News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

And that was in that thread, after I lost my shit.

Hang on, while I dig up one of the earlier ones.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:06:31 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 23, 2013, 08:01:05 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 07:50:26 PM
I'm just curious as to how many people in this thread were offended, and said so, when P3NT called me a "faithfool" about 20 times.

I can't say that I was, then again I can't recall offhand the thread. P3nt said something, you disagreed and I thought it was generally determined as not exactly helping discourse.

I've re-typed the above a few times because I'm still trying to work out what the fuck has gone on here.

Not sure myself.  From what I gather, it's okay to broad-brush non-atheists, but not to do it to atheists.

Either that, or Twid and I personally can be shat on, but not anyone else.

I mean, I have in the past couple of days, had people REPEATEDLY IGNORE what the fuck I was saying about faith vs rationalism, so they could post GIGANTIC STRAWMAN ARGUMENTS that look like they were more or less fucking cut and pasted from Dawkins or whoever the flavor of the fucking month is.  I have been the recipient of slurs.  ONE person spoke up for me.  ONE FUCKING PERSON.

So, beyond being less than outraged by Nigel's statement, I am in fact more than a little pissed off by the outrage at her statement, because it's SELECTIVE AS FUCKING HELL.

Right, I think I've started to see what's going on.

Nigel's trolling and got the exact expected reaction. I had assumed (most) posters had already played out the atheistVSgod argument enough time to be fairly certain in their (non) beliefs.

Which is pretty much what it always comes down to and back to. Beliefs and labels. You can recite the arguments each way. We ALL can. Sooner or later you pick your stance and get nice and comfy.  Actual atheism is literally as important as you make it. If you're constantly running around shouting about space teapots, then good for you. Don't be surprised when you're not at any parties, just like the guy who only talk about X.

There's some kind of lesson here, but I'm no teacher.

5 new replies? Dontgiveafuck.gif
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Don Coyote

let me see if got this right.  you're saying that no one is allowed get pissed about this because we didn't jump in pent for being a dick, and because the ones who did only did so after you got pissed?
so our outrage is validated only when we have supported your outrage?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:14:40 PM
And that was in that thread, after I lost my shit.

Hang on, while I dig up one of the earlier ones.

That's the one I remember reading, not denying that I may have missed others. Demo Squid also spoke up at length, I'm not sure if I missed anyone else as I was trying to scroll back to the first post in the argument.

The point is the way I assume things work around here is when people are wrong it's our job to call them on their bullshit, whether it's you or Nigel or P3nt or Twid or RHWN. P3nt got chewed out for being wrong, Nigel is getting chewed out for being wrong. I'm sure I'm gonna be a moron soon and need some medicine too. It seems like the system is currently functional. I know there is the problem that you're perceived as being tough enough to deal with this shit on your own, so when you start in on someone a lot of times people will shrug and go "Roger's got it" instead of jumping in themselves, but I don't see how that should translate to "not enough people defended Roger, so no one should call Nigel out this time around."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 23, 2013, 08:19:50 PM
let me see if got this right.  you're saying that no one is allowed get pissed about this because we didn't jump in pent for being a dick, and because the ones who did only did so after you got pissed?
so our outrage is validated only when we have supported your outrage?

No, I'm saying that I am less than human.  Only certain people with the right beliefs are human.  WHICH SOUNDS REALLY FUCKING FAMILIAR, IF YOU ASK ME.

And I am fucking off.  Because instead of getting a response I get FUCK OFF. 

SO I'M GOING TO FUCK OFF.

DOUR,
Fucking off.  The eggshells hurt my fucking feet too fucking much.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 08:21:51 PM
I know there is the problem that you're perceived as being tough enough to deal with this shit on your own, so when you start in on someone a lot of times people will shrug and go "Roger's got it" instead of jumping in themselves, but I don't see how that should translate to "not enough people defended Roger, so no one should call Nigel out this time around."

That's one way to look at it, I suppose.

From THIS end it looks a little different.  It looks very fucking different, indeed.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 07:28:06 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:25:40 PM
Hoops, keep in mind that Not your Nigel is, well, not Nigel.  It's Coyote.

Not your Nigel is Nigel
Don Nigel is Coyote

That's what I thought in the beginning.

Undoing my edits.  :x :x :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Don Coyote

ok. si from now on we have ti leap to your defense even if all we cam add is "you're a dick" whenever someone is being a shitstain to you or Nigel or religious people
you have a fucking list of topics I should be aware of so in the future I chime in with my two cents?
I don't want anyone to think that I view people as being lesser for stupid reasons but evidently that is the diving case right fucking now.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:23:41 PM
I know there is the problem that you're perceived as being tough enough to deal with this shit on your own, so when you start in on someone a lot of times people will shrug and go "Roger's got it" instead of jumping in themselves, but I don't see how that should translate to "not enough people defended Roger, so no one should call Nigel out this time around."

