News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Dating For Dinner

Started by hooplala, October 25, 2013, 03:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, she's putting it out there as a blog.

So, it's still a dick move, but it's actually WORSE in one sort of way, because she's doing that.

She is handing all manner of gasoline and matches to the MRA/PUA community.

"See?  We told you you're a sucker."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Yeah, she is ruining the fine honoured tradition of the con. It's just tacky to insult and belittle the marks. A classy con everyone walks away feeling happy from.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I keep looking for a sign of intelligence, some evidence of taking the piss, but I'm not seeing any. I could be wrong though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 03:54:15 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 25, 2013, 03:46:34 PM
So there's this young lady in Toronto who is dating guys just to eat in nice places, and writes a blog about it: hxxp://restauranttipsfromaserialdater.tumblr.com

I'm torn between being disgusted by her cruel manipulation of strangers, and being bowled over by such an obvious, yet genius, idea. 

Surely she can't be the only person doing this, but how many advertise it?  Her face is ALL over that blog, so she's not exactly hiding... and in one of the posts she admits to getting busted by a guy who knew she was talking about him online.  People in town are foaming at the mouth...

Thoughts?

It's definitely not novel (I can't recall who now, but I read a bio of a girl in NYC in the 60's who said that she was so broke that sometimes the only time she ate was when men took her out to dinner so it because sort of a survival strategy for her and other girls she knew), but in this era it seems kind of a dick move.

Michelle Phillips mentions doing that in her autobiography. Not necessarily expensive restaurants, but restaurants. The alternative was brown rice, I think.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Faust on October 25, 2013, 04:28:52 PM
Yeah, she is ruining the fine honoured tradition of the con. It's just tacky to insult and belittle the marks. A classy con everyone walks away feeling happy from.

Yeah, it's the blog - and being such a mercenary fuckwad about it - I take issue with, not cadging dinners. Traditionally, guys are supposed to pay for dinner on a date anyway.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 04:26:05 PM
Well, she's putting it out there as a blog.

So, it's still a dick move, but it's actually WORSE in one sort of way, because she's doing that.

She is handing all manner of gasoline and matches to the MRA/PUA community.

"See?  We told you you're a sucker."

Christ, I hadn't even thought of THAT.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman