News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 14, 2014, 08:10:55 PM
Also, I think we were talking about watch dogs a while back, what's your take on this review?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9cwOcdqs4

(spoiler heavy).

Seems on the money, I forgot it was ubisoft and I could kind of guess the problems ahead as soon as I heard that.

Cant watch at the moment, but current opinion of Watch Dog, based on previously seen gameplay, is that it is a bit boring and mostly overhyped.  Easy stealth, uninspired combat mechanics, hacking consists at least in part of mini-games....its OK, but nothing special.

Cain

Also, I know you're not a console player, but I'm hearing from people who are some very bad things about Destiny.  Most of which I can confirm via watching some footage myself.  Don't believe the hype.  Borderlands IN SPACE with Peter Dinklage's voice telling you to kill things sounds amazing, on the face of it.  It's repetitive, grindy, pretty to look at but utterly uninspired in story, gameplay or progression.

Cain

Stress testing proceeds well.  I'm doing beta-testing for the Perkus Maxmimus overhaul for Skyrim.  With PM and 78 other mods installed (including CWO, Frostfall, RND, Convenient Horses etc) I still maintain 60 FPS during the opening stages of the game.

Oh, I've also done some ini file edits, following the instructions from the STEP:Core setup (though I found using an ENBoost was giving me CTDs).  At most I'm getting a 2 FPS hit during some fight screens and when scripts are initialising, though I have yet to test this with any lighting or saturation and colour overhaul.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2014, 06:40:06 AM
Also, I know you're not a console player, but I'm hearing from people who are some very bad things about Destiny.  Most of which I can confirm via watching some footage myself.  Don't believe the hype.  Borderlands IN SPACE with Peter Dinklage's voice telling you to kill things sounds amazing, on the face of it.  It's repetitive, grindy, pretty to look at but utterly uninspired in story, gameplay or progression.

In other words, it's another standard AAA title with an approximate lifespan of about 15-20 hours.

I've been looking at "War for the Overworld" the real successor to Dungeon keeper. Looking good, will probably pick it up.

For those who missed the "Oh fuck, why, why,why did you do that":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpdoBwezFVA

Seriously, I've seen some appalling pay to win designs but that seems to be actually trying to insult and swindle you. This is beyond the pale though. It's almost worth suggesting a LP just to see how long anyone lasts before rage quitting.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2014, 06:40:06 AM

The funny thing about Destiny is that everyone I know who picked it up did so because everyone else was going to play it. Not a single one said "Yeah I'm really excited about the game." The sale was in it being the next event that everyone plays together. I think that's cool and all, but it'd be nice if the game was, you know, good at all.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

For all that development money, they just should've bought a stake in Farmville. 

I know, I shouldn't mock...but I will.

Vanadium Gryllz

I actually like Destiny.

Admittedly, it does feel a little disjointed and empty at the moment but the core mechanics of shooting aliens and seeing little numbers plink off them is fun. All three classes seem unique and relatively balanced and co-op play is a lot of fun.

The problem is that the social features are woefully underimplemented so if you don't already know a bunch of people playing then it probably gets a) hard and b) lonely.

Also once you reach the soft level cap it turns into a bit of a grind. I am hopeful that Bungie gives the game plenty of support though. If they can do what Blizzard did with Diablo 3 and take a good base game with a few problems and then fix/improve things regularly i'll be happy. Only time and patches will tell I suppose.

I think a lot of the problems are stemming from people going into the game with a range of different expectations. I wanted a fun, co-op space shooter and Destiny is filling that role admirably.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Junkenstein

Hang on a minute.

Diablo 3 - "A good base game with some problems"?

As I understand the situation, it's a bit of a mess with some game attached. Removal of the Auction house has probably helped, but it's Blizzard. They'll have fucked it up somehow, they always do.

Ah just checked - "Bind on Account" so no trading for you. Also - Always online. Even the new Simcity admitted this shit is dumb, eventually. I doubt Blizzard will learn as quickly. They never do.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Vanadium Gryllz

Hey, two years and an expansion pack down the line Diablo 3 is a fun dungeon crawler.

Granted, I hope that it doesn't take that long for Destiny to realise it's potential. There seems to have been a wave of games coming out recently that have promised a lot more than they were able to deliver. Titanfall springs to mind - again a good idea for the base of a game but it never quite felt 'complete' to me.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Junkenstein

Oh shit, really?

I loved the hell out of Diablo 2 (and 1. I am horribly old) so it's almost tempting to have another look at it. I just have very little faith left in Blizzard/Activision after the continuous bouts of dumb. Remember Real ID? No way that could have gone horribly wrong. If they drop that always online bullshit required for a single player game, I'll probably throw cash at it and hate myself accordingly. It's clearly a very different environment from the old Blizzard North days but I guess the basics of a Skinner box aren't exactly hard to replicate.

Cain

Destiny reminds me of ME3's MP.  Except ME3 offered much more in the way of classes, character customization and weapon choice.  And, if the current drop rates are accurate, less of a grind.

Given ME3's MP was dreamed up in some EA sub-basement a few months before launch and had about 4 people working on it, it doesn't exactly bode well for Destiny.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2014, 01:42:20 PM
Oh shit, really?

I loved the hell out of Diablo 2 (and 1. I am horribly old) so it's almost tempting to have another look at it. I just have very little faith left in Blizzard/Activision after the continuous bouts of dumb. Remember Real ID? No way that could have gone horribly wrong. If they drop that always online bullshit required for a single player game, I'll probably throw cash at it and hate myself accordingly. It's clearly a very different environment from the old Blizzard North days but I guess the basics of a Skinner box aren't exactly hard to replicate.

Yeah, I revisit Blizzard games for nostalgia purposes only. D3 isn't as terrible as I thought. They have a trial version that allows you to take each class up to level 13, so you can get a feel for it. Pretty reminiscent of DII, but not worth the price of admission, for me anyone.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 16, 2014, 03:00:34 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2014, 01:42:20 PM
Oh shit, really?

Yeah, I revisit Blizzard games for nostalgia purposes only. D3 isn't as terrible as I thought. They have a trial version that allows you to take each class up to level 13, so you can get a feel for it. Pretty reminiscent of DII, but not worth the price of admission, for me anyone.

*anyway. (DIII is still $40 for a digital download, plus $40 for the expansion)

If you're looking for a similar experience to Diablo II, Junkie, check out Torchlight and Torchlight II. Close to the same dev team, very similar gameplay, and something like $10 if you catch them on a Steam sale.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Junkenstein

Yeah, I've heard good things about both of them and "Path of the Exile" which is again same-ish genre and somewhat related dev team.

That said, I'm in no rush to start up either. The clicky skinner box holds less appeal for me nowadays.

Cain

Requiem stress test went well...until I tried to cook something.  Not sure if iNeed is conflicting with something, somewhere.  Entirely possible, since the modlist got up to 97 slots filled.

Or I might have a 1.8 patch installed by mistake.  Anything's possible, after rebuilding a modlist from scratch.