News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Will the real holistic medicine please stand up?

Started by Golden Applesauce, November 17, 2013, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

I had the chance to do some research on Traditional Chinese Medicine a while back, and while i admit that there's a lot of shit within the wider world of holistic medicine that can be dismissed as hippy bullshit (as much as I hate pill-happy psychiatrists, i immediately discount any herbalist that would tell me that EVERYTHING can be solved with herbs),what I managed to take away from it was this:
TCM(and disciplines like it) aren't scientific, but they can still prove valuable. Practices like herbalism, yinyangism, or chakras came about thousands of years before there was  much in the way of an established scientific method as we know it today. So, instead of an organized methodology for forming and testing hypotheses, TCM owes its roots to more of a cultural tradition of trial and error. Basically, a healer had what he'd been told worked from whoever trained him, he tried it out on whoever he was called upon to heal, and if it worked, he kept on doing it, if it didn't, well... less so. As a result, you got tons of differing accounts of what things were good for what, and broader theories about the body were made to explain the things they observed, which is why it's still considered healthy in china to eat according to ones chi(is it warm, or cool? wet or dry?). And while it has lead to a number of fallacies (spoiler:ground tiger dong does nothing for virility) modern science has found some claims that hold true. There are some nuggets of useful knowledge there, it's just a matter of how much hippie bullshit you wanna wade through in order to find them
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on November 19, 2013, 01:29:47 AM
TCM(and disciplines like it) aren't scientific, but they can still prove valuable. Practices like herbalism, yinyangism, or chakras came about thousands of years before there was  much in the way of an established scientific method as we know it today. So, instead of an organized methodology for forming and testing hypotheses, TCM owes its roots to more of a cultural tradition of trial and error.

Yeah, that powdered Rhinoceros horn gets my dick good & hard.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Yea, that's exactly my point. because the field itself isn't scientific, it puts the impetus upon you, the patient, to do your research into what you're about to do; much in the way that not wanting to eat GMOs means you're probably gonna hafta buy your veggies from a farmer's market at twice the price.

You can either read up on which herbs are natural mood balancers and discover which ones work for your own personal body chemistry through trial and error, or you can take some prescription antidepressant that takes away your lows, and also your highs.

or some third thing. whatever floats your boat.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on November 19, 2013, 01:48:47 AM
Yea, that's exactly my point. because the field itself isn't scientific, it puts the impetus upon you, the patient, to do your research into what you're about to do; much in the way that not wanting to eat GMOs means you're probably gonna hafta buy your veggies from a farmer's market at twice the price.

You can either read up on which herbs are natural mood balancers and discover which ones work for your own personal body chemistry through trial and error, or you can take some prescription antidepressant that takes away your lows, and also your highs.

Outstanding.  I believe that I will also become an expert automotive mechanic before I go to get my oil changed.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Some people like fixing their own cars. And even when they don't, don't you check out if a mechanic is any good before you bring your car to him?

That's actually not a bad metaphor for alternative medicine practioners. Some will fix the engine, some will insist on putting in a brand new engine, and that your motor elf has worn out and a new one must be ordered from the shores of Avalon.  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 01:49:59 AM

Outstanding.  I believe that I will also become an expert automotive mechanic before I go to get my oil changed.

I gotta say dude. Your There Are Four Lights avatar is making some of your posts pure gold.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on November 19, 2013, 01:57:20 AM
Some people like fixing their own cars. And even when they don't, don't you check out if a mechanic is any good before you bring your car to him?

That's actually not a bad metaphor for alternative medicine practioners. Some will fix the engine, some will insist on putting in a brand new engine, and that your motor elf has worn out and a new one must be ordered from the shores of Avalon.  :lulz:

How about "allowing a self-taught, non-regulated random schmoe poke around in my car's fuel system"?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 01:57:24 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 01:49:59 AM

I gotta say dude. Your There Are Four Lights avatar is making some of your posts pure gold.

It's my favorite avatar to date, I think.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 01:59:57 AM

How about "allowing a self-taught, non-regulated random schmoe poke around in my car's fuel system"?

"Um.... hmmmm. It might be the alternator"

Twid,
Doesn't actually know what an alternator does, or what it looks like. Just knows it exists.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 02:01:16 AM

Twid,
Doesn't actually know what an alternator does, or what it looks like. Just knows it exists.

It's the thing that keeps your tires evenly inflated by alternating the chi between them.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 02:02:01 AM

Twid,

It's the thing that keeps your tires evenly inflated by alternating the chi between them.

Cool. I'll tell Pat he can get back in the office because I got this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 02:03:36 AM

Twid,

If that doesn't work, we'll have to resort to acupuncture.  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 02:04:38 AM

Twid,

Oh man, tomorrow at practice, if he and Pete start talking cars, I should pull this sort of shit out. Last week I was talking with Villager about the seminar on phages I went to, and Pat was like, "Um.... I fix cars." It would be a nice little reminder to him that just because he fixes cars doesn't mean he's dumb, but rather the opposite (apparently he thinks that he is. I never picked up on it. I did mention to him once that the difference between a mechanic and a doctor was the difference between metal and meat, but that was fairly recent and just before I heard about this).

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 02:11:48 AM

Twid,

Oh man, tomorrow at practice, if he and Pete start talking cars, I should pull this sort of shit out. Last week I was talking with Villager about the seminar on phages I went to, and Pat was like, "Um.... I fix cars." It would be a nice little reminder to him that just because he fixes cars doesn't mean he's dumb, but rather the opposite (apparently he thinks that he is. I never picked up on it. I did mention to him once that the difference between a mechanic and a doctor was the difference between metal and meat, but that was fairly recent and just before I heard about this).

Both are real skills that take years to develop.  However, mechanics have a HUGE advantage...Our patient won't die if we leave the job for the day, or fuck something up.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 19, 2013, 02:15:15 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 19, 2013, 02:11:48 AM

Twid,

Both are real skills that take years to develop.  However, mechanics have a HUGE advantage...Our patient won't die if we leave the job for the day, or fuck something up.

Damn straight. Though, it seems like your engineering skills usually have some sort of urgency attached due to massive incompetence on the part of your coworkers. :lulz:

Speaking of which, have you brought a radio to Ernie lately?