News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Mommy Shaming

Started by Dildo Argentino, November 13, 2013, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

You know, I just can't see myself ever sticking up for QG again.

DOUR,
Judgey Concern Troll
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 01:08:27 AM
Let's put it this way.

When I hear about people having more than 3 children, I feel like I shouldn't reproduce at all because they already had kids for me and it would be irresponsible of ME to have any myself.

You know, tragedy of the commons and all that shit.

"If you think having 6 kids is okay, I want you to imagine telling brown children in foreign lands where all the food went."

And remember, Twid, that's MOMMY SHAMING.  Because dads have nothing to do with the reproduction of children.  Ever.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, clearly the fact that my oldest daughter has a classically choleric personality type and is aggressively angry about social injustice is an indication that she suffered abuse due to my failure as a mother, right? That of course is totally different from him knocking up a couple women and spawning more kids than he can adequately take care of.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That said, I don't give a fuck about people in developed countries having big families, because the population issue is complicated. Poverty and lack of education and birth control opportunities for women in poor and patriarchal countries are far more of a problem than some lower-middle-class jackass in Hungary having a fuckton of kids.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 01:25:06 AM
Let's put it this way.

When I hear about people having more than 3 children, I feel like I shouldn't reproduce at all because they already had kids for me and it would be irresponsible of ME to have any myself.

"If you think having 6 kids is okay, I want you to imagine telling brown children in foreign lands where all the food went."

And remember, Twid, that's MOMMY SHAMING.  Because dads have nothing to do with the reproduction of children.  Ever.

I'm not going to hold it against her because I can see her point. My point is different, and it's the same point you're making. It makes perfect sense to have as many children as possible if you expect a good chunk of them will die. But in an industrialized nation, it actually is depriving others. Because adding one American is like adding several people elsewhere. And you know, it's not like that one person isn't eventually going to have a bit of a carbon footprint larger than they would elsewhere in the world, heating the planet up even further and making FOOD and WATER even more scarce, thus indirectly fucking over the third world even more.

Being an American with 10 children is like being a Cthulhu worshipper. You get eaten last.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 19, 2013, 01:29:32 AM
I mean, clearly the fact that my oldest daughter has a classically choleric personality type and is aggressively angry about social injustice is an indication that she suffered abuse due to my failure as a mother, right? That of course is totally different from him knocking up a couple women and spawning more kids than he can adequately take care of.

But wait!  The man isn't responsible for how many kids are born!  That's a mommy shaming thing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 01:32:25 AM
Let's put it this way.

I'm not going to hold it against her because I can see her point. My point is different, and it's the same point you're making. It makes perfect sense to have as many children as possible if you expect a good chunk of them will die don't have any other options because you live in a region where you can't get birth control and are considered a possession whose only value is reproduction.

Being an American with 10 children is like being a Cthulhu worshipper. You get eaten last.

Just want to AGAIN point out that overpopulation has nothing to do with people in developed countries having large families. It has to do with poverty and lack of opportunities and birth control in developing countries.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm still having fun with GA's logic.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 01:14:10 AM
Let's just try GA's "logic" out on some other social issues, shall we?

"If you don't agree with Israel's policies, I want to imagine you taking a shit on a mass grave at Auschwitz."

"If you don't hate all cops, I want you to imagine telling Rodney King to walk it off."

"If you don't agree with WalMart's HR policies, I want you to imagine slipping Stalin a bit of tongue."

I mean, he has probably been sitting on that facebook/email forward for MONTHS waiting for his chance.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 19, 2013, 01:35:26 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 01:32:25 AM
Let's put it this way.

I'm not going to hold it against her because I can see her point. My point is different, and it's the same point you're making. It makes perfect sense to have as many children as possible if you expect a good chunk of them will die don't have any other options because you live in a region where you can't get birth control and are considered a possession whose only value is reproduction.

Just want to AGAIN point out that overpopulation has nothing to do with people in developed countries having large families. It has to do with poverty and lack of opportunities and birth control in developing countries.

