The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on October 24, 2013, 08:26:44 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 24, 2013, 08:24:26 PM
A bit of a side point but what if someones god isnt an imaginary sky thing? I think thats also a point where we get annoyed by atheists. They seem to always trivialise it as imaginary sky creature or magical sky daddy or invisible sky gnome. Whats with the sky? Not all gods are sky gods or even comparable to each other in many ways. It supports nigels point about defining yourself by something that youre not. Atheism might not have a god but it sure seems like it has a devil sometimes.

Because most people understand that the discussion is not about Poseidon.
Its not? I thought atheism was a selection of all gods including poseidon. Not that i was refering to that either but rather a more pantheistic concept.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 24, 2013, 08:34:34 PM
A bit of a side point but what if someones god isnt an imaginary sky thing? I think thats also a point where we get annoyed by atheists. They seem to always trivialise it as imaginary sky creature or magical sky daddy or invisible sky gnome. Whats with the sky? Not all gods are sky gods or even comparable to each other in many ways. It supports nigels point about defining yourself by something that youre not. Atheism might not have a god but it sure seems like it has a devil sometimes.

Its not? I thought atheism was a selection of all gods including poseidon. Not that i was refering to that either but rather a more pantheistic concept.

It is, but if the prevailing culture steadfastly worships Barbie, I don't see the point in wasting my time discussing Lite-Brite.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on October 24, 2013, 08:36:44 PM

It is, but if the prevailing culture steadfastly worships Barbie, I don't see the point in wasting my time discussing Lite-Brite.
So the purpose is specifically oppose the abrahamic concept of god. Even though people of that persuasion do not literally see him as a sky god?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

So if you're going after wingnut Christians, go after them. The thing is, if you're doing it under an Atheist banner, by definition of "atheist" all non-Atheists are collateral damage.

Wahoo.  :kingmeh:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 24, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

So the purpose is specifically oppose the abrahamic concept of god. Even though people of that persuasion do not literally see him as a sky god?

Talking to an evangelical and talking to a Talmud scholar will get you wildly different concepts of "God".
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 08:27:28 PM
Well, I have learned my place.

See you at the back of the bus, Twid.

So you're more interested in being butthurt, then.

BTW, I feel like everybody is missing a key point in the whole "making fun of us for being spiritually-inclined is just like racism or sexis" thing, which is that nobody chooses to be born black or gay or a woman. That's really beside the point, though, the point being that this thread is 98% pointless butthurt.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

The common image of God is a man on a throne in heaven, in the sky.  I did not make this up.

And Stella, I assure you I disbelieve in all gods equally... except James Brown.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

I'd argue that anyone who attaches a purpose to it is doing it wrong.

But for conversational purposes, it's not very often that you encounter someone who literally believes in Neptune, and if I did and they made a point of mentioning it I certainly wouldn't be inclined to hold a serious discussion of any sort with them.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 08:27:28 PM
Well, I have learned my place.

See you at the back of the bus, Twid.

So you're more interested in being butthurt, then.

BTW, I feel like everybody is missing a key point in the whole "making fun of us for being spiritually-inclined is just like racism or sexis" thing, which is that nobody chooses to be born black or gay or a woman. That's really beside the point, though, the point being that this thread is 98% pointless butthurt.

Actually, you had me 169% with your "admin post".

Then you clarified. 

I don't expect you to give one shit what I believe in.  It would in fact be disturbing if you did.  But the fact is, you stated that a certain catagory of people are not worthy of consideration in any way, and I fall into that group.

So, it's not my "fee-fees" that are in question here, but my dignity and my status as a human being.

And the answer to those questions are that I don't have any, and I'm not one.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Lord Cataplanga

Great post LMNO! Can we now talk about what Nigel was actually saying again?
I was trying to actually engage in a productive conversation with Nigel ten pages or so ago, but it seems everyone prefered to talk about their hurt feelings, and about which religious group is more "privileged".

Anyway, back to what Nigel was saying, I agree that some assholes call themselves atheists, but saying that they "hijacked" the term and ruined it for the rest of us is a bit silly. Even if it were true, wouldn't saying that make you part of the problem? Like I said before, the only ones in this forum who actually use the word Atheist to mean something other than "someone who is not a theist" are Nigel and Roger, so from Cain's perspective (to put an example) it isn't assholes who have hijacked the term. It's Nigel. That's probably why he got angry.

He probably also made some unfortunate associations between what Nigel was saying and the kinds of idiotic things he often reads in tumblr, a subject he complained about before. Of course, Nigel isn't going to stop using the word "privilege" to mean what it actually means just because morons in tumblr are using the same word, just like Cain and Vex aren't going to stop using the word "atheist" just because some assholes in Reddit or wherever use the same word.

Nigel's actual point, about some atheists believing they are superior to theists just because they got the right answer in one of the most useless questions of philosophy is a good one, and it's not like atheists haven't talked about it to death and back already. It's shouldn't have been controversial.
Here's a lesswrong post about it, in case you can only take this idea seriously if it comes from someone of your own tribe:
lesswrong.com/lw/1ww/undiscriminating_skepticism/‎

East Coast Hustle

I mean I literally think that believing in a deity is no different than believing in the tooth fairy, BUT my lack of belief and/or someone else's beliefs of lack thereof are not something I would ever bring up in conversation. And I tend to view people that raise the topic with me in the same light no matter what their beliefs are or aren't.

East Coast Hustle

And I missed the part where making fun of someone for what they CHOOSE to believe or not believe is the same as dehumanizing them.

East Coast Hustle

I also think I've never encountered one of these Atheists that Nigel is talking about. If I did I'd give them just as hearty a dose of SHUT UP as any other preacher, but I have to wonder if this isn't the theological equivalent of "Uncle BadTouch is a pedo so Discordianism must condone pedophilia".

hooplala

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 08:48:31 PM

I was about to make the same point.  The reason I am not equivalent to a white supremacist is twofold: First, I don't feel superior to anyone who believes in a god, for all I know they might be right.  I don't have evidence against a god... all I have is what I believe in my heart to be true, and in this case I simply don't believe that the existence of god, or any gods, is very likely.  Second, your belief in a god is not inborn, like skin color.  You came to the decision that you believed it, in the exact same manner I came to the decision that I didn't... I don't agree with you, and yes it does seem about the same as Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy to me, I am sincerely sorry if that is insulting to anyone, and I mean that.  It doesn't change the way I feel or think, though, and I don't think it's comparable to a group of people who promote the subjugation and sometimes murder of those they disagree with.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 07:25:46 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 24, 2013, 07:15:37 PM
I am kinda irritated that I missed this other thread where P3nt was on a 'faithfool' roll.

There's a bunch:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,34426.msg1252627.html#msg1252627
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,20103.msg676136.html#msg676136
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,29201.msg1048386.html#msg1048386
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,12632.msg397627.html#msg397627
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,16871.msg549352.html#msg549352

My personal favorite:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,12832.msg404366.html#msg404366

And the one we were actually talking about:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,35552.0.html

I remember some of those. I've been avoiding responding to "faithfool" directly. Partially because when someone starts using slurs, it indicates that they're probably not going to be reasonable on that topic. Partially because I'm a coward and I need to practice NOT SHUTTING UP more.

I did once reply to someone talking about "xtians" and use the word Christian in my reply.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.