News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Mommy Shaming

Started by Dildo Argentino, November 13, 2013, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 04:09:42 AM
Except the part where race has nothing to do with overpopulation and resource consumption. And I've never said that human beings are wastes of space. If I felt that way I would be in favor of warfare. I am a pacifist. A rather adamant one at that.

Point of order:  Every war has resulted in a net population GAIN.  No shit.  People fuck faster than you can shoot them.  (Sarcasm aside, the boom after the war invariable makes up and exceeds the casualties of the war, in every case).

The only event that significantly reduced the human population was the black plague.  And THAT didn't last long, either.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 04:13:44 AM
Except the part where race has nothing to do with overpopulation and resource consumption. And I've never said that human beings are wastes of space. If I felt that way I would be in favor of warfare. I am a pacifist. A rather adamant one at that.

Point of order:  Every war has resulted in a net population GAIN.  No shit.  People fuck faster than you can shoot them.  (Sarcasm aside, the boom after the war invariable makes up and exceeds the casualties of the war, in every case).

The only event that significantly reduced the human population was the black plague.  And THAT didn't last long, either.

Naturally.

Show a man almost certain death, let him live through it, and then get him a wife and see what happens.

And truth be told, the Black Death was the only major economic leveler in Western History.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 04:17:24 AM

Naturally.

Show a man almost certain death, let him live through it, and then get him a wife and see what happens.

And truth be told, the Black Death was the only major economic leveler in Western History.

Sure.  It was the end of feudalism.  Created a labor shortage.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 04:18:21 AM

Naturally.

Most certainly. It also decimated established aristocracy, since none were exempt. It would have been the equivalent if the board of directors suddenly had a bunch of open positions, and all may apply.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 04:22:05 AM

Naturally.

Most certainly. It also decimated established aristocracy, since none were exempt. It would have been the equivalent if the board of directors suddenly had a bunch of open positions, and all may apply.

There was even one lonely Irish monk, the only survivor in his monastery, who was convinced that the world had in fact ended, and he was the only human left alive.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 04:22:05 AM

Naturally.

Yeah, well, that wouldn't help your average serf much, politically-wise (unless he went into the church).  What it DID do was sever the serf from the land, so that he could almost name his price for his labor.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 04:23:28 AM

There was even one lonely Irish monk, the only survivor in his monastery, who was convinced that the world had in fact ended, and he was the only human left alive.

Something similar happened in Germany, IIRC.

Golden Applesauce

Here, this is a better example:

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2013, 01:14:45 AM
It is another form of mommy shaming. You don't know what led to them having a bigger family, and being a judgey concern troll about it isn't something to be proud of.

Birthrates in the US are well below replacement levels, even with some people having "more than their share."

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 01:22:32 AM
You know, I just can't see myself ever sticking up for QG again.

DOUR,
Judgey Concern Troll

If you approached this with the right wrong maximally uncharitable frame of mind, and for whatever reason are compelled to throw in allegations of sexism you have prior evidence to believe are untrue, you might read that response as:

Attention weak and vulnerable female:

You appear to not be in total solidarity with tribal doctrine, as exemplified by the opinions currently held by Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around. You will cease this at once, and return to only speaking supportively of the Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around. Otherwise, when, not if, weak and vulnerable female next runs into trouble, Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around might not extend his aegis of iron-haired protection to her. Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around is stating this out loud as a warning to any other weak and vulnerable females who might be thinking of stepping.

Ook, ook ook.

You'd have to go through some mental gymnastics and willfully forget a lot of things to arrive at that interpretation, but you could do it if you were sufficiently motivated. I don't know why anybody would, though.

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Pæs on November 19, 2013, 03:51:27 AM
I didn't read GA's post as a "here's a chance to get a kick in" it read more to me like "this 'why do you have so many children' trope is a hot button of mine and I'm hesitant to bring it up because fuck holist" followed by "okay, actually, I can't not mention this, here are my feels."

Weird, that's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it. It's like you have some kind of literary telepathy or something.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 04:39:20 AM
Here, this is a better example:

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2013, 01:14:45 AM
It is another form of mommy shaming. You don't know what led to them having a bigger family, and being a judgey concern troll about it isn't something to be proud of.

Birthrates in the US are well below replacement levels, even with some people having "more than their share."

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 01:22:32 AM
You know, I just can't see myself ever sticking up for QG again.

DOUR,
Judgey Concern Troll

If you approached this with the right wrong maximally uncharitable frame of mind, and for whatever reason are compelled to throw in allegations of sexism you have prior evidence to believe are untrue, you might read that response as:

Attention weak and vulnerable female:

You appear to not be in total solidarity with tribal doctrine, as exemplified by the opinions currently held by Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around. You will cease this at once, and return to only speaking supportively of the Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around. Otherwise, when, not if, weak and vulnerable female next runs into trouble, Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around might not extend his aegis of iron-haired protection to her. Largest And Hairiest Male Ape-Man-Yeti-Thing Around is stating this out loud as a warning to any other weak and vulnerable females who might be thinking of stepping.

Ook, ook ook.

You'd have to go through some mental gymnastics and willfully forget a lot of things to arrive at that interpretation, but you could do it if you were sufficiently motivated. I don't know why anybody would, though.

What about my points?

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, Gogira isn't a weak and vulnerable female.

I would be loathe to make her cross. I respect her opinion, and will defend her opinion even when I disagree with it, if only for her integrity.

Not that she needs my support anyway. I'm just trying to make sure she doesn't do that thing to me that we don't speak of....

Nephew Twiddleton

But no, seriously, I actually do hold Gogira's opinions in high regard. She would have to do something quite egregious to lose that regard, and I don't see her doing that anytime in this incarnation. She's one of those folk that if she told me I was wrong, I would actually consider the fact that I was. And if I decided to continue to disagree with her on that point, I would have to make damn sure I was certain.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Twid, you're the bestest <3

GA, stick to white knighting for holist, I'm good.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2013, 04:58:26 AM

I'll go for bester. Bestest is a lot to live up to.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 05:00:05 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2013, 04:58:26 AM

I'll go for bester. Bestest is a lot to live up to.

To be fair, I'm pretty liberal with my superlatives.