Not disagreeing with that either. I was going to make a point about availability of birth control and women's education too, but you already did an able job of it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Anyway, the point I was making was that within Holist's conditions, having that amount of children is in fact a bit shocking on a few different levels, and I don't feel like I am shaming him or the missus by pointing it out. I really want to know what the rationale behind it was, because they clearly have access to birth control in the UK, don't really need to have more than 2 or 3 children from a survival angle, and unless Holist has pound sterling shooting out of his asshole, those children actually compete for resources rather than benefit by it. I mean, I could be wrong. Holist might well be a rich motherfucker who can support a large number of children and spread relative, Western, economic comfort equally among them.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 12:54:52 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 12:31:44 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 12:28:54 AM
On one hand, I feel like I ought to say something about criticizing someone on how many children they have is a form of mommy shaming / slut shaming in itself.

On the other hand, I don't like Holist very much.

Sometimes you just have to dive in the gutter and wallow.

Oh, definitely. I don't think I'm in the mood tonight, though. I *might* be able to push some new content out over in TFY;S if I try, but don't hold your breath.

Is this thing on? Good, now
LISTEN UP SCHMUCKS:
The next time you feel the need to tell someone off for having so many kids,
I want you to imagine walking up to their youngest daughter,
four years old, and telling her:

Your mommy and daddy are bad parents because they chose to have you.
I feel like this attack is aimed at me since i am one of those horrible people who thinks that the worldpopulation has at least 1 digit too much.
Therefore, my response:
I never feel the need to tell someone off for having many kids. I do feel the need to get them to think about overpopulation and about the balance between life-quality and life-quantity.
There is a clear line between asking someone not to have a 7th child (which I am not doing. But alright, I will play that role for the sake of argument) and being mean to the 6th child. And just in case you don't understand the difference: The 6th child is real and innocent so should not be hurt while the 7th child cannot be hurt yet because it doesn't exist yet. Stop defending imaginary children, that is unhealthy and silly. (annoying isn't it, when somebody paints an inaccurate picture of your position. That is called a strawman iirc)
Furthermore, why would anyone talk to a child about the parent's parenting skills? I cannot see a possible reason for that. Even when your intent is to hurt the child that is not a very good technique. Not even psychotics would do that.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

It comes down to this:  What kind of world do you want?

One with 10 billion people in it?

One with 2 or 3 billion people in it?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: :regret: on November 19, 2013, 02:29:11 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 12:54:52 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 12:31:44 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 12:28:54 AM
On one hand, I feel like I ought to say something about criticizing someone on how many children they have is a form of mommy shaming / slut shaming in itself.

On the other hand, I don't like Holist very much.

Sometimes you just have to dive in the gutter and wallow.

Oh, definitely. I don't think I'm in the mood tonight, though. I *might* be able to push some new content out over in TFY;S if I try, but don't hold your breath.

Is this thing on? Good, now
LISTEN UP SCHMUCKS:
The next time you feel the need to tell someone off for having so many kids,
I want you to imagine walking up to their youngest daughter,
four years old, and telling her:

Your mommy and daddy are bad parents because they chose to have you.
I feel like this attack is aimed at me since i am one of those horrible people who thinks that the worldpopulation has at least 1 digit too much.
Therefore, my response:
I never feel the need to tell someone off for having many kids. I do feel the need to get them to think about overpopulation and about the balance between life-quality and life-quantity.
There is a clear line between asking someone not to have a 7th child (which I am not doing. But alright, I will play that role for the sake of argument) and being mean to the 6th child. And just in case you don't understand the difference: The 6th child is real and innocent so should not be hurt while the 7th child cannot be hurt yet because it doesn't exist yet. Stop defending imaginary children, that is unhealthy and silly. (annoying isn't it, when somebody paints an inaccurate picture of your position. That is called a strawman iirc)
Furthermore, why would anyone talk to a child about the parent's parenting skills? I cannot see a possible reason for that. Even when your intent is to hurt the child that is not a very good technique. Not even psychotics would do that.

All of this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: :regret: on November 19, 2013, 02:29:11 AM

Hey, he's been waiting WEEKS to spring that line, most likely.

The Good Reverend Roger

And why point out that birth control issues, equal rights issues, and poverty are actually things, when you can toss people under the bus by half-assedly saying it's "mommy shaming".

Because we all know that women will use a vacuum cleaner on men if that's what it takes to get the sperm out.  Men have no interest in reproduction or the sometimes-irresponsible methods by which it is achieved.  It is apparently the woman's fault.

Or so I am told.