News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Genome fun

Started by Buckaroo Banzai, October 19, 2013, 03:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 12:06:55 AM
What about doing something about the spine, which could really use improvement IMO?

Also, gestation and birth... surely, there are ways to improve THAT.

Also, yes to changing sex.
There's a short story by neil Gaiman called 'Changes' you should check out if you haven't already. it's about a world in which a cure for cancer works by rebooting your genetic code, yet as a side effect your sex chromosomes switch teams.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Kai on October 21, 2013, 11:52:44 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 21, 2013, 04:57:20 PM
One of my friends once sat down and tried to speculate about what would happen if you were to modify the appendix, since we don't know much about what it does other than if helps to propagate certain bacteria. This of course ended in theorizing how to make women lactate beer, because of course it did.

Weak. The appendix is a microbiome storage system. If your gut fauna gets wiped out by disease or antibacterials, your appendix is the center of recolonization.

Also, beer lactation? Weak. How about appendage asymmetry? How about armoring the brain and putting it in the center of the body? How about fiddling around with the gonosomes so that people can change sex like clown fish? You dream small. I dream of insects the size of a mobile home.
Why would you dream that? :eek: Locusts the size of steam engines sounds terrible. Instead, Polar Bears the size of dogs. Ooh, i would also like to reclaim some of my monkey parts and parkour  across town.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

also a nonlocalized brain might be nice, one that exists as several nodes throughout the body, and is able to process the activities of the body with heightened precision.

Kai

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 22, 2013, 01:26:35 AM
One of my friends once sat down and tried to speculate about what would happen if you were to modify the appendix, since we don't know much about what it does other than if helps to propagate certain bacteria. This of course ended in theorizing how to make women lactate beer, because of course it did.

Weak. The appendix is a microbiome storage system. If your gut fauna gets wiped out by disease or antibacterials, your appendix is the center of recolonization.

Also, beer lactation? Weak. How about appendage asymmetry? How about armoring the brain and putting it in the center of the body? How about fiddling around with the gonosomes so that people can change sex like clown fish? You dream small. I dream of insects the size of a mobile home.
Why would you dream that? :eek: Locusts the size of steam engines sounds terrible. Instead, Polar Bears the size of dogs. Ooh, i would also like to reclaim some of my monkey parts and parkour  across town.

I dream big.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Ass tentacles.  Useful as fuck.

And yeah, 3 arms.  There is no sensible reason for a tool-using species to have only two arms.  You need to arms to hold whatever it is, and one spindly arm with loads of joints in it for manipulating stuff.

Which, incidentally, is the best argument against intelligent design ever.  Besides the "only have two eyes" thing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 12:08:20 AM
And as long as we're modifying things for fun and convenience, maybe we can make breasts that go away when we aren't using them, because seriously c'mon.

I am against this sort of thing.

DOUR,
Ook.  OOK, I SAY!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on October 22, 2013, 01:36:25 AM

I dream big.

I am for this sort of thing.

If the future doesn't have gigantic fucking lizards and praying mantises the size of Mack trucks, FUCK THE FUTURE.  I hope it never comes.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:05:55 AM

I dream big.

If the future doesn't have gigantic fucking lizards and praying mantises the size of Mack trucks, FUCK THE FUTURE.  I hope it never comes.
See, now giant lizards i can get behind. GOJIRA! :argh!:

Chelagoras The Boulder

though am i the only one hoping for seamless cyborg upgrades before genetic enhancements?

Don Coyote

redundant blood circulating organs.
something to replace the shitty teeth we have.
more efficient digestion so we can use that torso space for a centrally located armored brain.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 22, 2013, 04:56:34 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:05:55 AM

I dream big.

See, now giant lizards i can get behind. GOJIRA! :argh!:

And guinea worms big enough to knock you down and take your lunch.

GUINEA WORMS!

(google it, and admire mother nature for the fucking psycho that she really is.  Also, digger wasps.  And tarantula hawks for the more advanced students out there.)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 05:08:59 AM
redundant blood circulating organs.
something to replace the shitty teeth we have.
more efficient digestion so we can use that torso space for a centrally located armored brain.

Second set of eyes on the sides of our heads, like birds have, so we can see the fucking leopards coming.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Sky Sharks. That is all.

Don Coyote

Telarus

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 22, 2013, 05:49:19 AM
Sky Sharks. That is all.

Shit, that means we need flying jet-skies.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!