A Proposal to Classify Happiness as a Psychiatric Disorder by Richard P. Benta

Started by Bu🤠ns, October 22, 2013, 02:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

I really hate people who make that 'madness is hilarious!!' line.

Its not.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 22, 2013, 05:57:08 PM
I really hate people who make that 'madness is hilarious!!' line.

Its not.

That's because "madness" is being equating with "silliness".

There are two kinds of madness:  Mental illness, which is no fun at all, and the sort of madness that leads otherwise rational people into things like Dachau, which is even less fun.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Demolition Squid

Yeah.

Silliness is great! Mental illness is not 'silliness', but the conflation of the two causes a hell of a lot of problems for sufferers.

MMIX

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 04:48:40 PM
Quote from: MMIX on October 22, 2013, 10:53:39 AM
Not so much a take on normality as a side-swipe at the Madness Industry.

Bentall is a really interesting dissenting voice when it comes to psychiatry etc.

http://edhalliwell.com/richard-bentall-interview.html

And the OP had me laughing my socks off

I love it when people contradict what I said, only to restate it in different terms. :roll:

"It's not a take on normalcy, it's a side-swipe at the madness industry"

You're an idiot, fuck off.
I contradicted you because you were wrong and I said you were wrong in traditionally neutral academic language. I did not restate your point in different terms I  politely said you were wrong.
I have no idea what you intended to convey by your statement:
You incorrectly wrongly put it in quotation marks when it is neither anything like what you said nor an accurate representation of what I said.

I suspect you didn't read the actual paper or, as so often is the case, you are just trolling to be a cunt and because you don't like me. Which is sad, but I guess I'll survive.
BTW I'm glad the paper I linked to was appreciated by Burns.

I am not an idiot, I am an industry professional [retired/recovering]. And you are a second year community college student who talks incessantly about her PhD plans. I hope you get one, I really really do, I'm all in favour of education - but, bright as you are you don't have one yet.

Just saying.

Now, it is my partner's birthday which is going to involve a delicious curry, and I am much more interested in feeding her than in feeding some internet troll with a bad attitude
Goodnight everyone 
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on October 22, 2013, 06:07:14 PM

Bentall is a really interesting dissenting voice when it comes to psychiatry etc.

I love it when people contradict what I said, only to restate it in different terms. :roll:

I contradicted you because you were wrong and I said you were wrong in traditionally neutral academic language. I did not restate your point in different terms I  politely said you were wrong.
You incorrectly wrongly put it in quotation marks when it is neither anything like what you said nor an accurate representation of what I said.

I suspect you didn't read the actual paper or, as so often is the case, you are just trolling to be a cunt and because you don't like me. Which is sad, but I guess I'll survive.

I am not an idiot, I am an industry professional [retired/recovering]. And you are a second year community college student who talks incessantly about her PhD plans. I hope you get one, I really really do, I'm all in favour of education - but, bright as you are you don't have one yet.

Just saying.

Now, it is my partner's birthday which is going to involve a delicious curry, and I am much more interested in feeding her than in feeding some internet troll with a bad attitude
Goodnight everyone

It's not night time.  It's 10 AM.  Just saying.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Demolition Squid

I think MMIX is the same brit ass who decided to write off anything I had to say in an awesomely condescending fashion due to my age, a few years back. Same appeal to seniority crap that's being pulled here.

In which case it is 6pm, and they're still a douchebag. Good to know.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 22, 2013, 06:14:31 PM
I think MMIX is the same brit ass who decided to write off anything I had to say in an awesomely condescending fashion due to my age, a few years back. Same appeal to seniority crap that's being pulled here.

In which case it is 6pm, and they're still a douchebag. Good to know.

She's been writing me off since the MysticWicks era.

I judge myself on the sort of people who give me the royal sniff.   :lulz:

Demolition Squid

I'm just glad she's keeping up the fine tradition of asserting her age and real life status to belittle those who disagree with her rather than providing a substantive rebuttal to whatever points they are making.

For a 'mental health professional' who has been a part of this community for so long, it is amazing how she has failed to learn how the people here are likely to react.

AFK

I love it when people contradict what I said, only to restate it in different terms. ::)

Just saying.

Goodnight everyone

Oh shit....well, you've seen how this will end up.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Just saying.

Goodnight everyone

You making anyone "wrong" is a joke, but I guess everyone has to have something to aspire to.

What do you think "a take on normalcy" is? Considering that normalcy, in terms of mental health, is defined by the psychological community? :lol:

You are still a fucking idiot. And apparently a drunk one. Fuck off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 05:34:38 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 07:26:47 AM
It's an interesting take on normalcy nonetheless.

Derp.
Well, i read his post completely wrong.
Also, as you said, Derp.
I'm going home to wash my shoes while feeling like an idiot.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 22, 2013, 06:25:40 PM
Oh shit....well, you've seen how this will end up.

At this point, I am taking bets on how long it will take for RWHN to side with Brother Nihil.   :lulz: