News:

My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

Philosophy Lectures with Rick Roderick

Started by Cramulus, November 12, 2013, 06:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

http://rickroderick.org/

Rick Roderick was a philosophy professor and journal editor at the University of Texas until 2002, when he died of a heart condition.

Roderick produced a series of VHS tapes of his lectures. They mostly focus on the existential philosophers and what he called "The Self Under Siege". After he passed, people scanned the lectures into youtube and freed them onto the net.

I've found his lectures very insightful, well organized, and easy to follow. He steps through some really complex topics with relative ease. I just wanted to share him with you cats, perhaps some people here will dig his work as much as I have.

His website breaks the lectures up into little 10 minute chunks (with transcripts) which are more appropriate to the short attention spans we develop on the net. But if you look him up on youtube, you can find the full length videos.

I'll leave you with Rick Roderick's lecture on Baudrillard's "Fatal Strategies", which happens to be his final lecture in the Self Under Siege series. I think it's his best one.

Junkenstein

Thanks Cram, been looking for another lecturer to break up a Sapolsky stint. Seems like just the thing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.