News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 10:23:38 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:18:59 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 10:13:56 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:09:00 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:14:32 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 08:06:43 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 08:01:12 PM
This thread still doesn't make much sense, except perhaps as an illustration of the idea that even those among us who are the smartest and most respected thinkers are still capable of laying a giant turd right in the punch bowl and insisting that everyone drink up.

And just because so many of the people responding to the OP are dead wrong doesn't mean the OP isn't ALSO dead wrong. It's dumbfuckery all the way down the rabbit hole ITT.

That's the official rational "I'm the admin and we should really all try to get along a little better" response.

Now for my personal response:

Holy fucking shit, is it REALLY the year 2013 and we're still whining about peoples' idiotic religious beliefs and how they don't like it when people make fun of them for it?

Get the fuck over yourselves, retards. If you're dumb enough to believe in a deity then nobody should have any sympathy or concern for your backward little fee-fees. And if you're arrogant enough or insecure enough or just plain smug enough to think that anyone gives two shits about the fact that you've figured out that the imaginary sky creatures are, in fact, imaginary then you should go shave your neckbeard and throw your fucksock in the laundry hamper and maybe spend a little time thinking about the fact that people are different and which of those differences are important and which of them maybe aren't as big a deal as you think they are when you're ranting in your basement to people who don't know your real name.

ECH, do you care to see how this looked from my eyes?  Because I won't bother if you don't.

Absolutely. I honestly doubt you'll change my position on the matter but I'm willing to be swayed and I'd certainly like to make sure I understand what you're saying.

[hyperbole]

SPEAKING AS THE MANAGEMENT, THIS COMPANY WILL NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF AGE, RACE, GENDER, RELIGION, OR MARITAL STATUS.

Speaking as a person, get your stupid Jew asses back to work, ladies.  Thanks.

[/hyperbole]

I'm uncertain how you don't see your personal clarification to be dehumanizing.  I am in fact having a great deal of difficulty with that.  I understand what you were trying to do...ie, shame everyone back into acting reasonably, but that wasn't the message received.

What was received, at least to me, was that Twid and I are too stupid to be worth mentioning, much less consideration.  It's what you actually said.

The fact that you said it as a personal note makes it worse.

I think you misread me. Or perhaps I didn't do a good job of making myself clear. My point was that though I personally find the very idea of God (or gods) to be ridiculously silly, it's not something that's even on my radar when I'm talking to another person unless they bring it up first and that INCLUDES whether or not they're an atheist. I mean, who the fuck even brings shit like that up in conversation? It's rude. And I wouldn't like someone who talked loudly about their atheism any more than someone who talks loudly about their religion. So my point was that my personal opinion is totally irrelevant and why the fuck do any of you think yours ARE relevant? Why can't everybody just shut up about it because it's got about as much to do with fuck-all as the price of tea in China. So if that's dehumanizing, it's dehumanizing EVERYONE. Including me.

See, that was what I would have gotten, except for this clause:

QuoteIf you're dumb enough to believe in a deity then nobody should have any sympathy or concern for your backward little fee-fees.

I don't see how that could be taken any other way.

It's not like Twid and I are kicking in peoples' doors and stuffing a Gideon's bible up their asses.  It's a personal thing.  Hell, I went 9 years before I ever mentioned it, and now I really regret the fact that I felt secure enough here to mention it when I did.

In that, you are 169% correct.  Anyone who even discusses the topic should have their head examined.  I see that now.

We as a group are not up to the conversation.  I knew that the country sure as fuck wasn't, that much is obvious.  But I thought we were.

I think you missed the part where I was just as harsh on atheists. Basically, I was just harsh on anyone who still gives a crap about this crap.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on October 24, 2013, 09:58:18 PM
Well, I've come to the decision that my view of people who believe in gods is indeed bigoted. It's a rather disturbing realization to make. I still don't think insecurity has anything to do with it, but if Nigel's point was to get people to really examine their own prejudices, I guess it was a success.
Happens to all of us from time to time. 
:fistbump:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:25:48 PM
I think you missed the part where I was just as harsh on atheists. Basically, I was just harsh on anyone who still gives a crap about this crap.

I didn't miss it.  I will leave it to the atheists to be offended or not.

I can't see any further benefit in standing on principle, at least on this matter.  It's every man for himself.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

TBH, I feel like if you care enough about my personal opinion of theological subjects to be offended by them, that's your problem not mine. I certainly don't care enough about anybody's theology to take it personally and I'm not about to start now. I think I've made it pretty clear that my view of you (or anyone else) as a person is in no way predicated on your personal theology.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:33:46 PM
TBH, I feel like if you care enough about my personal opinion of theological subjects to be offended by them, that's your problem not mine. I certainly don't care enough about anybody's theology to take it personally and I'm not about to start now. I think I've made it pretty clear that my view of you (or anyone else) as a person is in no way predicated on your personal theology.

I'm not offended by the theology part of the argument.  Never have been.  I am bothered by the implication that my side of the coin makes me stupid, especially if the coin doesn't matter after all.

I don't care what anyone believes, so long as their beliefs don't interfere with my life (which is where it becomes a political issue).

I do care when people I've known for years suddenly think it's okay to throw slurs around, not caring who gets hit.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:25:48 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 10:23:38 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:18:59 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 10:13:56 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:09:00 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 09:14:32 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 08:06:43 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 08:01:12 PM
This thread still doesn't make much sense, except perhaps as an illustration of the idea that even those among us who are the smartest and most respected thinkers are still capable of laying a giant turd right in the punch bowl and insisting that everyone drink up.

And just because so many of the people responding to the OP are dead wrong doesn't mean the OP isn't ALSO dead wrong. It's dumbfuckery all the way down the rabbit hole ITT.