From THIS end it looks a little different.  It looks very fucking different, indeed.

If it's any consolation, I'm usually in this camp.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

What I'm saying is, the people who got so lit up in THIS thread saw nothing wrong with the other thread, or didn't want to say anything, which is even WORSE.

Demosquid gets a pass, because he did in fact speak up.

But do you have any idea how much that fucking rankles?  How fucking hate-filling that is?  I didn't think much at the time, because I really honestly believed that people weren't bothered by the subject at all.  I didn't AGREE, but I didn't think it was worth shitting the bed over.

Now EVERYONE'S mad because Nigel said something rotten about a different group.  The RIGHT group.  The locally dominant group.

And, you know, this has happened in fairly recent history.  I do NOT claim to know how Jews feel, or Blacks in the 1970s.  But I think I've caught a whiff of it.

DOUR,
Untermensch.

Q. G. Pennyworth

You are an intimidating person. I don't think it's a thing you do on purpose or have any control over, but it's difficult to overcome the notion that it would be fucking presumptuous to stand up for you. I know I've said some dumb shit because I was still stuck seeing you as a force of nature rather than a person.

I know I didn't jump in on that thread and I probably should have, but believe me I get into the fight about treating people with religion like morons all the damn time irl. It's kinda exhausting.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 23, 2013, 08:29:31 PM
ok. si from now on we have ti leap to your defense even if all we cam add is "you're a dick" whenever someone is being a shitstain to you or Nigel or religious people
you have a fucking list of topics I should be aware of so in the future I chime in with my two cents?
I don't want anyone to think that I view people as being lesser for stupid reasons but evidently that is the diving case right fucking now.

No, you should just tell me to fuck off.  It's all that's required.

I'm not actually a person after all.  You can just scream at me like I'm a dog shitting on the carpet.

LMNO

I dunno, DOUR.  P3nts thread led to some really good posts by you talking about the (lack of) emperical experiments for God, and the split between science, politics, and faith, all of which had more than three people backing you up, myself included.

Sure, that thread might not have seen much action, but the other ones relating to the same topic certainly did.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 08:32:26 PM

You are an intimidating person. I don't think it's a thing you do on purpose or have any control over, but it's difficult to overcome the notion that it would be fucking presumptuous to stand up for you. I know I've said some dumb shit because I was still stuck seeing you as a force of nature rather than a person.

I know I didn't jump in on that thread and I probably should have, but believe me I get into the fight about treating people with religion like morons all the damn time irl. It's kinda exhausting.

I'm not going to say I hate atheists, because that would be saying "I hate my own son".  But I am going to say that I have had it up to fucking HERE with the condescending bullshit, the putting words in my mouth that directly contradict or have nothing to do with anything I actually said, etc.

In fact, I don't think I ever want to discuss religion, faith, or atheism on this board ever again.  Because YOU CAN'T HAVE A FUCKING DISCUSSION ABOUT IT.  I refer you to Kai's posts on my religion thread, the ones that completely ignored what I DID fucking say and addressed something I NEVER DID FUCKING SAY.  I refer you to P3NT sneeringly discounting anything I have to say, because I belong to a group he feels CAN'T say anything worth listening to.

I refer you to the selective outrage.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:31:36 PM
What I'm saying is, the people who got so lit up in THIS thread saw nothing wrong with the other thread, or didn't want to say anything, which is even WORSE.

Demosquid gets a pass, because he did in fact speak up.

But do you have any idea how much that fucking rankles?  How fucking hate-filling that is?  I didn't think much at the time, because I really honestly believed that people weren't bothered by the subject at all.  I didn't AGREE, but I didn't think it was worth shitting the bed over.

Now EVERYONE'S mad because Nigel said something rotten about a different group.  The RIGHT group.  The locally dominant group.

And, you know, this has happened in fairly recent history.  I do NOT claim to know how Jews feel, or Blacks in the 1970s.  But I think I've caught a whiff of it.

DOUR,
Untermensch.

No, she said something about me. I don't expect you to fight my battles, Roger, and I expect the same in return.

For what it's worth, I think faith is a rather useless trait, and I don't put much stock in it. I consider the term "faithfool" the same as I do "christard"... That is to say childish and demeaning. But again, I didn't know your personal beliefs, and so had no reason to think he was referring specifically to you. Though again, I am aware you are quite capable of defending yourself. You do make a good point about my blindness to concepts which do not immediately effect me, which is a matter u will give considerable thought to, but I hope you can understand why I don't jump to your defence every time someone says something to you that you don't like.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman