News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on October 24, 2013, 09:18:56 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on October 24, 2013, 09:14:23 PM
I agree with this. In fact, unless you are like O'brien from 1984, I don't think you can actually choose to believe something.

It doesn't fucking matter if it's a fucking choice.

That too. It's not like you are hurting anybody with your choice. Can we talk about something that isn't our hurt feelings, now?
What happened to German debate?

Why, yes, I'm perfectly capable of having a rational debate after being told by people I have known and respected for a decade that I'm not fully functional as a human being and that my choice of beliefs leads to peoples' heads falling off.

I am an emotionless robot.  I am actually not a seething fucking mass of resentment and hatred right now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:18:14 PM
HEY GUISE, ATHEISTS KILLED LOADS OF PEOPLE IN THE USSR, CHINA, AND LAOS FOR BEING RELIGIOUS.

THEREFORE, ATHEISM IS DANGEROUS.

HURRR HURRR

Felt dirty even satirizing those fuckwits on Facebook, but if the hockey helmet fits...

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:15:10 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 24, 2013, 09:12:18 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:08:33 PM
I don't see why it being a fucking choice makes any fucking difference whatsoever, assuming it IS a choice.  I don't see that for even one Goddamn minute.

I see The Other being created, over something that neither picks anyone's fucking pocket nor breaks their stupid fucking leg.  And it doesn't fucking matter why.

Except for the whole "I could be killed for saying what I believe" in many parts of the planet I am stuck on.

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,
Chopping apostate's heads off, BRB.

I don't paint a bunch of people with a broad brush, Roger, but yes there are places where people are murdered for being an apostate.  If you think I'm lumping you in with them, well then I guess you didn't know me very well to begin with.

Because, you know, when I complain about a drummer I saw in New York City, I'm actually talking about LMNO, because you know... all drummers are the same.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 24, 2013, 09:21:30 PM
I don't see why it being a fucking choice makes any fucking difference whatsoever, assuming it IS a choice.  I don't see that for even one Goddamn minute.

I see The Other being created, over something that neither picks anyone's fucking pocket nor breaks their stupid fucking leg.  And it doesn't fucking matter why.

Except for the whole "I could be killed for saying what I believe" in many parts of the planet I am stuck on.

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,

I don't paint a bunch of people with a broad brush, Roger, but yes there are places where people are murdered for being an apostate.  If you think I'm lumping you in with them, well then I guess you didn't know me very well to begin with.

Because, you know, when I complain about a drummer I saw in New York City, I'm actually talking about LMNO, because you know... all drummers are the same.

Perhaps, then, you can explain the difference between your response, and the retard shit I quoted just a little upthread?

Because it would really make me feel better if you did.

Lord Cataplanga

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,

You responded to something he said about his choice not hurting anybody. Saying that sometimes it did hurt people.
Of course he is going to think you were talking about him, given the context.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:22:58 PM

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,

Perhaps, then, you can explain the difference between your response, and the retard shit I quoted just a little upthread?

My post was directly in response to you saying that it all amounted to "something that neither picks anyone's fucking pocket nor breaks their stupid fucking leg", and I just wanted to point out that in some places it does amount to more than that.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Anna Mae Bollocks

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,

"One of the good ones".  :x :x :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:20:32 PM
Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on October 24, 2013, 09:18:56 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on October 24, 2013, 09:14:23 PM
I agree with this. In fact, unless you are like O'brien from 1984, I don't think you can actually choose to believe something.

It doesn't fucking matter if it's a fucking choice.

That too. It's not like you are hurting anybody with your choice. Can we talk about something that isn't our hurt feelings, now?
What happened to German debate?

Why, yes, I'm perfectly capable of having a rational debate after being told by people I have known and respected for a decade that I'm not fully functional as a human being and that my choice of beliefs leads to peoples' heads falling off.

I am an emotionless robot.  I am actually not a seething fucking mass of resentment and hatred right now.

Well, the faster we start acting like emotionally mature human beings and stop escalating the insults, the less lasting damage we will do to our abilities to take each other seriously. That goes for everyone here, not just you.

Really, the only way to stop this is for someone to let an insult slide instead of responding, so the stupid part of the discussion stops and we can go on with the intelligent part of the discussion.

It's like a reverse game of chicken. Now where did I put that steering wheel...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 24, 2013, 09:27:00 PM

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,

My post was directly in response to you saying that it all amounted to "something that neither picks anyone's fucking pocket nor breaks their stupid fucking leg", and I just wanted to point out that in some places it does amount to more than that.

Yes, and the relevance to this conversation is, after all, huge.  I should have been more sensitive to all the honor-killings and beheadings that occur in Toronto and Tucson.

You DO see that the brush in your hand is exactly as wide as the one Nigel used, don't you?  Because you tarred me with Mullah Omar, even if only marginally, by stating that Twid's and my beliefs are in fact connected with his?  And in doing so ignoring that such killings are political and not religious?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on October 24, 2013, 09:30:54 PM
Well, the faster we start acting like emotionally mature human beings

Leaving now.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:31:01 PM

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,

Yes, and the relevance to this conversation is, after all, huge.  I should have been more sensitive to all the honor-killings and beheadings that occur in Toronto and Tucson.

You DO see that the brush in your hand is exactly as wide as the one Nigel used, don't you?  Because you tarred me with Mullah Omar, even if only marginally, by stating that Twid's and my beliefs are in fact connected with his?  And in doing so ignoring that such killings are political and not religious?

Yes, he sees that. He is retaliating for a perceived insult, just like you. Both of you stop escalating, already.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:31:01 PM

Wow.  You went there.

DOUR,

No no, ok, I see that that makes sense.  I don't personally think its exactly the same thing, but your words have given me pause. I do see how it sounds bigoted, and that worries me.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:31:29 PM

Leaving now.

Did you get to the part about the reverse game of chicken?
Because breaking your steering wheel is what you are supposed to do in a normal game of chicken, not an inverted one  :sad:

EDIT: Sorry Roger. Sorry Hoopla. I'm like a walking Cassandra curse.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on October 24, 2013, 09:34:28 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:31:29 PM

Leaving now.

Did you get to the part about the reverse game of chicken?
Because breaking your steering wheel is what you are supposed to do in a normal game of chicken, not an inverted one  :sad:

Emotionally mature adults cannot be offended, never feel hurt, and don't mind being told that either of those things means they are not emotionally mature adults.

You arrogant bastard.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 24, 2013, 09:13:29 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 24, 2013, 09:07:44 PM
My problems with what Nigel has actually said:

1) Using the term "Atheist" to mean "this specific subset of assholes who identify as atheist." I find it to be just as wrong-headed as complaining about "Muslims" and then clarifying "well, not those nice ones, the guys who blow things up, and really you don't see them putting a stop to it so isn't it kind of their fault, too?"

2) "Atheism is privilege." I illustrated why I do not believe that to be the case based on my personal experience.

If that's braying about an enflamed ass, I have no idea what you nutbags think rational disagreement looks like anymore.

My post was about my behavior, not yours.

Wasn't addressing you, specifically, just the tone that's being thrown around a lot. Also entirely uncomfortable with the fact that this is being painted as "let's pounce on the woman talking up!" But that's not Nigel's doing.