News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Damn You All

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 31, 2013, 03:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 31, 2013, 04:48:41 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 04:46:35 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 31, 2013, 04:43:15 PM
If we can't examine our faults, what are we?

DING. 

To me, that is the secondary goal of Discordianism, which is an offshoot of the primary goal:  To see the world the way it REALLY is, not the way I'd LIKE it to be, or even the way I'm AFRAID it is.

Yes!  Yes you're right, that is the primary goal.

I also agree some of the funny on PD seems to be missing, from even 4 or 5 years ago, but then I could say the same about the world in general.

Part of it is that we've gotten stale.  The other part is that we now have the attention spans of brain-damaged cats.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Da6s on October 31, 2013, 04:53:14 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 03:46:41 PM
...blowing your eggs/sperm out the wrong orifice in rage...

This mental image is amazing  :lulz:

I'm not well.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

It's been smelling a lot like "rotting treehouse" in here lately. Some of that may be that I've been in more than a few rotting treehouses in my day and I might be reading too much into things, but the symptoms are pretty obvious. Less stuff is being made. More people are getting butthurt and leaving and fewer of them are coming back. Nothing's as funny as it used to be. And any time you bring it up, people respond with either IT'S NOT MY FAULT I *BLAHBLAHBLAH* LIFE STUFF or FU NO IT'S NOT, LOOK AT THIS THING I JUST DID THAT'S NOT NEARLY AS GOOD AS THE OLD STUFF BUT PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT. I've done both of those things here.

Treehouses rot, it's a thing they do. It's never gonna be 2008 again.

All that said, I like you spags even when you piss me off and I don't want to miss out on whatever happens here. Even if it's not as good as the days I missed, it's still good to be challenged and appreciated.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:mittens: to the OP.

So my question is, what do we do with this rotting, blanket-covered treehouse? Do we abandon it for another treehouse? Or do those of us who have not flounced in a steaming heap of butthurt make an effort to alter our approach? Do we stop dogpiling pinealists and  second-rate trolls?

The thing that attracted me to PD in the first place was that it was not a NICE board, but that it was a REAL board. I appreciate that. Is that still what the board is? I don't know... I feel like it might have crossed over too much into a mutual-appreciation society, and when somebody doesn't get enough attention or reinforcement they feel like the board has let them down.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 31, 2013, 05:24:29 PM
Less stuff is being made.

Not sure about that.  Less stuff is being LOOKED at.

Which has the same effect.

Nephew Twiddleton

Id prefer not to abandon the treehouse. I get attached to things and this place has been a big part of my life these last fourish years. I made some really good friends here. By the same token revitalizing is difficult to do and this place certainly isnt as populated as it was in '10.
I think some people moved on others had nothing to say anymore and others just didnt get along with some of us or there was some sort of blow out.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 31, 2013, 05:34:39 PM
:mittens: to the OP.

So my question is, what do we do with this rotting, blanket-covered treehouse? Do we abandon it for another treehouse? Or do those of us who have not flounced in a steaming heap of butthurt make an effort to alter our approach? Do we stop dogpiling pinealists and  second-rate trolls?

The thing that attracted me to PD in the first place was that it was not a NICE board, but that it was a REAL board. I appreciate that. Is that still what the board is? I don't know... I feel like it might have crossed over too much into a mutual-appreciation society, and when somebody doesn't get enough attention or reinforcement they feel like the board has let them down.

Yep. GUILTY AS CHARGED.

As I said in the other thread, I'm over it.  I'm going to keep writing, for my own sake.  I am no longer falling into the "audience" trap.

And as for the haters, unless their hate meets my standards (none of them presently do), I'm just writing them off.  We already had Khara and Charley, know what I mean?  I don't see the need to bother with someone whose FIRST resort is to screech and hate and stomp off.

It's a self-correcting problem if you don't let it get all over you.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 31, 2013, 05:53:01 PM
Id prefer not to abandon the treehouse. I get attached to things and this place has been a big part of my life these last fourish years. I made some really good friends here. By the same token revitalizing is difficult to do and this place certainly isnt as populated as it was in '10.
I think some people moved on others had nothing to say anymore and others just didnt get along with some of us or there was some sort of blow out.

We have been complacent.

VERY, VERY complacent.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 05:48:43 PM

I haven't had a single rant get past about 2 sentences before fizzling out and dying in what feels like forever. It sucks and I hate it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 31, 2013, 05:58:31 PM

I haven't had a single rant get past about 2 sentences before fizzling out and dying in what feels like forever. It sucks and I hate it.

Then stop ranting and do something ELSE.

Traditions were invented to be shat on, lit on fire, and thrown over the stairwell.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Point.

I was looking around scribd and found some of the old postergasm stuff. I might riff off the Calvin Ball one.

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 06:00:42 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 31, 2013, 05:58:31 PM

Then stop ranting and do something ELSE.

Traditions were invented to be shat on, lit on fire, and thrown over the stairwell.

The problem being that forums are optimized for sharing writing. 

Payne

When I first joined PD all y'all were still in the post-BIP glow. I approached every single poster here with a sense of inferiority and awe because that collection of writings changed my life. It was exactly what I needed to read at that specific point in my life.

For the most part, I am still humbled by you - collectively and individually. Even posters I don't like, I have some strange kind of respect for.

My own interaction with Discordia and this, the premier Discordian forum on the whole damn interwubs, has been an awkward and clunky affair all the way through. I've never had a blow out with an established member of this community. I've done my fair share of shitting on the woefully and purposely ignorant. I have WOMPed things that no mortal man should ever WOMP. But I've never blown anyone away with something I have done or said. I have never Saved The DayTM. And Curly will never be seen again, no matter how many maps of the Lost Highway I draw.

Anyway. I'm rambling. I guess I just want to say I love you?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on October 31, 2013, 07:59:53 PM
But I've never blown anyone away with something I have done or said.

Factually incorrect.  Curly on the wrong side of the police line was GENIUS.

Reginald Ret

When I first joined PD all y'all were still in the post-BIP glow. I approached every single poster here with a sense of inferiority and awe because that collection of writings changed my life. It was exactly what I needed to read at that specific point in my life.

For the most part, I am still humbled by you - collectively and individually. Even posters I don't like, I have some strange kind of respect for.

My own interaction with Discordia and this, the premier Discordian forum on the whole damn interwubs, has been an awkward and clunky affair all the way through. I've never had a blow out with an established member of this community. I've done my fair share of shitting on the woefully and purposely ignorant. I have WOMPed things that no mortal man should ever WOMP. But I've never blown anyone away with something I have done or said. I have never Saved The DayTM. And Curly will never be seen again, no matter how many maps of the Lost Highway I draw.

Anyway. I'm rambling. I guess I just want to say I love you?
Love you too.
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 08:15:50 PM
But I've never blown anyone away with something I have done or said.

Factually incorrect.  Curly on the wrong side of the police line was GENIUS.
I do believe i missed that, linky?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"