News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hirley0

now if i just had
something to contribute
but i don't

Quote from: Pæs on October 27, 2013, 01:13:54 AM
Quote from: hirley0 on October 26, 2013, 08:28:46 PM
YES: &noW that i see 4sure it wAS U ,
pre pair thySelves.

< THATS MY BRO, BRO iz Wisker

Suu

My little rant of the day:

It's so funny when Atheists try to make fun of the Bible and do so extremely poorly, because their knowledge of Christianity is so terrible. And they always pick Christianity, and blame it all on that, without even taking the moment to conceive that 27 books in the damn Bible are straight up Jewish doctrine, including the written prophecies of Christ (Mostly in Isaiah.) You say that, and they get all defensive that you're calling them anti-Semitic. It's funny.

They take such pride in being "educated" and yet want nothing to do with learning about the faiths that they are so adamantly against.  :lulz: I wonder what they are afraid of? Actually learning that it's okay to be a decent human being? Because that's all Jesus really wanted on the bottom line: For people to be decent human beings.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

My impression was that this thread's intention was to provoke people into examining their own hidden prejudices, and atheists happened to be the group the OP used to do so.  Or was I wrong and its just atheist bashing?  Because I could have sworn what we supposedly learned here was that bashing whole groups was sorta, I dunno, counter productive?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, this isn't actually an atheist-bashing thread. It's OK to poke fun at inconsistencies and hypocrisies that some Atheists perpetuate, but the main drive of the thread is not "Atheists suck", but rather "Look out, Atheists! People are saying some fucked-up shit in the name of Atheism, and you might want to look at it reealllll close because it might stick to you".

Honestly I would really like to see more examples of other Atheists speaking up against bigotry within the community, if you happen upon them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on November 05, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

It's so funny when Atheists try to make fun of the Bible and do so extremely poorly, because their knowledge of Christianity is so terrible. And they always pick Christianity, and blame it all on that, without even taking the moment to conceive that 27 books in the damn Bible are straight up Jewish doctrine, including the written prophecies of Christ (Mostly in Isaiah.) You say that, and they get all defensive that you're calling them anti-Semitic. It's funny.

They take such pride in being "educated" and yet want nothing to do with learning about the faiths that they are so adamantly against.  :lulz: I wonder what they are afraid of? Actually learning that it's okay to be a decent human being? Because that's all Jesus really wanted on the bottom line: For people to be decent human beings.

WHY, HELLO THERE!

You're missing the point entirely.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 06, 2013, 01:00:56 AM
Yeah, this isn't actually an atheist-bashing thread. It's OK to poke fun at inconsistencies and hypocrisies that some Atheists perpetuate, but the main drive of the thread is not "Atheists suck", but rather "Look out, Atheists! People are saying some fucked-up shit in the name of Atheism, and you might want to look at it reealllll close because it might stick to you".

Honestly I would really like to see more examples of other Atheists speaking up against bigotry within the community, if you happen upon them.

Have you read about the Atheist Turing tests? I'll look for a link in a little while. They happen once a year.

EDIT A WHILE LATER:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyoked/ideological-turing-test-contest
This is a contest inspired by a post by Bryan Caplan in which he came up with the idea of an Ideological Turing Test. The conventional Turing Test is a computing challenge — the goal is to build a computer that can carry on a conversation via text well enough that a panel of judges can't tell the difference between the computer and a group of human ringers.

Caplan challenged partisans to see if they could explain and the positions of their opponents well enough to pass as one of their ideological enemies. He offered his original challenge to Paul Krugman for an economics-off, but I've borrowed the idea and put a religious spin on it. Here, Christians will sham amidst a group on genuine atheists and vice versa. The plausibility of their conterfeits will be determined by open voting.

If you want to see if you are capable of telling the difference between an Atheist (or Christian) and somebody who is just pretending to be an Atheist (or a Christian), you can play that game here:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyoked/2013/09/turing-2013-christian-round-entries-index.html
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyoked/2013/09/turing-2013-atheist-round-entries-index.html

Lord Cataplanga

What I really like about that ideological Turing Test is that it's very effective in making you actually think like the other "side". I think that is much more useful and effective than laughing at Christians for being stupid and mean, or laughing at Atheists for being stupid and mean.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on November 06, 2013, 01:57:47 AM
What I really like about that ideological Turing Test is that it's very effective in making you actually think like the other "side". I think that is much more useful and effective than laughing at Christians for being stupid and mean, or laughing at Atheists for being stupid and mean.

Hmmm, it does look very interesting! Thanks for the links.

Suu

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 06, 2013, 01:03:40 AM

WHY, HELLO THERE!

WHAT ELSE IS FUCKING NEW.

Later.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on November 06, 2013, 02:10:47 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 06, 2013, 01:03:40 AM

WHY, HELLO THERE!

WHAT ELSE IS FUCKING NEW.

Later.

You seem...Upset.
\
:lord:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger