News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

have you ever invented a word?

Started by rong, October 28, 2013, 11:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

I agree, knowsome is a little forced.  Apatastic sounds much better, but personally, I add 'tastic to so many things it doesn't seem like a real new word.  I'll keep thinking about it.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

LMNO

Aren't these more just portmanteaus, rather than wholly new words?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 29, 2013, 03:50:24 PM

Not all of them.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 29, 2013, 03:50:24 PM

From my time spent with the etymological dictionary, so are a whole fuckton of other words, so, so?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

So, I've got my "elitist intellectual fucktard" hat on, and I wanted to kindoub a word I learned for my SATs, so all you barrilyons can see how frellgious I am.

The Good Reverend Roger

Discordia has turned into an Anne McCaffrey novel.

KILL ME. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Whoops. Looks like I broke the thread.

Sorry about that.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

I coined the word 'pomal'... It's sort of like the ineffable.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am not fond of forced invented words. Too many of that kind of thing in a novel makes me grit my teeth. However, new words are part of the evolution of language.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."