News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Health Fair Thing at Work.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 12, 2013, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

HE'S OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO KILL YOU.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 12, 2013, 06:31:06 PM
He says I'll RUIN EVERYTHING.

Hey, he's not a stupid man, after all.   :lulz:

I guess he DOES know you. :P
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Salty

Did you know health insurance companies pay for acupuncture?

:argh!: :lulz:  :argh!:

The only thing I've seen that can't be explained by placebo effect is that it lowers high blood pressure. And even that probably has more to do with placebo or human contact than magic.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Alty on November 12, 2013, 07:00:51 PM

The only thing I've seen that can't be explained by placebo effect is that it lowers high blood pressure. And even that probably has more to do with placebo or human contact than magic.

Offhand, I'd guess the setting and atmosphere probably helps with that too. Not like many acupuncturists are playing black metal and such. More wind chimes. Something something ritualistic? Hence relaxing?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Fuckers fight tooth and nail to avoid paying for real treatment, but they'll pay for mumbo jumbo.

That says something.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 12, 2013, 04:26:16 PM
While I'm skeptical, I actually place the Truth Value of acupuncture over 50%.   That is, I have found slightly more evidence supporting some sort of beneficial effect from acupuncture than against.  At least enough to throw the issue into doubt.

Although the chakra thing is grounds for immediate disqualification.

This.

If I was going to try acupuncture, I wouldn't go to some gasbag babbling about chakras at health fairs.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 12, 2013, 07:34:40 PM

Fuckers fight tooth and nail to avoid paying for real treatment, but they'll pay for mumbo jumbo.

That says something.

Well yeah, which one do you reckon costs more? I can see a health insurance firm emerging that only entitles you to "alternative" treatments. If I was running a health insurance firm, I'd have my phone monkeys talking about the benefits of homoeopathy all day long. Every bit of time wasted on that reduces my likely overall bill. The interim death toll from people talking the Steve Jobs approach to treatment (He'd be another fucker the phones wouldn't stop talking about. So wise. Such a visionary. Was getting better you know...) would mean massive fucking profits for me. Actual treatment? No, you're not covered for that. And you breached you policy by not telling us about that broken ankle at 3 years old so we're suing you.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

He really DOES need to let you go. Your meridians are all up in your chakras and your aura could have COOTIES, for all you know. I mean, you never do any CLEANSING RITUALS or anything, you could have ASSTRAIL GUINEA WORMS or some shit.

I vote you follow him around with some kind of Boss Fix crystal until he relents.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

I got acupuncture once because I was doing a report on it for school so I videotaped my session and made it part of my report.

I absolutely cannot speak to the scientific validity of it. I can say that it felt great, relaxed me immensely, and provided a great deal of relief from a football-related shoulder injury I was dealing with at the time. I was smart, though. I went to some wizened old chinese guy who barely spoke english instead of some new-age dipshit white guy from the burbs who had too much free time and bad dope in college. And it wasn't just needles either. He put some shit on me and lit it on fire and let it burn me. It was great. 10/10, would do again if my health plan covered it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Junkenstein

BRB settling up insurance company

Eater of Clowns

I don't think the fair is going quite far enough.

Where's the paleo dietician? The crystal yogi? Where's the guy who uses slight of hand and a piece of bloody meat to pull tumors out of people's bodies? Someone has to be on hand to educate the public about water memory and the healing power of twice distilled glacial spring reverse osmosis mineral water with electrolytes.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Salty

There is an idea, put forth by some people looking through cadavers, that acupuncture meridian lines may correspond with fascia lines. That would make a lot of sense considering the nature of fascia and my own thoughts on how that tissue stores endocrine fluids that have to do with the emotional aspect of bodywork

I would say, finding someone fully trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine or the wizened old Chinese dude route for sure.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Golden Applesauce

I put acupuncture in the same category as "extreme massage." If hot rocks and rubbing relieves stress, why not needles? There seems to be something to the ritual + physical stimulus package that works on humans. I've had hypnosis explained to me as being in large part based on giving the conscious mind something to occupy itself with so the unconscious part can be brought forward and be more directly suggested - needles seem like they'd be pretty good as a thing to focus on while you suggest to the rest of the mind that healing is occurring. I think the use of stimulus/ritual in S&M and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subspace_(BDSM) works on similar principles.

ETA: a lot of (all?) Eastern massage/bodywork traditions explain themselves in terms of chi & chakra flows. I don't think that makes them any less effective. If anything, I'd expect that the more explicit inclusion of meditation would make them more effective at relaxation and stress reduction.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 12, 2013, 07:52:27 PM
He really DOES need to let you go. Your meridians are all up in your chakras and your aura could have COOTIES, for all you know. I mean, you never do any CLEANSING RITUALS or anything, you could have ASSTRAIL GUINEA WORMS or some shit.

I vote you follow him around with some kind of Boss Fix crystal until he relents.

Just went.

One of the clowns said "homeopathy" and I lost it.  Our company doctor was there (from Houston), and he and I stood off to one side pantomiming voodoo at people until my boss yelled at us.

There was absolutely nothing of value.  I may as well have gone to a fucking psychic fair.