News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 23, 2013, 06:47:57 PM
Fucking Americans. From where I'm sittong, with their revisionist history, appalling racism and military fetishization they are basically the same as nazis.

That's probably not too far from the truth.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 06:49:06 PM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 23, 2013, 06:47:57 PM
Fucking Americans. From where I'm sittong, with their revisionist history, appalling racism and military fetishization they are basically the same as nazis.

More accurate than the OP.

You don't think that people who identify themselves with the group label "Atheist" are basically insecure people looking for a group to belong to that makes them feel superior to another group through no doing of their own?

Because I've definitely seen that trait to some degree or other in everyone I've met who identifies as Atheist.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 23, 2013, 07:25:40 PM
Hoops, keep in mind that Not your Nigel is, well, not Nigel.  It's Coyote.

No, I'm not.  :p

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 07:27:40 PM
Even if shitneck Atheist Douchebags are the majority, it's not right to lump all atheists in with them. Atheism has a definition that has nothing to do with being a shitneck, and if some of them suck it's because they'd be bad people no matter what uniform they put on in the morning.

I'm not lumping in all atheists, as in people with an atheistic worldview, with Atheists.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 23, 2013, 07:29:26 PM
What is this dumbfuck bullshit and what is it doing here at PD?

Just calling people white, again. Look at that sore-ass nerve sticking out, and how people are jumping to not have to THINK about it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 07:50:26 PM
I'm just curious as to how many people in this thread were offended, and said so, when P3NT called me a "faithfool" about 20 times.

Ding ding ding ding ding.

Faust

The reason they are so prevalent and disheartening to run into is pretty simple.

People who believe or disbelieve and are comfortable with discussing the topic of religion don't actively seek out communities, we may be one of the few exceptions though we fall down sometimes.

The atheist community, isn't a think tank, or discussion group interested in the ramifications of being an atheist. They are people with severe emotional hangups about their own atheism who want to shout at theists and convince them they are wrong.

That's why Discordianism seemed so cool to me when I first found out about it. It was closer to the scientific method of analysis, and removing the human element, than anything I had encountered when seeking out other atheists.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:00:28 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on October 23, 2013, 07:59:18 PM
Fuck this place.
I don't even remember if spine out against peny being an edgy ass for the billionth time in a way pissed Nigel off.

so fuck you and Nigel

What?  Not being facetious here, I didn't understand at all what you were trying to say.

But the end tells me what I need to know.  We're at that point AGAIN.  AGAIN.

Well, thinking about our precious beliefs HURTS, DOUR, it HURTS. If we can't hold on to ONE SINGLE THING that's precious and makes us feel superior without ever questioning why we hold onto it or why it makes us feel superior, what's the point of having anything at all? After all, what's important is that we need to know that it's US that are smart and THEM that are the problem, right?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on October 23, 2013, 11:36:27 PM
The reason they are so prevalent and disheartening to run into is pretty simple.

People who believe or disbelieve and are comfortable with discussing the topic of religion don't actively seek out communities, we may be one of the few exceptions though we fall down sometimes.

The atheist community, isn't a think tank, or discussion group interested in the ramifications of being an atheist. They are people with severe emotional hangups about their own atheism who want to shout at theists and convince them they are wrong.

That's why Discordianism seemed so cool to me when I first found out about it. It was closer to the scientific method of analysis, and removing the human element, than anything I had encountered when seeking out other atheists.

Yes, and thank you for acknowledging the hangups, which IME, as you say, translates as insecurity.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:06:31 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 23, 2013, 08:01:05 PM
I'm just curious as to how many people in this thread were offended, and said so, when P3NT called me a "faithfool" about 20 times.

I can't say that I was, then again I can't recall offhand the thread. P3nt said something, you disagreed and I thought it was generally determined as not exactly helping discourse.

I've re-typed the above a few times because I'm still trying to work out what the fuck has gone on here.

Not sure myself.  From what I gather, it's okay to broad-brush non-atheists, but not to do it to atheists.

Either that, or Twid and I personally can be shat on, but not anyone else.

I mean, I have in the past couple of days, had people REPEATEDLY IGNORE what the fuck I was saying about faith vs rationalism, so they could post GIGANTIC STRAWMAN ARGUMENTS that look like they were more or less fucking cut and pasted from Dawkins or whoever the flavor of the fucking month is.  I have been the recipient of slurs.  ONE person spoke up for me.  ONE FUCKING PERSON.

So, beyond being less than outraged by Nigel's statement, I am in fact more than a little pissed off by the outrage at her statement, because it's SELECTIVE AS FUCKING HELL.

Yeah well, y'know.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 11:33:42 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 07:27:40 PM
Even if shitneck Atheist Douchebags are the majority, it's not right to lump all atheists in with them. Atheism has a definition that has nothing to do with being a shitneck, and if some of them suck it's because they'd be bad people no matter what uniform they put on in the morning.

