News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Bang/No Bang?

Started by Salty, November 14, 2013, 08:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Alty on November 14, 2013, 09:42:05 PM
Let's assume though, please, that I would not just pull out a gun, if I had one, until the moment I genuinely feared for.my.life. Not as a threat, or as a meana for diffusing the situation. That's not, as far as I know, what guns are for.

They're for shooting people who are trying to kill/hurt you, as far as self defense goes.

Wasn't assuming that at all. That's why I brought up what Alaska expects you to do once the gun is out.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on November 14, 2013, 08:55:27 PM
After my recent Lite Mugging I've been considering a gun.

Actually, I've thought about it before, but talked myself out of it because I just couldn't justify the need. Now though, it seems.like a good idea.

1. No car
2. Can't get a dog for a few reasons
3. I walk constantly

What I'd like ITT:
Suggestions as to why this may be a good idea or a bad idea.
Suggestions as to potential guns. (I'm thinking a compact Glock. Reliable, durable, can fit in my coat pocket. Or a revolver of some kind)

What I dont want ITT:
2nd Amendment Debate, plz.

Eh?

How much training have you had with firearms?

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

I've fired them. That's about it.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on November 14, 2013, 09:16:10 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 14, 2013, 08:57:03 PM
I know you have plenty of training, but I still think having a gun in a volitile situation only increases the overall instability.

Then again, I'm a bleeding heart pacifist, so YMMV.

I actually have no training, I would it acquire along with the gun, over a period of time of course. It'll give me a newThing To Do.

Carrying a firearm before completing a certain amount of training is a really good way to learn if your butt is big enough to be a holster.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on November 14, 2013, 09:47:28 PM
I've fired them. That's about it.

I have a meeting to attend.  I'll respond in detail later.

East Coast Hustle

If you truly want one for self-defense in a "my life is in imminent danger" situation, there are a couple of things you need to know:

1) You can get a palm-sized 2-shot pistol in a lethal caliber. Effective range is point blank but if you're getting your face beaten in you're probably at point-blank range.

2) Taurus makes a revolver that fires .410 shotgun rounds. It's expensive, heavy, and has quite a bit of kick but it's a goddamn shotgun pistol.

3) Make sure your gun isn't registered. On the one in a million chance that you DO shoot someone, you can always report the incident if you decide it's in your best interest to do so but if your gun is registered then you're pretty much FORCED to report the incident even if that's NOT in your best interest.

4) Ultimately, LMNO is correct. Statistically speaking, having a gun significantly increases your chances of getting shot.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 14, 2013, 09:49:59 PM
1) You can get a palm-sized 2-shot pistol in a lethal caliber. Effective range is point blank but if you're getting your face beaten in you're probably at point-blank range.

This.  Also, make sure the fucking thing has a trigger guard, isn't made in China, and is single action.

Salty

Ok so:

Provided I do decide on a gun,
1. Realize the numbers are against me, and that I am greatly increasing the volatility of a given situation just having the thing on me.
2.Acquire as much training as time/money allow well before acquiring gun.
3. They make small pistols with enough bang.

I found these little .22 magnums with grip holsters. Even a .22 magnum probably wouldn't be enough, but they do carry five rounds.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on November 14, 2013, 10:00:52 PM
Ok so:

Provided I do decide on a gun,
1. Realize the numbers are against me, and that I am greatly increasing the volatility of a given situation just having the thing on me.
2.Acquire as much training as time/money allow well before acquiring gun.
3. They make small pistols with enough bang.

I found these little .22 magnums with grip holsters. Even a .22 magnum probably wouldn't be enough, but they do carry five rounds.

5 little holes will kill someone as fast or faster than one large hole.

Also, you're far more likely to hit and have a far lower return-to-target time.  Neglible, in fact.

East Coast Hustle

I dunno, .22 can be lethal but it certainly isn't a given. If you're going for a derringer-style palm pistol that's gonna be used point-blank anyway, I'd go with .38 or .40S&W. And no matter what load you end up going with, definitely splurge and get the jacketed hollow points. I mean, the point is to utterly and irrevocably kill the ever-living fuck out of someone, right? No point saving $10 a box on bullets.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Alty, do they have any gun ranges up there that let you rent out different guns and types of ammo to see what works for your grip and needs? I'd give that a go first, if it's available.

If I were going to get a gun, again, I'd probably go with something in the Springfield XD range. Nice guns, I like their weight and how they work. Derringers are cute and all, but I do not have dainty hands.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 14, 2013, 11:31:15 PM
I dunno, .22 can be lethal but it certainly isn't a given. If you're going for a derringer-style palm pistol that's gonna be used point-blank anyway, I'd go with .38 or .40S&W. And no matter what load you end up going with, definitely splurge and get the jacketed hollow points. I mean, the point is to utterly and irrevocably kill the ever-living fuck out of someone, right? No point saving $10 a box on bullets.

Just realized this might have unintentionally come off as sounding arrogant, given I was replying to an infantryman. :lulz:

Not meant that way, though. More of a "you're totally right but given the very specific context I imagine Alty ever needing to use a gun in maybe this would be more suitable?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 15, 2013, 12:59:03 AM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 14, 2013, 11:31:15 PM

Just realized this might have unintentionally come off as sounding arrogant, given I was replying to an infantryman. :lulz:

Not meant that way, though. More of a "you're totally right but given the very specific context I imagine Alty ever needing to use a gun in maybe this would be more suitable?"

S'ok.   :lulz:

It's largely a matter of budget.  .22 is cheap enough to practice with, and practice is the difference between muscle memory saving your ass, and doing the tunnel-vision panic thing.

Salty

I would never want to kill anybody, ever.

But i think a .22 to the temple, neck, or face will, if not kill them, seriously deter further efforts.
I really appreciate all the input!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on November 15, 2013, 03:21:05 AM
I would never want to kill anybody, ever.

But i think a .22 to the temple, neck, or face will, if not kill them, seriously deter further efforts.
I really appreciate all the input!

If you're not shooting to kill, then you are using the wrong type of weapon.  Seriously.  Only in the Lone Ranger comics did people shoot to wound.

Get a sock and put a roll of quarters in it.  That will maul a fucker, and he usually doesn't get dead.