News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I'm way too much of a pedant to hear "Let's get started" in the middle of a battle and not roll my eyes.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Cain on February 05, 2014, 04:58:57 PM
Part 4 is up

http://youtu.be/l1P81TW07gc

Not much happening today, I'm afraid.  It's mostly lore, characters and an entirely unnecessary murder.

Just finished up this part (yea, I'm slacking, been a busy week). Heh, I was wondering where the murder part came in so early in the game. In my last play through, like an asshole I forgot to ask him about the key before getting him the food so no access to the chest. I probably could've/should've killed him instead, but oh well.

Also, it did not occur to me to return at a later time for higher-level items. Granted, I only recently got access to the internet, and thus, downloadable content, at home so it was a nonissue before anyway. Good to know, though.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 07, 2014, 06:53:23 PM
I'm way too much of a pedant to hear "Let's get started" in the middle of a battle and not roll my eyes.

:lol: They're just getting started continuing the battle
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ooooh, I have an unexpected snow day, this sounds like the perfect backdrop for it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Also, Morrigan's got a nice rack.  Most Obvious Superpower, indeed.

Cain

Yeah, you won't be surprised to discover that Morrigan is a potential romance interest for a male character. 

Also, in regard to the voices, it could be worse.  One of the male human voicesets loops around to saying "Can I get you a ladder so you'll get off my back?" EVERY SINGLE TIME you click on him.  People have abandoned entire playthroughs due to that.

In regards to the later loot, most of it isn't that special, it's mostly stuff taken from the levelled items list...however, there is one staff you get which has something like a 5% chance to stun an enemy.  It's not end-game tier...but it'll do until you pick up something that is.

trippinprincezz13

Just finished catching up with the rest of the videos. Definitely enjoying this so far.

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2014, 08:08:02 PM
Also, in regard to the voices, it could be worse.  One of the male human voicesets loops around to saying "Can I get you a ladder so you'll get off my back?" EVERY SINGLE TIME you click on him.  People have abandoned entire playthroughs due to that.
Oh god, the female character I just played would not shut up with that. *Maybe* it wasn't every time, but it was a good 90-95% of her statements. It barely even makes any sense. I get it, but it's just so stupid, especially after thousandth time.

In regards to the later loot, most of it isn't that special, it's mostly stuff taken from the leveled items list...however, there is one staff you get which has something like a 5% chance to stun an enemy.  It's not end-game tier...but it'll do until you pick up something that is.

Ahh ok, cool. Good to know, anyway. Sounds like it would likely do me more good getting it early on in the game then, when I need anything I can my hands on.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Cain

I think it is designed for higher level characters though.  Like, level 15 or so?  Also, there is some equipment there which is very good, but the tier of the material is based on your level when you start, so it can be better to start it later.  On my playthrough I'll be looking to do it at around level 16, before the Deep Roads.

Cain

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Cain on February 11, 2014, 05:08:18 PM
I think it is designed for higher level characters though.  Like, level 15 or so?  Also, there is some equipment there which is very good, but the tier of the material is based on your level when you start, so it can be better to start it later.  On my playthrough I'll be looking to do it at around level 16, before the Deep Roads.

Oh ok, that's definitely good to know. Playing Fallout: New Vegas again, but next time I play DA, I'll remember that.

Quote from: Cain on February 11, 2014, 05:12:38 PM
Also part 7 is up.  You can finally see why the Joining is so super secret

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtvMmYtwwjU&feature=youtu.be

Watching now. Was away this past weekend, including off Monday, busy for two days and a snow day yesterday, so hadn't been online much and was worried I'd missed a lot. Don't wanna fall too far behind. 

Cain

I'll be uploading another episode tomorrow, but beyond that...well, I've got some recording to do.

Cain

And part 8, "The Tower of Ishal" is up.  That went much easier than I expected, especially the final fight.

http://youtu.be/eqhGHgXmBog

LMNO

Cain

Loghain's a bastard, tis true.  The series owes a level of debt to A Song of Fire and Ice, so it's not very surprising.

It makes more sense when you understand the background.  Loghain masterminded the defeat of the Orlesian Empire, driving them out of Ferelden 30 years previously and restoring the monarchy.  The King's own son, Cailan, idiot that he is (though with great hair), then turns around and tries to allow Orlesian troops back into Ferelden, in order to combat the Blight.  You may recall talk of Orlesian Grey Wardens being not far away.

Loghain, paranoid that he is, believes the Grey Wardens will be the tip of the spear.  The Wardens are meant to be above politics, but Orlais is the largest and most powerful kingdom on the Continent and Wardens have meddled in Ferelden politics before, which is why they were initially expelled.  And there is a game they play in Orlais, for honour and prestige.  Cunning plots and treachery are hallmarks of how it is played.

Loghain was looking in the wrong places, but I don't think he was entirely wrong.  The second game has rumblings of trouble between Ferelden and Orlais, and a significant portion of the third game is meant to be set in both countries. 

President Television

What's going on with the Darkspawn, anyway? I suspect there's far more to them than there appears, since they apparently know how to make crossbows and siege weapons. They're clearly intelligent, so why haven't they ever opened negotiations, or at least made demands? There's got to be some motivation behind their attacks.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

Nope, darkspawn are confirmed as non-sentient, though there is something of a gray-line in regards to Emissaries and Vanguards.  The only reason they appear to be coordinating, having tactics etc is because this is a Blight, and the Archdemon imposes a kind of unity on them, directing them around. Without that, they'd break up into small raiding parties, and mostly go back down underground.

As for the weapons...the darkspawn crushed the Dwarven Empire, and took over most of the Deep Roads.  The Roads are littered with weapons.  Sometimes, when someone gets infected by the taint, especially during the Blight, they'll go over to the darkspawn and work as a weaponsmith for them.  The taint means they are accepted, and also allows the Archdemon to influence their actions before completely dying.

That said...well, just wait for the expansion pack, Awakening.  More darkspawn lore will be made known during that.