News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 11:43:17 PM
Upon further reflection, I feel I should apologize for calling anyone who believes in deities dumb when I meant to speak strictly of the belief itself. I didn't mean it to be inflammatorily dismissive but I can see how easily it would be taken that way.

I can see that.  Apology accepted absolutely.

Beliefs (of any kind)are by definition irrational, and one definition of dumb is irrationality.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on October 24, 2013, 11:39:31 PM
I don't agree with OP.

SO WHY DON'T YOU ALL GET FU-

Nah, uh, oh right:

I don't care so much about atheist, or similar shit, one way or another. It's like daily horoscopes, imo. They're...out there...somewhere, and they're a part of The Machine, somehow. But that's about it.

The town I live in is very religious, there's about as many churches as starbucks here, in strip malls and all. I've been to so damned different many. When you live around religious people and experience their community, you can come to miss it. Plus, I think many of the people who cling to religion is to feel superior, perhaps because our social demands are not being met because of the parasitic nature of our government, the effects of which trickle so far down...

If we can not attain status in the physically, we can maybe attain it spiritually.

When you leave, if you leave, there's a gap. Do people who've never experienced religion have that? Isn't that why we're all here arguing? Do you feel a gap when you've been away from the PD for some time (yeah, right).

Atheists have probably found some kind of community on the internet they didn't have before, and nothing binds people together like conflict. And who makes things hard on Atheists?

Of course, everyone make everything hard on everyone. Humans are rough with one another.

But when you're brain is in that place, possibly surrounded by people who constantly preach that YOU and what you THINK is causing all kinds of horrible shit in the world. That their devil is working through you.

Which, of course, is totally hilarious! And, of course, not all Christians are like that. Many are not like that. But there are many, many more who are like that. Vindictive, snide, cruel. To anyone who isn't like them, and also to those just like them.

But primate politics as they are, doesn't it make sense for them to band together about that hostility?

You get people who need some kind of way to identify that, not only are you reasonable, but you feel isolation and anger toward a larger, more powerful enemy. Maybe people miss that from religion as well?

Anyway, people get excited. As long as they're not setting people on fire...

It may be borne of insecurity, but I don't think it's unnatural.

All in all it still seems like make believe to me.

Or, indulging those who engage in make believe.

I think it's funny that The King James Bible has the word unicorn in it, mostly because people just accepted this. Why wouldn't they? And I'll use that sort of shit to talk with an obvious Atheist at a party, because it's funny! But I wouldn't argue with a Christian about it and rub it in their face. That's just petty.

Humans who take in reality with their brains and process it as reasonably as possible, given facts available, don't really need a descriptor, and religious thought neither prevents nor enables the ability to do so. Very, very reasonable people can still be very wrong, as I'm sure we've all seen. I do believe that's a meme-bomb, actually.

Which I've butchered. You've welcome.

Us vs Them, because THEY are BAD and WRONG.

Which is a perfectly acceptable strategy, so long as "us" means horrible bastards of Discordia, and "them" means everyone else.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 24, 2013, 11:43:17 PM
Upon further reflection, I feel I should apologize for calling anyone who believes in deities dumb when I meant to speak strictly of the belief itself. I didn't mean it to be inflammatorily dismissive but I can see how easily it would be taken that way.
But why is the belief dumb? Belief specifically in neptune might be dumb. But what of the feeling that theres some sort of meaning or purpose to the universe? Then you get folks like me who accept the big bang and evolution but self replicating carbon molecules are weird as shit and those molecules deliberately seeking out their continued existence is really fucking weird as shit. Those molecules have a purpose. Did god do it? Maybe maybe not. I think so but im still not sure what god is. Its a gut feeling and possibly incorrect. But not dumb. At least not how i would define dumb.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Salty

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 12:02:40 AM
Quote from: Alty on October 24, 2013, 11:39:31 PM
I don't agree with OP.

SO WHY DON'T YOU ALL GET FU-

Nah, uh, oh right:

I don't care so much about atheist, or similar shit, one way or another. It's like daily horoscopes, imo. They're...out there...somewhere, and they're a part of The Machine, somehow. But that's about it.

The town I live in is very religious, there's about as many churches as starbucks here, in strip malls and all. I've been to so damned different many. When you live around religious people and experience their community, you can come to miss it. Plus, I think many of the people who cling to religion is to feel superior, perhaps because our social demands are not being met because of the parasitic nature of our government, the effects of which trickle so far down...

If we can not attain status in the physically, we can maybe attain it spiritually.

