Main Menu

Mommy Shaming

Started by Dildo Argentino, November 13, 2013, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 19, 2013, 07:16:38 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 04:13:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 04:09:42 AM
Except the part where race has nothing to do with overpopulation and resource consumption. And I've never said that human beings are wastes of space. If I felt that way I would be in favor of warfare. I am a pacifist. A rather adamant one at that.

Point of order:  Every war has resulted in a net population GAIN.  No shit.  People fuck faster than you can shoot them.  (Sarcasm aside, the boom after the war invariable makes up and exceeds the casualties of the war, in every case).

The only event that significantly reduced the human population was the black plague.  And THAT didn't last long, either.

There's another event that significantly reduced the human population.

I'm drawing a blank. I do know at one point we almost faced extinction, and worldwide population floated around 2000.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 04:17:24 AM
Except the part where race has nothing to do with overpopulation and resource consumption. And I've never said that human beings are wastes of space. If I felt that way I would be in favor of warfare. I am a pacifist. A rather adamant one at that.

Point of order:  Every war has resulted in a net population GAIN.  No shit.  People fuck faster than you can shoot them.  (Sarcasm aside, the boom after the war invariable makes up and exceeds the casualties of the war, in every case).

The only event that significantly reduced the human population was the black plague.  And THAT didn't last long, either.

Naturally.

Show a man almost certain death, let him live through it, and then get him a wife and see what happens.

And truth be told, the Black Death was the only major economic leveler in Western History.

Giving people a future is a remarkably effective form of birth control.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Wait. Contact between Europe and North America.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 07:20:51 AM

I'm drawing a blank. I do know at one point we almost faced extinction, and worldwide population floated around 2000.

It's affecting Japan and a few other nations right now.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 19, 2013, 07:22:46 AM

Radioactivity on fertility rates?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 07:21:41 AM
Wait. Contact between Europe and North America.

There was that, and more people died than in the Black Death. But it's not what I was referring to.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 07:25:36 AM

Prosperity.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 19, 2013, 07:27:28 AM

Prosperity.

Well, that's the ultimate win/win, if we can make it sustainable for everyone.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You see, it turns out that living a long healthy life and having the possibility of being something other than a breeding machine severely impacts a human's desire to gestate and push out child after child at the expense of their own health and longevity.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 07:28:59 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 19, 2013, 07:27:28 AM

Prosperity.

Well, that's the ultimate win/win, if we can make it sustainable for everyone.

Prosperity is relative, and one of the key markers is education, which is not resource-intensive.

Nephew Twiddleton

That's a fair point. Information is the most valuable resource, and it's freely available.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 06:14:43 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2013, 04:58:26 AM
GA, stick to white knighting for holist, I'm good.

You don't want me to use other's interactions with you as illustrations for rhetorical points. That's fair, and I'll respect that.

It's the bolded bit that gets to me. My direct interaction with holist in this thread so far as been:

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 14, 2013, 02:59:06 PM
Dear Holist:

Fuck you.

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 18, 2013, 11:26:39 PM
I don't really feel like sharing it with you, because you'll probably call me and my loved ones "sorry losers."

plus this comment:

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 12:28:54 AM
On the other hand, I don't like holist very much.

I feel that those statements are 1) straightforward, and 2) strongly characterize my relationship with holist in this thread as antagonistic. Given later ambiguous input, they would strongly influence interpretation of that ambiguity towards one consistent with an antagonistic relationship. I don't find it plausible that you honestly believe I'm trying to champion holist.

Which begs the question of why you'd type that out. The most generous interpretation I have is that I crossed an extremely important line, and you wanted to shock me into paying attention. Least generous is that you wanted to wound me, and accuracy be damned as long as it was hurtful - but that's not consistent with earlier observations of you being generally reasonable, thoughtful, and of not being suddenly and spontaneously spiteful.

The intermediate position is that you wanted position me closer to holist in social space and distance yourself from me. As holist is wildly and deservedly unpopular at the moment, this would weaken my social standing, and to the extent that I am not part of whatever in-group you are moving towards, strengthen yours. That's behavior I associate with people insecure in their standing in an important group, which, again, is not consistent with earlier observations of you. I read the bulk of your interactions with other established members as indicative of a confident peer-to-peer relationship, and from others get the impression that you're generally well respected. You could have not posted that and been fine. Apart from holist and arguably that one comment from Roger, no one's been attacking you in this thread; to the contrary, the entire thread up to the point when I used impact font was the board broadly telling holist that trying to make mothers feel guilty about their children was misogynistic and unacceptable. So I'm not aware of anything that would cause you to suddenly start feeling insecure or otherwise begin to act out of character, which means that I have a hard time taking the intermediate position either.

