News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I'm doing my best not to watch anything on it yet, and its killing me.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on September 27, 2016, 08:25:18 PM
Bethesda released their Creative Kills video for Dishonored 2 the other day as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBJom2VZis

Emily's Domino skill is so damn dirty.  When I saw the E3 gameplay demo, I have to say the potential of that power was pretty exciting to me.  Seems like there's almost no limit to the kind of status effects you can link onto people, push, stun grenades and kills with blades all seem to work just as well.

It appears they've also revamped non-lethal to make it a bit easier and more viable.  The talent trees will apparently have nonlethal options built into them.

I forget were I saw it, but somewhere I think it was stated that Emily has more crowd control abilities because she's royalty and such abilities are thematic for her. Which raises odd questions about why Corvo has the power to eat rats and also summon them to eat people.

Cain

Cain

So, just in case it appealed, in addition to about a billion "wang" jokes, Shadow Warrior 2 also has references to PKD, RAW, Crowley, Yippies and Monty Python.  In the first half hour.

It's also really optimised for PCs, which makes a nice change.

Eater of Clowns

I'm a little late but is anyone else on the Darkest Dungeon train?

I got to the second sub-boss, the Seer, slowly ticking him down with DoTs while my meleers hacked through his protective rows. He's down to the last few hits, but then wipes three of my party members and leaves my Hellion on Death's Door with a debuff. He's two hits away but without healing she won't make it. Fuck it, I hit him with the glaive, have a freak crit and kill him. I practically jump for joy, then I remember those other three party members are permadead and there's no save scumming to try for a better result.

For her success, I rewarded my Hellion with a week of flagellation to reduce stress. Luckily I think I can dive right back in because my Crusader just got his syphilis cured.

The ups and downs are very Dark Souls.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

I've been tempted to play, but I think there were some mixed reviews which put me off a bit....that was when it was still in development though, and so could well have been fixed.

I also figure if I want pain and humiliation and crippling injuries I'll just boot up any one of my Skyrim: Requiem Winter Skyrim Overhaul/Requiem Survival Experience runs. 

Ziegejunge

I really like Darkest Dungeon, although admittedly I'm not very far into it yet.

Faust

I started the Dark Souls 3 DLC but when I'm done I'll try it out.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on November 07, 2016, 09:22:42 PM
I started the Dark Souls 3 DLC but when I'm done I'll try it out.

Welcome to the frozen forest of Ganksquad.

Faust

Sa far so good, then I enjoy the PvP even when you get a gank squad after you, every so often you kill them all and thats a nice feeling.

Junkenstein

Anyone bothered with the latest Deus Ex? The brief review is more of the same, including janky plot. Nothing particularly of note outside of a couple of design decisions like "pick ONE quest to marginally influence your ending cut scene and options" Ends up feeling like an open world game out of spite, not because it wants to be.

Bannerlord is at "advertise on steam" point now, which is promising.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261550

A couple of years of mods here should see some awesome shit. The siege gameplay (second video) cries out for multiplayer.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Deus Ex is beautiful, long, but with very little story progression in the main story. The side quests are way more interesting and well written than the main game. I really enjoyed it, but the lack anything other then a very bare bones story means that it lacks any kind of dramatic punch when it comes to an unfinished end.
If they had treated the main story as just another one of the side quests and have no overarching plot other then Prague + Investigations, it would have felt far more satisfying and possibly have been commended for world building story instead of what it gave.

The narrative has been getting progressively weaker from the original Deus Ex (one of the best examples of story telling in games) which is still one of the most organic feeling stories that can be directly shaped by the player without feeling interrupted from the flow of the game.
This latest one is heavy on expository dialogue, heavy handed use of Augs as a stand in for any other persecuted minority (even having that misguided augs lives matter trailer).
Even with that, it's still one of the best games of the last few years and even if you played it to do nothing more then break into apartments, shops and buildings in Prague, its a visually striking and fun experience (even if a bit dumb).

Cain

Dishonored 2 PC port problems are real.

I have a decent, mid-range desktop (GTX 980, 16 gig ram, AMD FX 6350 processor) and I was getting 20-35 FPS on a mixture of low and very low settings.  I played around with the Nvidia settings abit, and I'm better now, 40ish FPS on middle settings, but it's still quite choppy and with some graphical tearing.

I also have to run it in windowed mode, or the game crashes on the main loading screen.  Which takes hideously long to load, btw.

All in all, it's a real shame, because otherwise the game is good fun to play.  I'm doing a Corvo low chaos playthrough, and though I'm skipping some of the levels a bit fast (to progress the story), and I'm liking it.  Enemies seem a bit smarter, a bit more attuned to their environment.  Verticality is definitely a thing.  And the non-lethal options are pretty awesome...you no longer have to be a master of stealth to keep your hands clean.  Clockwork Mansion mission was a bit messy, but otherwise I've had no problem only neutralizing the target and getting away clean (a bunch of guards following me through a rewired wall of light at the start of the mission did not help).

Freeky

Yeah, I'd heard there were major issues and they were putting up patches all today.  Shitty still, though

Cain

Weird too, because Dishonored 1 was, IMO, extremely well optimised for PC.  I was running it on my potato laptop with no issues.

I guess they got carried away with all the volumetric fog and god rays and bloom and everything.  That happens.