When you leave, if you leave, there's a gap. Do people who've never experienced religion have that? Isn't that why we're all here arguing? Do you feel a gap when you've been away from the PD for some time (yeah, right).

Atheists have probably found some kind of community on the internet they didn't have before, and nothing binds people together like conflict. And who makes things hard on Atheists?

Of course, everyone make everything hard on everyone. Humans are rough with one another.

But when you're brain is in that place, possibly surrounded by people who constantly preach that YOU and what you THINK is causing all kinds of horrible shit in the world. That their devil is working through you.

Which, of course, is totally hilarious! And, of course, not all Christians are like that. Many are not like that. But there are many, many more who are like that. Vindictive, snide, cruel. To anyone who isn't like them, and also to those just like them.

But primate politics as they are, doesn't it make sense for them to band together about that hostility?

You get people who need some kind of way to identify that, not only are you reasonable, but you feel isolation and anger toward a larger, more powerful enemy. Maybe people miss that from religion as well?

Anyway, people get excited. As long as they're not setting people on fire...

It may be borne of insecurity, but I don't think it's unnatural.

All in all it still seems like make believe to me.

Or, indulging those who engage in make believe.

I think it's funny that The King James Bible has the word unicorn in it, mostly because people just accepted this. Why wouldn't they? And I'll use that sort of shit to talk with an obvious Atheist at a party, because it's funny! But I wouldn't argue with a Christian about it and rub it in their face. That's just petty.

Humans who take in reality with their brains and process it as reasonably as possible, given facts available, don't really need a descriptor, and religious thought neither prevents nor enables the ability to do so. Very, very reasonable people can still be very wrong, as I'm sure we've all seen. I do believe that's a meme-bomb, actually.

Which I've butchered. You've welcome.

Us vs Them, because THEY are BAD and WRONG.

Which is a perfectly acceptable strategy, so long as "us" means horrible bastards of Discordia, and "them" means everyone else.

Yup. And as long as "we" have all the cookies. No cookies for the non-believers!
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Aucoq

"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Aucoq on October 25, 2013, 12:22:29 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AMBelief specifically in neptune might be dumb.

Why?
If he is understood to be some guy swimming around in the mediterranean causing earthquakes them that is a rather strange belief. Just as strange as the idea of jehovah having a literal cease and cloud throne.

East Coast Hustle

See, I think the idea that the universe has to contain purpose is a strange belief. But there's a reason why I never bring this shit up in polite conversation so we'll probably just have to agree to disagree.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 25, 2013, 12:43:30 AM
See, I think the idea that the universe has to contain purpose is a strange belief. But there's a reason why I never bring this shit up in polite conversation so we'll probably just have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough. I accept that you do not think that I am dumb. I think. At least not dumb on account of theism. I was just trying to figure out why the idea itself had to be dumb, but we'll leave it as is.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also "cease" in the context of Jehovah should be read as "beard" just to clarify.

Fucking phone.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The universe contains more than enough purpose to blow my mind without ever involving anything supernatural. We don't stand a chance of understanding even our own tiny corner of the universe, let alone the fantastic order that is the rest of it. Ever. Let alone why or whether there even is a reason. IMO.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 25, 2013, 12:50:28 AM
Also "cease" in the context of Jehovah should be read as "beard" just to clarify.

Fucking phone.

Aw, he was always after people to cease stuff.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 12:51:06 AM

The universe contains more than enough purpose to blow my mind without ever involving anything supernatural. We don't stand a chance of understanding even our own tiny corner of the universe, let alone the fantastic order that is the rest of it. Ever. Let alone why or whether there even is a reason. IMO.

Agreed, though I was using the word "purpose" more in the context of agency.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

I think the whole thing is simply too ridiculous to be the result of chance.

I have precisely zero evidence to back this up, as I have stated before.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Reasonably glad the thread seems to have turned out more or less OK and didn't involve me being beheaded in my absence. If there's anyone who hates me now or who I'm supposed to hate, just let me know by PM and I'll make note.

Alty, you said that turning to tribal rivalry out of a sense of insecurity is natural. YES, it is natural; that's exactly what I'm saying. I also think that everyone here is better than that, and that's a big part of why we're here in the first place.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 25, 2013, 12:53:26 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 12:51:06 AM

Agreed, though I was using the word "purpose" more in the context of agency.

For all I know, we're all part of a much larger organism that has agency. I think Kai has mentioned something along those lines in the past as well, as have many others in other contexts.

Although I doubt such an organism would be any more conscious of its cellular processes than we are of ours.