Usually when I fail to understand something to this extent, it means that there's a massive amount of context I'm ignoring?

Dude, just for the record, your "social standing", such as it is, has been shot for quite some time, totally independent of Holist. I take you off ignore from time to time just to see whether you've grown the fuck up yet or are still grandstanding and passive-aggressively trying (and failing in everyone's eyes but your own) to tell people what.

I'm not saying this to be mean or to fit in with the crowd, and honestly I think you can do a lot better for yourself. You aren't stupid or a bad person or anything, but the potshots get so fucking old that they just aren't worth reading anymore.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 19, 2013, 07:50:59 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 06:14:43 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2013, 04:58:26 AM
GA, stick to white knighting for holist, I'm good.

You don't want me to use other's interactions with you as illustrations for rhetorical points. That's fair, and I'll respect that.

It's the bolded bit that gets to me. My direct interaction with holist in this thread so far as been:

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 14, 2013, 02:59:06 PM
Dear Holist:

Fuck you.

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 18, 2013, 11:26:39 PM
I don't really feel like sharing it with you, because you'll probably call me and my loved ones "sorry losers."

plus this comment:

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 19, 2013, 12:28:54 AM
On the other hand, I don't like holist very much.

I feel that those statements are 1) straightforward, and 2) strongly characterize my relationship with holist in this thread as antagonistic. Given later ambiguous input, they would strongly influence interpretation of that ambiguity towards one consistent with an antagonistic relationship. I don't find it plausible that you honestly believe I'm trying to champion holist.

Which begs the question of why you'd type that out. The most generous interpretation I have is that I crossed an extremely important line, and you wanted to shock me into paying attention. Least generous is that you wanted to wound me, and accuracy be damned as long as it was hurtful - but that's not consistent with earlier observations of you being generally reasonable, thoughtful, and of not being suddenly and spontaneously spiteful.

The intermediate position is that you wanted position me closer to holist in social space and distance yourself from me. As holist is wildly and deservedly unpopular at the moment, this would weaken my social standing, and to the extent that I am not part of whatever in-group you are moving towards, strengthen yours. That's behavior I associate with people insecure in their standing in an important group, which, again, is not consistent with earlier observations of you. I read the bulk of your interactions with other established members as indicative of a confident peer-to-peer relationship, and from others get the impression that you're generally well respected. You could have not posted that and been fine. Apart from holist and arguably that one comment from Roger, no one's been attacking you in this thread; to the contrary, the entire thread up to the point when I used impact font was the board broadly telling holist that trying to make mothers feel guilty about their children was misogynistic and unacceptable. So I'm not aware of anything that would cause you to suddenly start feeling insecure or otherwise begin to act out of character, which means that I have a hard time taking the intermediate position either.

Usually when I fail to understand something to this extent, it means that there's a massive amount of context I'm ignoring?

Dude, just for the record, your "social standing", such as it is, has been shot for quite some time, totally independent of Holist. I take you off ignore from time to time just to see whether you've grown the fuck up yet or are still grandstanding and passive-aggressively trying (and failing in everyone's eyes but your own) to tell people what.

I'm not saying this to be mean or to fit in with the crowd, and honestly I think you can do a lot better for yourself. You aren't stupid or a bad person or anything, but the potshots get so fucking old that they just aren't worth reading anymore.

No, Gogira's desire to shock him into attention is way more plausible.

Nephew Twiddleton

Just out of curiosity, because I might have missed the confirmation, but seem to have picked it up in implication, but is GA intending on going into psychology?

And if so is he intending on treating patients? I wouldn't have thought twice about it until that post there.

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 08:08:37 AM
Just out of curiosity, because I might have missed the confirmation, but seem to have picked it up in implication, but is GA intending on going into psychology?

That's what I gathered from the last few pages... I was almost hoping nobody would point it out because each post turned out funnier than the last one.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman