News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 06:38:28 PM
From where I am sitting it looks like the term "Atheist" has been thoroughly hijacked by those who would use it to form a group identity that is reliant on the idea of relative worth.

The only one who used the term that way in this thread has been you, Roger and I, specifically to discuss the kind of atheist that don't post in Discordian forums.

I've seen the rest of the internet and I share your frustration, but do you really have to bring that tribal bullshit to the one sane forum on the internet?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 06:39:23 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 06:37:08 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 06:30:13 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 06:00:25 PM
Dude, be more specific with your terminology, or SHUT UP.

What do you want? Atheists. People who identify as Atheists. People who revolve a portion of their identity around being part of a group that believes that God doesn't exist.

Atheists. How much more specific do you want me to get? It's an ugly group that's getting uglier, which is why, although at one time I would have called myself an atheist, I won't anymore, because there is now a group identity of "Atheist" that I want nothing to do with.

And every Muslim is an extremist.

Islam is a group of closely related religions. Atheism is...?

a group of people that die various reasons disinclined to believe in the supernatural or paranormal or to acknowledge the existence of one or more gods or the validity of the worship there of, and and of of them are fucking asshats that condemn outsiders fit not shading their beliefs.

Demolition Squid

Fucking Americans. From where I'm sittong, with their revisionist history, appalling racism and military fetishization they are basically the same as nazis.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 23, 2013, 06:47:57 PM
Fucking Americans. From where I'm sittong, with their revisionist history, appalling racism and military fetishization they are basically the same as nazis.

More accurate than the OP.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Cain, with you, religion is a non-issue unless people are acting like wingnuts or trying to implement a theocracy.

I don't get face time with many atheists (Texas... :x ) and so haven't met enough to develop any aversions. I see things on facebook poking fun at the Religion Of The Easter Bunny or whatever you want to call it, and a lot of it's pretty funny. I haven't been hanging around any hardcore uniform-wearing atheists, I'm just not attracted to having stuff pushed on me even if it's the opposite of what people normally try to shove down my throat.

But I can see what Nigel's talking about. Just because I entertain the idea that there *might* be some intelligence outside of what I'm capable of perceiving doesn't mean I'm some moron teabagger, and I wouldn't care to be lumped in with that.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM
...basically at the heart of it, they're the same thing. Insecure people looking for a group to belong to that makes them feel superior to another group through no doing of their own.

Wow, what the fuck.  Where did this idiocy spring from?

I know I'm 3 pages late on this, but jesus Nigel, you are too smart for generalizing troll comments like this.  What prompted this?

And Roger, I think you should know me well enough by now to know that I try really fucking hard to never give rote answers to anyone.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 06:30:13 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 06:00:25 PM
Dude, be more specific with your terminology, or SHUT UP.

What do you want? Atheists. People who identify as Atheists. People who revolve a portion of their identity around being part of a group that believes that God doesn't exist.

Atheists. How much more specific do you want me to get? It's an ugly group that's getting uglier, which is why, although at one time I would have called myself an atheist, I won't anymore, because there is now a group identity of "Atheist" that I want nothing to do with.

You know what?  Nevermind.  I can see where this "conversation" is going already.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Anna Mae Bollocks

Maybe the question here is how prevalent are asshole atheists vs. atheists who are simply intelligent people without religious inclinations, or whatever you want to call it? It's probably impossible to get data on that, but Nigel's talking like it's a Thing that's taken hold. I've learned not to be quick to dismiss what she posts, and the west coast gets a lot of things first anyway, before they spread everywhere else.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

Hoops, keep in mind that Not your Nigel is, well, not Nigel.  It's Coyote.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Even if shitneck Atheist Douchebags are the majority, it's not right to lump all atheists in with them. Atheism has a definition that has nothing to do with being a shitneck, and if some of them suck it's because they'd be bad people no matter what uniform they put on in the morning.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:25:40 PM

Not your Nigel is Nigel
Don Nigel is Coyote

East Coast Hustle

What is this dumbfuck bullshit and what is it doing here at PD?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 07:28:06 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:25:40 PM

Not your Nigel is Nigel
Don Nigel is Coyote

Oh. 

Huh.

I wouldn't have expected Nigel to make a statement like that.  Truth be told, I wouldn't have expected Coyote to, either.

Huh.

LMNO
-Bemused.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I don't know what's going on either. At first I thought it might be my sick brain misreading things, but now I'm more inclined to think RWHN is slowly poisoning us all.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm just curious as to how many people in this thread were offended, and said so, when P3NT called me a "faithfool" about 20 times.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.