That's the official rational "I'm the admin and we should really all try to get along a little better" response.

Now for my personal response:

Holy fucking shit, is it REALLY the year 2013 and we're still whining about peoples' idiotic religious beliefs and how they don't like it when people make fun of them for it?

Get the fuck over yourselves, retards. If you're dumb enough to believe in a deity then nobody should have any sympathy or concern for your backward little fee-fees. And if you're arrogant enough or insecure enough or just plain smug enough to think that anyone gives two shits about the fact that you've figured out that the imaginary sky creatures are, in fact, imaginary then you should go shave your neckbeard and throw your fucksock in the laundry hamper and maybe spend a little time thinking about the fact that people are different and which of those differences are important and which of them maybe aren't as big a deal as you think they are when you're ranting in your basement to people who don't know your real name.

ECH, do you care to see how this looked from my eyes?  Because I won't bother if you don't.

Absolutely. I honestly doubt you'll change my position on the matter but I'm willing to be swayed and I'd certainly like to make sure I understand what you're saying.

[hyperbole]

SPEAKING AS THE MANAGEMENT, THIS COMPANY WILL NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF AGE, RACE, GENDER, RELIGION, OR MARITAL STATUS.

Speaking as a person, get your stupid Jew asses back to work, ladies.  Thanks.

[/hyperbole]

I'm uncertain how you don't see your personal clarification to be dehumanizing.  I am in fact having a great deal of difficulty with that.  I understand what you were trying to do...ie, shame everyone back into acting reasonably, but that wasn't the message received.

What was received, at least to me, was that Twid and I are too stupid to be worth mentioning, much less consideration.  It's what you actually said.

The fact that you said it as a personal note makes it worse.

I think you misread me. Or perhaps I didn't do a good job of making myself clear. My point was that though I personally find the very idea of God (or gods) to be ridiculously silly, it's not something that's even on my radar when I'm talking to another person unless they bring it up first and that INCLUDES whether or not they're an atheist. I mean, who the fuck even brings shit like that up in conversation? It's rude. And I wouldn't like someone who talked loudly about their atheism any more than someone who talks loudly about their religion. So my point was that my personal opinion is totally irrelevant and why the fuck do any of you think yours ARE relevant? Why can't everybody just shut up about it because it's got about as much to do with fuck-all as the price of tea in China. So if that's dehumanizing, it's dehumanizing EVERYONE. Including me.

See, that was what I would have gotten, except for this clause:

QuoteIf you're dumb enough to believe in a deity then nobody should have any sympathy or concern for your backward little fee-fees.

I don't see how that could be taken any other way.

It's not like Twid and I are kicking in peoples' doors and stuffing a Gideon's bible up their asses.  It's a personal thing.  Hell, I went 9 years before I ever mentioned it, and now I really regret the fact that I felt secure enough here to mention it when I did.

In that, you are 169% correct.  Anyone who even discusses the topic should have their head examined.  I see that now.

We as a group are not up to the conversation.  I knew that the country sure as fuck wasn't, that much is obvious.  But I thought we were.

Making sure you balance the offense doesnt make it less offensive.
Also my fee fees werent hurt. I expect this sort of disregard from atheists. And i shouldnt. Especially from an atheist i consider a friend.

tyrannosaurus vex

I have never seen a larger conflagration among people who are all, basically, arguing the exact same point.

BELIEVING IN A GOD OR GODS MEANS YOU ARE DUMB
CALLING YOURSELF AN ATHEIST MEANS YOU ARE INSECURE

These two statements are both saying exactly the same thing, and are both wrong for exactly the same reason.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 24, 2013, 10:41:10 PM
I have never seen a larger conflagration among people who are all, basically, arguing the exact same point.

These two statements are both saying exactly the same thing, and are both wrong for exactly the same reason.

Thread over.  V3X wins.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 10:42:28 PM

Thread over.  V3X wins.

No winners. No losers. Just... spags.
Spags everywhere.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 24, 2013, 10:44:51 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 24, 2013, 10:42:28 PM

Thread over.  V3X wins.

No winners. No losers. Just... spags.
Spags everywhere.

I'm gonna disagree.  I have managed to stress myself into feeling very, very ill.

So there are some losers.  At least one.

East Coast Hustle

Everybody I know believes all manner of dumb shit, including me. That the beliefs are, in this case, theologically-related carries no special import. That people don't like being told they believe dumb shit is, of course, not news. It also doesn't mean the shit's not still dumb. Nowhere is it written that just because somebody is a friend we have to validate or accept their dumb shit.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:51:22 PM
Everybody I know believes all manner of dumb shit, including me. That the beliefs are, in this case, theologically-related carries no special import. That people don't like being told they believe dumb shit is, of course, not news. It also doesn't mean the shit's not still dumb. Nowhere is it written that just because somebody is a friend we have to validate or accept their dumb shit.
Well what exactly makes it dumb shit? Your oversimplified caricature of a specific god?

Aucoq

Somewhere out there P3nt is running around with a cigar in his mouth and a blonde on each arm, completely unaware of the havoc he has caused. :lol:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 24, 2013, 11:00:04 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 10:51:22 PM
Well what exactly makes it dumb shit? Your oversimplified caricature of a specific god?

That's not very relevant, is it? If he didn't think that particular belief was dumb, there would definitely be something else that you believed that he thought was dumb. Doesn't mean he thinks you are dumb.

Everyone has some beliefs that are dumb, and obviously different people won't agree on which is which. It's not the end of the world.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Aucoq on October 24, 2013, 11:03:22 PM
Somewhere out there P3nt is running around with a cigar in his mouth and a blonde on each arm, completely unaware of the havoc he has caused. :lol:

:lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division