well, one way is to claim that you're from Saturn.  Others went in a more spiritual route, calling free jazz a holy experience, while some got all Black Power on people's asses.  More to the point, these guys were feeling something beyond music.  They were trying to play pure emotion, not wanting to be restrained by anything.  They were attempting to reach a transcendental moment, when it becomes more than music, more than itself.

I should say at this point that when I was a kid, I fucking loved this stuff.  The more out, the more freaky, the more jarringly incoherent, the better.  I'd put on some weird shit, lay back, and let all that harshness wash over me.  In fact, just researching this post took me back, and I kind of fell in love with it all over again.  But if any point in jazz was in a "your mileage may vary" moment, this was it.

Wow, that last one was utterly lost on me, LMNO. Where does modal jazz come in to all of this?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Oh, that's another story. At this point, jazz really splinters. Modal is joined at the hip with Cool, so I'll probably go there next.