News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frontside Back

Bloodborne is officially awesome. Never before has a videogame made me to do dishes to feel like somewhat capable being.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Cramulus

Quote from: Frontside Back on January 20, 2020, 05:40:33 PM
Bloodborne is officially awesome. Never before has a videogame made me to do dishes to feel like somewhat capable being.

I think Bloodborne is the best in the Souls series, the best overall Action RPG for the PS4, and one of the better realizations of the whole Cosmic Horror genre. I cannot get enough of it.

altered

My 2010-2019 top 3 video games are Bloodborne, Monster Hunter: World, Control.

Bloodborne is number one, of course, for all the reasons you stated and more besides.

We have had some incredibly groundbreaking releases since 2016. It's hard to put the first half of the decade on the same level, even. We're talking top 25 before something prior to 2015 makes the cut for me. And I haven't even played all the real gems of 2017 onward yet.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

I find it difficult to pick but my favourite for last year I think might be subnautica, I picked it up with very little idea of what it is, and absolutely loved the sense of exploration and scale
Sleepless nights at the chateau

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Cramulus on January 20, 2020, 02:14:35 PM
Splurging at the end of the PS4 holiday sale, I picked up Divinity II and Witcher III. Haven't played any of the games in the serieseses leading up to these.

Divinity II feels like a spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate (which is nice, cause it's made by the company making BGIII). My friend suggested it to me, saying, "Hey, you like RPGs with a fucking shitload of stuff in them, right?" and jesus christ, he's right -- the combat is more complicated than D&D. It's a turn-based system where a lot of the abilities affect the terrain around you. One spell throws a boulder and leaves a 5 meter wide oil slick on the ground. Use your next action to hit a guy with a flaming dagger, and BOOM, the whole slick lights up, setting a portion of the battlefield on fire. Oh but if your other mage is a water-and-ice based spellcaster, that's a bad synergy, because being on fire makes people WARM, which buffs them against ICE damage, and the hailstorm spell will put out the fire. So there's a lot of things to think about, a lot of different strategies and plans you can come up with. Very tactical, very customizable. Every problem has 3 different ways of solving it. Lots of dialog options, and all the text is voice acted.

Witcher III seems good too, I haven't played nearly as much of it. Does the TV show spoil the video game or vice versa? I've watched one episode of the TV show and it was pretty good but (being unfamilliar with the franchise) I can't really tell if it crosses the same material.

Maybe a year or 2 ago I played through the first Divinity with my brother and it was a lot fun (I always liked Baldur's Gate, too). I did like the strategic use of spells in combat and how much everything interacted with each other, the problem solving, multiple dialog choices, and them some. It kept things interesting throughout. We have Divinity II now as well, but are waiting on two of his friends to finish the first so we can do a playthrough all together.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Cain

Grrr, I could have completed the entire Midyear Mayhem event in 24 hours if not for Cyrodiil being a clusterfuck. I just wanna mantle Pelinal Whitestrake by killing as many elves as is physically possible, is that too much to ask for?

Cain

Elves and the Cyrodiil servers, anyway.

chaotic neutral observer

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM
I'm loving it.

I've landed Kerbals on the Mun and brought them back safely, I'm learning about orbital mechanics and Δv, and I've designed giant ass-rockets that wobble horribly and then blow up if you try to pitch them over too quickly when in the atmosphere.

I'm playing in career mode, which means I'm getting my funds mostly from space tourism.  It's embarrassing, but science doesn't pay all that well.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

I've gotten into the true ESO endgame now, furnishing and decoration:

Eater of Clowns

Nice place you got there. Be a shame if somebody snuck in and rummaged through that basket.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

Eater of clowns breaking into cains room at night, placing a pot over his head, eating his apples
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 05, 2020, 11:57:26 AM
Nice place you got there. Be a shame if somebody snuck in and rummaged through that basket.

Go for it. I'm pretty sure I keep the Barbed Trap in there.

Cain

Also, apart from the books, the paintings and the religious symbols, everything in there is hand-crafted.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Faust on February 05, 2020, 12:34:08 PM
Eater of clowns breaking into cains room at night, placing a pot over his head, eating his apples

Then messing up his Elder Scrolls house.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cramulus

The Baldurs Gate 3 Gameplay looks incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hU6UJX_pc

It's definitely a Larian game... at one point, the producer, who is running the demo, fucks up and wipes the party, has to savescum back.  :lulz:

It seems like it's operating off of the D&D 5e rules + some optional rules (like second wind, group initiative), and a few add-ons like each weapon type having a special attack.

So it looks like combat moves much more quickly than in Divinity 2

will be real curious to see the full class list, and if multiclassing is possible.