News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

An end-run around gerrymandering?

Started by LMNO, October 22, 2013, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Some of you poli-sci folk want to take a crack at this?

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/20/a_modest_proposal_to_neutralize_gerrymandering/

If you register as the party that controls your disctrict, you can make decisions on who wins primaries.

Junkenstein

I see what he's getting at, but I'm not sold on this being a viable way to change the system. It seems more like "How do I collude with the system less".

What could be much, much more fun would be to register to vote and then publicise the hell out of the worst candidates. In a positive "I'm HELPING" fashion. Make your own side want to vote for the less crazy option. Because they don't want to support the known lunatic.

This is all pretty much moot anyway as I'd suspect the numbers required to do this effectively are nowhere near possible. For every kool kid you convince that this is the way you've got a crazy senile guy who will shoot you before voting for X. (note to self, fairly sure the US has an aging population. Check this or maybe someone knows)
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 22, 2013, 11:53:17 PM
I see what he's getting at, but I'm not sold on this being a viable way to change the system. It seems more like "How do I collude with the system less".

What could be much, much more fun would be to register to vote and then publicise the hell out of the worst candidates. In a positive "I'm HELPING" fashion. Make your own side want to vote for the less crazy option. Because they don't want to support the known lunatic.

This is all pretty much moot anyway as I'd suspect the numbers required to do this effectively are nowhere near possible. For every kool kid you convince that this is the way you've got a crazy senile guy who will shoot you before voting for X. (note to self, fairly sure the US has an aging population. Check this or maybe someone knows)
The average number of offspring per woman is a good indication. USA has 2.061.
2 would be a replacement rate, this means there is no population growth from reproduction. Then the only influences on average age would be health services and immigration. Since the health services have consistently been getting better over the last decades and immigration is mostly done by young adults2 you can assume that having a replacementrate close to two would mean the population has on average been getting older at the same rate that health services have been getting better minus the effect of immigrants.

1https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html
2http://cis.org/2012-profile-of-americas-foreign-born-population#7
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Nephew Twiddleton

Another good indicator is how well the funeral industry is doing.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Junkenstein

Appreciated, I'm clearly wrong there.

So maybe the way to play it is to push immigrants towards the parties that dislike them?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 23, 2013, 04:15:17 PM

So maybe the way to play it is to push immigrants towards the parties that dislike them?

There is something very wrong about the way that sounds.  Not quite the "P" word, nor the "R", but it's getting close.

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 23, 2013, 04:15:17 PM

There is something very wrong about the way that sounds.  Not quite the "P" word, nor the "R", but it's getting close.

It is terribly worded.

What I'm thinking is that the parties that actively oppose your interests are the ones you probably have more of a chance of influencing, even if it is in a negative fashion. For example, immigrants join tea party rallies on mass shouting about how bad immigration is. Agreement with them means agreeing with one of them.  There's probably enough closet and open racists in the tea party for things to fall to shit if there was decent percentage of non-white people involved.

If this sounds stupid, it probably is. My head is all over the show today dealing with idiot problems.