News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Are You Free?

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, November 11, 2013, 07:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I hadn't heard of Emmeline Pankhurst until I found this picture. Not sure about the ethics of everything she did, but dayum that bitch was free.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 11, 2013, 08:46:07 PM
I hadn't heard of Emmeline Pankhurst until I found this picture. Not sure about the ethics of everything she did, but dayum that bitch was free.

Not so sure about the arson bit.

But a bit of window smashing and cop-thumping seemed to be reasonable.  Anyone who goes their whole life without smashing a window has missed something.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

Love it. More of this kind of thing.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Q. G. Pennyworth

Say what you will about Occupy, Oakland managed to stay a pain in everyone's asses the entire time.

Junkenstein

Really liking this. Will say better words when thinking smarter.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 11, 2013, 10:13:18 PM
Say what you will about Occupy, Oakland managed to stay a pain in everyone's asses the entire time.

That can be a measure of success.  You might not BEAT them, but you MIGHT be able to make them take ulcer medication.

The Good Reverend Roger

I have an idea for this, but it will have to wait a couple of hours.  AFTER HOURS MEETING TEIM.

(This man is NOT free)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Fuck it, taking a stab. QG, forgive what follows. Possibly. Let's see.

The aspects of freedom that are highlighted here are pretty stark examples. The two that hit quite hard for me were Swartz and the Pussy Riot Member. Both stunning modern examples of FUCK YOU freedom. She knew what was going to happen fucking with Putin. Everyone's knows what happens when you fuck with Putin. It's never good, just a scale of bad. It takes balls to do that knowing the consequences. A large part of freedom is taking disproportionate and unreasonable consequences for your momentary act. If the punishment wasn't so bad, everyone might just start doing it you see.

Swartz is kind of the other end of this axis. Intellectually, he probably knew how much he could likely stand to lose. Could anyone say that the punishment that he was facing was anything other than draconian? Facing a ruined life, he chose suicide. While regrettable to say the least, it is in many ways one of the ultimate demonstrations of freedom. From Socrates to Swatz, the persecuted have chosen suicide rather than face meaningless suffering.

Is this the only light to consider freedom in, the freedom to get punished and suffer consequences or lack of? Well, it's kind of worthless to consider the opposite. Freedoms to be happy and live and smiles and sunshine are pretty meaningless when you're still working out how not to fuck people with dissenting opinions.

Another angle I'm thinking here is sort of levels of consensual freedom. Apparently society currently condones our laws and has defined how each citizen is free, within certain guidelines, boundaries, restrictions, forms, laws, by-laws, etc.. There's always a creep to push back what is acceptable and currently it seems that a majority will agree to these added impositions because TERRUH. Police forces are getting more militarized daily because of Drug gangs. When all your neighbours agree that the police can search their houses without a warrant, are you going to send them away? Really? This decision WILL directly affect how free you are likely to be in the in immediate and near future. In some situations, you're as free as the monkey next door decided you are.

Q. G. Pennyworth

You must have said something right because my screen's all blurry.

Q. G. Pennyworth

You got sold a false bill of goods.

It's not your fault, it happens to the best of us. The most important thing is to just nut up and admit that you've been suckered, so you can try and make things right.

Someone told you Freedom isn't Free.

Maybe they're not the asshole, maybe it was your friend, your mom, your teacher, it doesn't matter. Somewhere along the line the bad signal crept in and it wended its way through society until it ended up at your doorstep, and it looked like Patriotism and Self-Reliance and so you let it in, and now it's running around wrecking shit, and you don't even remember what Freedom looks like. Let me remind you.

• Freedom isn't Security. Freedom will not stop bullets or tazers or thugs in literal or figurative jackboots. Freedom will not prevent you from getting cancer or blown up or picked on.

• Freedom isn't granted. Nobody can ever make you Free, the most anyone can ever do is to remind you what Freedom looks like.

• Freedom lives in your heart and in your heart alone. People who are Free can be locked up and tortured and abused, but that doesn't take away their Freedom. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had more Freedom in the jailhouse in Birmingham than most people get in their whole lifetimes.

• Freedom is messy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 11, 2013, 11:29:38 PM
You got sold a false bill of goods.

It's not your fault, it happens to the best of us. The most important thing is to just nut up and admit that you've been suckered, so you can try and make things right.

Someone told you Freedom isn't Free.

Maybe they're not the asshole, maybe it was your friend, your mom, your teacher, it doesn't matter. Somewhere along the line the bad signal crept in and it wended its way through society until it ended up at your doorstep, and it looked like Patriotism and Self-Reliance and so you let it in, and now it's running around wrecking shit, and you don't even remember what Freedom looks like. Let me remind you.

• Freedom isn't Security. Freedom will not stop bullets or tazers or thugs in literal or figurative jackboots. Freedom will not prevent you from getting cancer or blown up or picked on.

• Freedom isn't granted. Nobody can ever make you Free, the most anyone can ever do is to remind you what Freedom looks like.

• Freedom lives in your heart and in your heart alone. People who are Free can be locked up and tortured and abused, but that doesn't take away their Freedom. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had more Freedom in the jailhouse in Birmingham than most people get in their whole lifetimes.

• Freedom is messy.

Freedom is as simple as "NOPE".