News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Genome fun

Started by Buckaroo Banzai, October 19, 2013, 03:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo Banzai

http://phys.org/news/2013-10-rewrite-entire-genomeand-healthy.html

This is a huge first step toward making baseline humans such are ourselves completely irrelevant and paving the way for our post-human, Godlike, Charmin soft extra fluffy descendants. Woot Woot and a Woot woot all around says I!  :fap: What say you gaggle of scurvy forum peeps?
Entropy and optimism; the twin forces that make the universe go around.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai on October 19, 2013, 03:48:39 AM

This is a huge first step toward making baseline humans such are ourselves completely irrelevant and paving the way for our post-human, Godlike, Charmin soft extra fluffy descendants. Woot Woot and a Woot woot all around says I!  :fap: What say you gaggle of scurvy forum peeps?

I say we program in hideous BEETUS.

Because fuck the future, that's why.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

von

Kai

Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai on October 19, 2013, 03:48:39 AM

Thanks, another link for my BREAKING HYPE list.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Buckaroo Banzai

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 19, 2013, 05:40:46 AM

I say we program in hideous BEETUS.

Because fuck the future, that's why.
Not quite enough horrific irony in there for me. Couldn't we make them severely diabetic, otherwise nigh unkillable supermen, whose sweat has the same saccharine composition as a Snickers milkshake. That was something as simple as the secretions from there own skin could drive them into coma followed by inevitable Blue Oyster Cult death?
Entropy and optimism; the twin forces that make the universe go around.

Chelagoras The Boulder

One of my friends once sat down and tried to speculate about what would happen if you were to modify the appendix, since we don't know much about what it does other than if helps to propagate certain bacteria. This of course ended in theorizing how to make women lactate beer, because of course it did.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai on October 20, 2013, 07:01:43 AM
Not quite enough horrific irony in there for me.

You want your money back?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 21, 2013, 04:57:20 PM
This of course ended in theorizing how to make women lactate beer, because of course it did.

Figured it might.  Because, you know, women are appliances, right?  Why not try to perfect them?

Kai

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 21, 2013, 04:57:20 PM
One of my friends once sat down and tried to speculate about what would happen if you were to modify the appendix, since we don't know much about what it does other than if helps to propagate certain bacteria. This of course ended in theorizing how to make women lactate beer, because of course it did.

Weak. The appendix is a microbiome storage system. If your gut fauna gets wiped out by disease or antibacterials, your appendix is the center of recolonization.

Also, beer lactation? Weak. How about appendage asymmetry? How about armoring the brain and putting it in the center of the body? How about fiddling around with the gonosomes so that people can change sex like clown fish? You dream small. I dream of insects the size of a mobile home.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What about doing something about the spine, which could really use improvement IMO?

Also, gestation and birth... surely, there are ways to improve THAT.

Also, yes to changing sex.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And as long as we're modifying things for fun and convenience, maybe we can make breasts that go away when we aren't using them, because seriously c'mon.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 12:06:55 AM
What about doing something about the spine, which could really use improvement IMO?

Also, gestation and birth... surely, there are ways to improve THAT.

Also, yes to changing sex.

Spine needs a Hero Shrew upgrade.

Gestation and birth...how about going the way of marsupials? Except the pouch would develop during pregnancy and disappear after the baby is weaned.

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 12:08:20 AM
And as long as we're modifying things for fun and convenience, maybe we can make breasts that go away when we aren't using them, because seriously c'mon.

Agreed. Human morphology should be functional and fabulous.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Whoa, that spine looks like a SERIOUS upgrade! I want one!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Pouch might not be a bad idea. Even better, depositing eggs in the water and leaving.  :lulz:

(Mostly just kidding about that, I mean really. But maybe dropping a fist-sized permeable "egg" into a nutrient bath and just making sure it was fed and protected until it hatched might be an upgrade.)