News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Bang/No Bang?

Started by Salty, November 14, 2013, 08:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

After my recent Lite Mugging I've been considering a gun.

Actually, I've thought about it before, but talked myself out of it because I just couldn't justify the need. Now though, it seems.like a good idea.

1. No car
2. Can't get a dog for a few reasons
3. I walk constantly

What I'd like ITT:
Suggestions as to why this may be a good idea or a bad idea.
Suggestions as to potential guns. (I'm thinking a compact Glock. Reliable, durable, can fit in my coat pocket. Or a revolver of some kind)

What I dont want ITT:
2nd Amendment Debate, plz.

Eh?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

I know you have plenty of training, but I still think having a gun in a volitile situation only increases the overall instability.

Then again, I'm a bleeding heart pacifist, so YMMV.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 14, 2013, 08:57:03 PM
I know you have plenty of training, but I still think having a gun in a volitile situation only increases the overall instability.

Likewise, but I am going to take off my pacifist hat and try to add what I can to this.

In order to be useful in that sort of situation you would need a carry conceal. I don't know how easy it is to get those in Alaska but you need a damn good reason for it here in Massachusetts. And by damn good reason, I mean, you're probably not going to get one.

You'd also need to make sure that you were a quick enough draw to be an immediate counter threat and make yourself not a worthwhile target.

You would also need to know what is legally expected of you once you draw that gun. Pat recently applied for a gun license and he was describing what Mass laws were like. And if I recall correctly, if you draw, you're expected to shoot. If you shoot, you're expected to kill. Otherwise the other guy can sue the shit out of you. I could be remembering incorrectly, but the way he described it it sounds like there's virtually no point to getting a gun in Massachusetts and it's probably safer and cheaper to give up your wallet and pack of cigarettes.

We are, of course, a very blue state and fairly restrictive when it comes to owning personal arms. Alaska being what it is, I expect it to be very different. But that is something that you have to bear in mind. Regardless of what the laws are there, if you're going to buy a gun and use it for defense, you have to accept the possibility that you may have to shoot and kill someone.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Salty

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 14, 2013, 08:57:03 PM

I actually have no training, I would it acquire along with the gun, over a period of time of course. It'll give me a newThing To Do.

Salty

I'm not especially worried about being mugged. I'm happy to simply give away my things.

It's being beaten so badly I need my face reconstructed that worries me.

LMNO

To do the Bayesean thing on this, adding no prior experience with a handgun increases the probability of me telling you not to get one for self defense against dickheads on the street.

Nephew Twiddleton

Martial arts might be a better route. No license needed, no need to draw. You are the weapon, probably literally save your face, and don't have any unfortunate court dates.

Salty

Alaska gun laws are very, uh, easy going.

Conceal and carry is practically a Commandment of Gawd.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 14, 2013, 09:19:02 PM
To do the Bayesean thing on this, adding no prior experience with a handgun increases the probability of me telling you not to get one for self defense against dickheads on the street.

Ok. That follows. I've held and fired pistols and rifles, but would seek quality training.

Nephew Twiddleton

It takes longer, is probably more expensive, but you both walk away, one somewhat worse for wear.

Salty

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 14, 2013, 09:21:02 PM
Martial arts might be a better route. No license needed, no need to draw. You are the weapon, probably literally save your face, and don't have any unfortunate court dates.

Martial arts against four attackers who have a 100lbs on me each just won't work.

Plus, as for defense, it's less than optimal. You can't hurt someone unless in the specific instance, the moment of defense. And if they're armed. And if they're wildly drunk.

Oh  yeah, I'm not going out late in the dark again on my own.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Alty on November 14, 2013, 09:24:01 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 14, 2013, 09:21:02 PM

Martial arts against four attackers who have a 100lbs on me each just won't work.

Plus, as for defense, it's less than optimal. You can't hurt someone unless in the specific instance, the moment of defense. And if they're armed. And if they're wildly drunk.

Oh  yeah, I'm not going out late in the dark again on my own.

Fair point. Though, if they're wildly drunk, they won't be as coordinated, armed or not, though, projectile weapons changes that whole thing.

But that is another thing to take into consideration, if there's four of them and they have at least two guns. I can see LMNO's point about escalation. If you're mainly worried about personal injury it may still be more trouble than it's worth.

Salty

Looks like it's 12 hours of required training in AK for conceal and carry.

I probably won't get one. My eyesight is shitty and my hands shake. :lol:

The only gun that wpuld.really work for me (as in me hitting an intended target) is a shotgun, and I don't think I can just carry one of them.

Or can i...

Anyhow, I'd prefer a very large dog, overall.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Alty on November 14, 2013, 09:28:56 PM
Looks like it's 12 hours of required training in AK for conceal and carry.

I probably won't get one. My eyesight is shitty and my hands shake. :lol:

The only gun that wpuld.really work for me (as in me hitting an intended target) is a shotgun, and I don't think I can just carry one of them.

Or can i...

Anyhow, I'd prefer a very large dog, overall.

That's another one. If you have a mean looking dog, and you decide to take it for a walk to the liquor store, that dog may well be deterrent enough.

Salty

I had one once. She was huge, but she was a lab, boxy face though.

I lived in this same house at the time. I never feared for going on a walk, people.would see her coming from the end of the road and cross the street. :lol:

Salty

Let's assume though, please, that I would not just pull out a gun, if I had one, until the moment I genuinely feared for.my.life. Not as a threat, or as a meana for diffusing the situation. That's not, as far as I know, what guns are for.

They're for shooting people who are trying to kill/hurt you, as far as self defense goes.