News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Peeve of the day

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 30, 2013, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When people talk about "Americans" but what they really mean is "White people".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 30, 2013, 12:16:31 PM

Kind of like when people say "Christian" but mean "people who aren't assholes"?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 30, 2013, 12:19:33 PM

Kind of like when people say "Christian" but mean "people who aren't assholes"?

Sort of, but more the other way around.

It's just the general assumption that "American" means "white person". Just another tiny little unconscious exclusion of everyone who isn't white from being full participants in American society; a reminder, if you will, that we aren't Real Americans™.

It grinds on you, after a while.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Just using Americans for the US instead of the continent is enough to bother most people people I know. Couple that with your peeve and White citizens of the USA are suddenly representatives of a huge population and landmass that they are a small part of.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Or even "some white people".  I would hope that what most people think of when they say "americans" is, in fact, a very small minority of the population.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Quote from: Faust on October 30, 2013, 12:31:28 PM
Just using Americans for the US instead of the continent is enough to bother most people people I know. Couple that with your peeve and White citizens of the USA are suddenly representatives of a huge population and landmass that they are a small part of.

I've put some thought into this:

We are United States of Americans. There are Canadians to the North, and Mexicans to the South. I know we all live in North America, but think of something else to call us that doesn't sound dumb. Seriously.

Staters? Stateys? United Statsians? USers?

See?

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Bingo.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on October 30, 2013, 12:33:40 PM

Or even "some white people".  I would hope that what most people think of when they say "americans" is, in fact, a very small minority of the population.

I would hope for the exact opposite, but likely what you say reflects reality.

Faust

Quote from: Suu on October 30, 2013, 12:50:46 PM

We are United States of Americans. There are Canadians to the North, and Mexicans to the South. I know we all live in North America, but think of something else to call us that doesn't sound dumb. Seriously.

See?

Yeah choose a better name for the United States of X, The current one is taken and comes off as confusing.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on October 30, 2013, 12:50:46 PM

See?

We're the only country with "America" in the name, so it makes sense to shorthand us as "Americans". It just gets a little confusing when you consider that everyone else on both American continents are also Americans.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Purpleris and I had an interesting discussion about this yesterday. We're going to a Halloween party and she mentioned it was a Christian holiday. I pointed out that it wasn't Christian and many Christians actually are against it. It's a Western European/American holiday... but from the perspective of Turks, "Western" and "Christian" and "American" seem synonymous, particularly when it comes to cultural things like Halloween. The same from my perspective when I was there. One of their bayram (holidays) is the Candy Bayram which I assumed was Muslim, but its cultural. The same for New Years, where Turks celebrate with Turkey Dinners, a dude that looks like Santa, holiday lights, holiday trees, etc. Yet, its not Mulsim at all, its just Turkish... and some muslims hate it, because they see it as appropriation of Christian symbols.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 30, 2013, 01:09:43 PM
Purpleris and I had an interesting discussion about this yesterday. We're going to a Halloween party and she mentioned it was a Christian holiday. I pointed out that it wasn't Christian and many Christians actually are against it. It's a Western European/American holiday... but from the perspective of Turks, "Western" and "Christian" and "American" seem synonymous, particularly when it comes to cultural things like Halloween. The same from my perspective when I was there. One of their bayram (holidays) is the Candy Bayram which I assumed was Muslim, but its cultural. The same for New Years, where Turks celebrate with Turkey Dinners, a dude that looks like Santa, holiday lights, holiday trees, etc. Yet, its not Mulsim at all, its just Turkish... and some muslims hate it, because they see it as appropriation of Christian symbols.

That's hilarious, given that many American Christians think Halloween is Satanic, and the Christmas tree and Santa business is Pagan.  :lol:

Q. G. Pennyworth

I wish I had something to add, but everyone ITT is right about everything.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 30, 2013, 01:12:33 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 30, 2013, 01:09:43 PM

That's hilarious, given that many American Christians think Halloween is Satanic, and the Christmas tree and Santa business is Pagan.  :lol:

Yep, its a great example of very confused cultural interactions.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

So, one could have a ceremony that was in every identical to another culture's, and have the same intent behind the ceremony, and it's not cultural appropriation if the simply call it something else?

"No, it's not a sweat lodge, it's a Swermaflerma."