News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Bang/No Bang?

Started by Salty, November 14, 2013, 08:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

If I recall correctly, Alaska is an open carry state. So just get a damn pair of sixguns and a cool double holster and wear that shit fabulously. Who the fuck is gonna fuck with an angry hungarian wearing sixguns?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Pæs

The trick with a riot baton is not getting it taken off you.

The benefit of a riot baton is that you can keep it up your sleeve and then with one movement extend it and bring it into your hand, so a fully extended baton appears from nowhere. Often doing that with a flourish and saying "PRESTO" is enough to make someone reconsider engaging with you.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on November 15, 2013, 09:38:51 PM

The benefit of a riot baton is that you can keep it up your sleeve and then with one movement extend it and bring it into your hand, so a fully extended baton appears from nowhere. Often doing that with a flourish and saying "PRESTO" is enough to make someone reconsider engaging with you.

I typically just go straight to the horrible bit, rather than threaten.  But that's because I am fucking annoyed by people who can't behave themselves.  Also, 10% of the time, the guy comes at you anyway, and now he knows you have the baton.

Also, when hitting someone with a baton, you always come DOWN with it, and not side-to-side.  It's harder to duck out of the way, and the proper place to hit someone is the collar bone.  It won't kill them, but they won't be using that arm until they've spent a while in a brace.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 15, 2013, 09:48:02 PM

I typically just go straight to the horrible bit, rather than threaten.  But that's because I am fucking annoyed by people who can't behave themselves.  Also, 10% of the time, the guy comes at you anyway, and now he knows you have the baton.

Also, when hitting someone with a baton, you always come DOWN with it, and not side-to-side.  It's harder to duck out of the way, and the proper place to hit someone is the collar bone.  It won't kill them, but they won't be using that arm until they've spent a while in a brace.
Threatening is generally a bad idea, yeah. Safer to go straight to the horrible bit rather than gamble with threatening anyone. Like you say, you don't want to let them know you have anything.

PopeSlag

I want to change my answer to a sled team of skunks.
First, when people are having fun, time is said to go by faster. Second, with objects sharing a common gravity, time is slower for the object closest to the center of gravity. Therefore, it's more fun in space.

East Coast Hustle

This.

In general, when faced with scrapping with someone who might actually be trying to hurt you, IMO the 3 most immediately effective things you can do to end the fight are to break the collarbone, stomp the top of their arch hard enough to break their foot (works best with hard-soled boots), or rip their ear off. All 3 things take surprisingly little force if that force is properly applied.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 15, 2013, 11:09:22 PM

This.

In general, when faced with scrapping with someone who might actually be trying to hurt you, IMO the 3 most immediately effective things you can do to end the fight are to break the collarbone, stomp the top of their arch hard enough to break their foot (works best with hard-soled boots), or rip their ear off. All 3 things take surprisingly little force if that force is properly applied.

Nose biting is spectacularly effective, if you aren't squeamish.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

not to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but what about going for the side of the knee (LCL), or barring that, straight for the junk?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This.

My friend bit a guy's ear off and it worked surprisingly well. I don't think people like getting maimed, even when they're all fucked up on whatever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 16, 2013, 12:20:57 AM
not to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but what about going for the side of the knee (LCL), or barring that, straight for the junk?

The junk is good.  Don't miss.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 15, 2013, 11:55:13 PM

This.

Nose biting is spectacularly effective, if you aren't squeamish.

I cut a guy once when he swung on me. He looked at the little cut on his arm and ran off to the ER.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 16, 2013, 05:04:11 AM

This.

My friend bit a guy's ear off and it worked surprisingly well. I don't think people like getting maimed, even when they're all fucked up on whatever.

It's a deep seated fear for pretty much everyone. A friend of mine who went through the Federal law enforcement academy was trained, should he find himself using his knife in close quarters combat, to announce, "I am holding a knife and if you do not stop I will cut you with it," or something to that effect. Just a clear announcement of capabilities and intentions. I guess that is enough to stop a lot of people. We're all terribly, terribly afraid of being stabbed.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Pæs

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 16, 2013, 05:48:20 AM

Their balls have to wind up in their stomach. Any less and I've seen some people just get really angry about a kick in the junk.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on November 16, 2013, 06:19:38 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 16, 2013, 05:48:20 AM

Their balls have to wind up in their stomach. Any less and I've seen some people just get really angry about a kick in the junk.

Like I said, bite their nose.  They'll spend the rest of their lives in abject terror of anything with teeth.

Sita

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 16, 2013, 05:04:11 AM

My friend bit a guy's ear off and it worked surprisingly well. I don't think people like getting maimed married, even when they're all fucked up on whatever.
This is how I read it. My eyes are obviously not awake yet :lol:
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.