News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 28, 2015, 02:41:15 PM
GIVE UP YOUR DEGREE AND PLAY MODDED SKYRIM FOR A LIVING.

You know, if I could figure out a way to monetize that...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 07:21:31 AM
Then it would be work.

I can;t even imagine how dreary it would be to get up in the morning and think, "Ah fuck, I have to get the game up. Another day of playing that fucking game. I SHOULD be playing it right now, I'll get started right after I read the Wall Street Journal"

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on May 28, 2015, 02:16:17 PM
If you're going to play modded Skyrim...it will eat all of your free time.

Especially if you install those mods I linked to there.  That's an extra 50 hours of gameplay, right there.

Though possibly not as much as modded Fallout: New Vegas

Also, if you're going to install mods to Skyrim, I reccommend installing "Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips"
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Demolition Squid

Things I've learned from the response to the Fallout 4 launch:

1) Any sequel to anything which has mod support will forever more just be 'that last game but with mods!'
2) Having a character who has a family is something Bethesda should be ashamed of because it means they can't be gay.
3) Including tongue-in-cheek references to McCarthyism in a game set in a stylized 1950s world is worth getting angry about.
4) The Witcher 3 has rendered Fallout obsolete because there were more models on the screen.
5) Including the ability for NPCs to use 1000 pre-selected names in spoken dialogue is awful because they won't include names like 'Jemimah' or 'Epiphany' or 'Sir General Fuckwad 97'
6) Programmers shouldn't be allowed to appear to have rehearsed their presentation - that makes it too 'Corporate'
7) Crafting systems are literally the devil.
8) Lack of mention for modders mean there is no respect at bethesda for modders.
9) Fallout is now officially 'just another FPS'.
10) I fucking hate internet comments.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cainad (dec.)

Dark Souls 3 is going to exist. Even if it's the worst of the Souls series I'll probably still like it more than 90% of vidya games.

Cain

Quote from: Demolition Squid on June 15, 2015, 01:36:28 PM
Things I've learned from the response to the Fallout 4 launch:

1) Any sequel to anything which has mod support will forever more just be 'that last game but with mods!'
2) Having a character who has a family is something Bethesda should be ashamed of because it means they can't be gay.
3) Including tongue-in-cheek references to McCarthyism in a game set in a stylized 1950s world is worth getting angry about.
4) The Witcher 3 has rendered Fallout obsolete because there were more models on the screen.
5) Including the ability for NPCs to use 1000 pre-selected names in spoken dialogue is awful because they won't include names like 'Jemimah' or 'Epiphany' or 'Sir General Fuckwad 97'
6) Programmers shouldn't be allowed to appear to have rehearsed their presentation - that makes it too 'Corporate'
7) Crafting systems are literally the devil.
8) Lack of mention for modders mean there is no respect at bethesda for modders.
9) Fallout is now officially 'just another FPS'.
10) I fucking hate internet comments.

I can kinda agree with crafting, because Bethesda have always been fucking terrible at crafting.  I mean, Morrowind allowed you to literally break the game with alchemy and/or enchantment (I had fortify intelligence and luck potions that lasted for several months...not game time, real time.  Oh and 100% Chameleon Glass Armour) , and while Oblivion and Skyrim nerfed that considerably, they still didn't do a good job of balancing it.

And at least in Morrowind breaking the game was half the fun, because of enemies like Gaenor and that lich in Tribunal.

Cain

New Mass Effect announced.

Expect 3+ years of accumulated butthurt from the trilogy ending to spill out all over the web.

Rev Thwack

Mass Whateffect? Sorry, can't hear you over my raging boner for Fallout 4.
My balls itch...

Demolition Squid

Yeah, I fully expect crafting to break the game - when I saw the huge list of customizable weapons you can just throw together at your shop I was just like 'yup, that's gonna make it trivial'. But... that's sorta the point in Bethesda RPGs in my experience. In Skyrim or in Fallout, God is the guy with the hammer.

Buuuut there's a lot of people talking about how letting you build buildings is going to make the game into a cheap Rust knockoff. I don't think that's fair - it sounds like they're trying to build on the Fallout 3 'invest in caravans' option to let you build up whole shanty towns.

At worst, it'll be a useless subsystem easily ignored - at best, modders will turn it into something truly awesome. I can't really see it as a downside.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Rev Thwack

I can't really follow the people who complain that the crafting will let you break the difficulty of the game. It's a bit premature to be saying that when the game has just now been shown. Even if it does turn out that you can break it, so what? Bethesda has never tried to save the player from themselves, more like the opposite. God mode is available from the start with nothing needed to enable it, community modding is something they make easy as hell, knowing full well that modders will make insanely overpowered weapons and armor... Even official patches and DLC often destroys balance, like with GRA.

Really, it comes off more like people looking for something in the game to bitch about in order to justify their own dislike of the series.
My balls itch...

Cain

I'd be fine with them destroying balance if their games weren't so face-rolling easy in the first place.  At least then I'd feel like I'd earn it.

Like, I mod Skyrim.  A lot.  To justify the kind of insane bonuses you get from smithing/enchanting/alchemy in the base game I find myself using a host of AI/combat mechanics improving/spawn increasing/outright unfair enemy enhancement mods.  Which is great, because I love a challenge, but it would be nice if Bethesda had a vision of challenge that wasn't "herp derp increase incoming damage decrease outgoing damage" and "grind moar".

But I am a filthy elitist when it comes to difficulty, which I will acknowledge, and I accept my vision of challenge wont be accepted by everyone.  But even if it were an optional setting, that would be something.

Reginald Ret

When it comes to being challenged in combat I like Mount & Blade: Warband. There are a lot of options you can set to make it as hard as you want to.

Especially controlling attack and block directions manually and setting damage to player at least at normal makes for very fun battles.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"