News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

What happened when you tried to cook? 

<Never stress tested anything, wonders if it's interesting.

Cain

Nothing fun, the game just crashes to desktop.  Which suggests a missing master file issue, even though none are being flagged by MO.

Freeky

Cain

I'm experimenting with the patcher for Requiem 1.8.1.1  Took me half an hour to realise I had missed a space when specifying the Java memory allocation and so the entire thing failed in a spectacular fashion.

Also, the latest version of MO does work with SkyUI now, perfectly.  So there is no reason not to use it.

Freeky

Cain

This was a test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfyb7uGz6Q

60 FPS, high graphical settings, recording with fraps.  No framerate hit whatsoever.

LMNO

Cain

I'm not gonna lie - I actually think I'm looking forward more to the DLC, especially The Knife of Dunwall.  Corvo's a bit of a blank slate as a character.  Not that that's a bad thing, especially when introducing a brand new series and setting.  But Daud...the man's got character, and history.  And a hell of a voice actor in Michael Madsen.

That's some footage from the Dunwall City Trials DLC, which is basically a series of non-storyline related challenges.  There were apparently a lot of calls for multiplayer for Dishonored, which I can definitely understand, though the game was never set up with that in mind.  So this was the compromise solution.

Faust

The Knife of Dunwall was excellent, I actually preferred it to the main story arc, for exactly the reasons you mentioned, corvo is a plank.
The voiceless protagonist in FPS worked in Half life because the dialog you had from NPCS was a little tongue in cheek. It worked in skyrim because you can respond with your dialog choices.

But every chapter has many people talking to corvo about beak and serious stuff, it kind of pulls you out of the immersion when everything is awkwardly phrased so as to not get a response.

The Brigmore witches wasn't quite as good but I still enjoyed it a hell of a lot. The funny thing is I didn't realise it was Michael Madsen until I was watching the credits on Brigmore, he is a excellent voice actor.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I can understand why they made that choice though - in any game where any sort of choice is available, the costs for voice-acting quickly spiral out of control, as you have to multiply the responses at the very least to match the number of options, if not more so.  I also suspect Bethesda were hedging their bets on whether this would be a success or not, and once it proved to be popular, were more willing to cough up extra money for it in the DLC.

But voice-acting in RPGs is definitely a tricky one.  I'm OK with not having a voiced protagonist, so long as the options to express character are there in the dialogue options (like the original Baldurs Gate, for example).  But having a voice definitely helps, especially if you're taking on a character with an established history and background.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on September 18, 2014, 10:25:54 AM
I can understand why they made that choice though - in any game where any sort of choice is available, the costs for voice-acting quickly spiral out of control, as you have to multiply the responses at the very least to match the number of options, if not more so.  I also suspect Bethesda were hedging their bets on whether this would be a success or not, and once it proved to be popular, were more willing to cough up extra money for it in the DLC.

But voice-acting in RPGs is definitely a tricky one.  I'm OK with not having a voiced protagonist, so long as the options to express character are there in the dialogue options (like the original Baldurs Gate, for example).  But having a voice definitely helps, especially if you're taking on a character with an established history and background.

Its been actively detrimental to some series.

Final Fantasy 10 went with voice acting and small dialogue tress, and it worked really well. Sure you don't REALLy effect the story that much, but the story was so strong it this factor is negligible.

In fact it's one of the few games that has a wonderyears style internal narration, and instead of cheesy it really helped develop the protagonist.

But then all of the FF games that have come since then have abysmal stories, so you really notice how your absence of dialog choices has you on a rail road.
Its the number one reason  I never want to see a remake of ff7
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I noticed it as a real problem in Dragon Age 2, where you were basically railroaded into making the decision the devs wanted, again and again, just done in a diplomatic, sarcastic or jerkass manner.

That aside, some amusement.  A Requiem "sort of noob" approaches the Valtheim Towers for the first time.

Freeky

That game above, the one that is apparently set in England, that looks AMAZING awesome!

Also, did you mention a mod that gets rid of spiders?  I looked in this thread and didn't see it, and searching by tags or "spider" didn't help on the mod site.

President Television

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 19, 2014, 10:52:50 PM
That game above, the one that is apparently set in England, that looks AMAZING awesome!

Yeah, Dishonored is pretty great. It's one of the few steampunk things I like, if only because it doesn't gloss over the bleakness that comes with an industrial revolution.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 19, 2014, 10:52:50 PM

Also, did you mention a mod that gets rid of spiders?  I looked in this thread and didn't see it, and searching by tags or "spider" didn't help on the mod site.

Try "Insects Begone" on Nexus Mods.  Gives you the options to get rid of all spiders and charaus, replacing them with "Invading Bears" and "Invading Skeevers".  Should also work with any mods that add Frostbite spiders back in...just make sure the "Insects Begone" esp file is below all such files in the mod load order.  However, it won't work for any mods which add any new kinds of spiders, like Skyrim Immersive Creatures (though that comes with a "No Spiders" option) and Moonpath to Elseweyr.

Also wont work with Requiem, but that's because it alters the spiders in such a way that the mod doesn't fully recognise them.