I'm not lumping in all atheists, as in people with an atheistic worldview, with Atheists.

Then maybe you might want a better label for the subset of atheists you don't like. Personally, I think the ones being jerks are serving an important -- if annoying -- purpose, by forcing people to recognize the fact that not everyone is part of the dominant religion. You don't get very far in those types of fights by being nice and quiet.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 23, 2013, 08:18:24 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:06:31 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 23, 2013, 08:01:05 PM

I can't say that I was, then again I can't recall offhand the thread. P3nt said something, you disagreed and I thought it was generally determined as not exactly helping discourse.

I've re-typed the above a few times because I'm still trying to work out what the fuck has gone on here.

Not sure myself.  From what I gather, it's okay to broad-brush non-atheists, but not to do it to atheists.

Either that, or Twid and I personally can be shat on, but not anyone else.

I mean, I have in the past couple of days, had people REPEATEDLY IGNORE what the fuck I was saying about faith vs rationalism, so they could post GIGANTIC STRAWMAN ARGUMENTS that look like they were more or less fucking cut and pasted from Dawkins or whoever the flavor of the fucking month is.  I have been the recipient of slurs.  ONE person spoke up for me.  ONE FUCKING PERSON.

So, beyond being less than outraged by Nigel's statement, I am in fact more than a little pissed off by the outrage at her statement, because it's SELECTIVE AS FUCKING HELL.

Right, I think I've started to see what's going on.

Nigel's trolling and got the exact expected reaction. I had assumed (most) posters had already played out the atheistVSgod argument enough time to be fairly certain in their (non) beliefs.

Which is pretty much what it always comes down to and back to. Beliefs and labels. You can recite the arguments each way. We ALL can. Sooner or later you pick your stance and get nice and comfy.  Actual atheism is literally as important as you make it. If you're constantly running around shouting about space teapots, then good for you. Don't be surprised when you're not at any parties, just like the guy who only talk about X.

There's some kind of lesson here, but I'm no teacher.

5 new replies? Dontgiveafuck.gif

Trolling? You could call it that, I guess. If you wanna also call my previous threads on race and privilege "trolling" you could go there too if you really want to.

Hoping to elicit emotion followed by discomfort followed by dialogue, is more like it.

This is NOT an atheistVSgod thread, and if you think it is you are completely missing the point.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:14:40 PM
And that was in that thread, after I lost my shit.

Hang on, while I dig up one of the earlier ones.

That's the one I remember reading, not denying that I may have missed others. Demo Squid also spoke up at length, I'm not sure if I missed anyone else as I was trying to scroll back to the first post in the argument.

The point is the way I assume things work around here is when people are wrong it's our job to call them on their bullshit, whether it's you or Nigel or P3nt or Twid or RHWN. P3nt got chewed out for being wrong, Nigel is getting chewed out for being wrong. I'm sure I'm gonna be a moron soon and need some medicine too. It seems like the system is currently functional. I know there is the problem that you're perceived as being tough enough to deal with this shit on your own, so when you start in on someone a lot of times people will shrug and go "Roger's got it" instead of jumping in themselves, but I don't see how that should translate to "not enough people defended Roger, so no one should call Nigel out this time around."

I'm not wrong though. Try it out and see for yourself.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 11:44:09 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 23, 2013, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 23, 2013, 08:14:40 PM
And that was in that thread, after I lost my shit.

Hang on, while I dig up one of the earlier ones.

That's the one I remember reading, not denying that I may have missed others. Demo Squid also spoke up at length, I'm not sure if I missed anyone else as I was trying to scroll back to the first post in the argument.

The point is the way I assume things work around here is when people are wrong it's our job to call them on their bullshit, whether it's you or Nigel or P3nt or Twid or RHWN. P3nt got chewed out for being wrong, Nigel is getting chewed out for being wrong. I'm sure I'm gonna be a moron soon and need some medicine too. It seems like the system is currently functional. I know there is the problem that you're perceived as being tough enough to deal with this shit on your own, so when you start in on someone a lot of times people will shrug and go "Roger's got it" instead of jumping in themselves, but I don't see how that should translate to "not enough people defended Roger, so no one should call Nigel out this time around."

I'm not wrong though. Try it out and see for yourself.

I'm sick and kinda slow today, could you clarify "try it out"?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on October 23, 2013, 09:10:31 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM
...basically at the heart of it, they're the same thing. Insecure people looking for a group to belong to that makes them feel superior to another group through no doing of their own.

And now you get to feel superior to them! Yay, stupidity is fun.

If you think I started this thread to feel superior, I will make a mental note of what you think of me and move on.