My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

Bang/No Bang?

Started by Salty, November 14, 2013, 08:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sita on November 16, 2013, 01:20:46 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 16, 2013, 05:04:11 AM

My friend bit a guy's ear off and it worked surprisingly well. I don't think people like getting maimed married, even when they're all fucked up on whatever.
This is how I read it. My eyes are obviously not awake yet :lol:

:lol: Well, that is kind of how I feel about getting married.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

If you're looking for a concealable self-defense tool, i would look into Cold Steel's Pocket Shark
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91SPB/POCKET_SHARK.aspx

They're hard, heavy and blunt enough to jam in an attackers eye or neck, they can be used the same as a kubaton for grapples and locks, plus they can be easily carried in a pocket or sleeve. Plus they're really nice permanent pens, so there's that.

Also, the site sells sword canes, just saying.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 02, 2013, 06:57:06 AM
If you're looking for a concealable self-defense tool, i would look into Cold Steel's Pocket Shark
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91SPB/POCKET_SHARK.aspx

They're hard, heavy and blunt enough to jam in an attackers eye or neck, they can be used the same as a kubaton for grapples and locks, plus they can be easily carried in a pocket or sleeve. Plus they're really nice permanent pens, so there's that.

Also, the site sells sword canes, just saying.

Will it work with my tactical pants?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Heh, my friend had a sword cane.  Or rather a "sword" cane.  It was blunt enough that we once used it to destroy the gate of a minor British celebrity.

I have no advice on having a gun/having something else, but I will say the most important thing about carrying a weapon for self-protection is to carry a weapon you feel comfortable with and can use easily.  For instance, for whatever reason, I'm comfortable with knives.  Of course, it is illegal to carry a weapon for self-defence in the UK, but if I felt threatened and for some reason had to choose one, a knife would be my top choice.  It's easy to carry without being obvious, and I know where to stick one to stop a fight quickly.

Apart from that, of course you need to learn to use such a weapon properly, whatever you choose.  Any weapon is also a potentially a weapon against you, and if you don't know how to use it in the first place, the chances of it being taken from you and turned on you is a lot higher.  With guns I'm sure there are training courses, especially in a place like Alaska, and with things like knives or batons, certain martial arts will teach their use as part of the training, which can be supplemented by certain training guides.

Beyond that, the only advice I could give is the kind you are no doubt following anyway.  Avoid potential altercations, learn the signs for how one is starting and perhaps learn the warning signs for how you are being set up for a mugging or similar.  If you do decide to carry a weapon and ever need to use it, showing you tried to end the situation peacefully and without violence goes a hell of a way towards building a strong self-defence case.  Of course, American law tends to be somewhat generous in that regard, especially if you're white, but it's best to err on the side of caution, and it's better from a psychological POV too.