News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah, lets wait until E3 and Bethesda's "big announcement" before we get too excited.

Fallout IV or TES VI will be unveiled there, I'm 99% certain (and pretty certain its the former).  Having learnt from this event, Bethesda will likely try to rig things from the start next time, instead of come in much later and try to take over.   We will have to see how the next game goes.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on April 28, 2015, 08:38:38 PM
Yeah, lets wait until E3 and Bethesda's "big announcement" before we get too excited.

Fallout IV or TES VI will be unveiled there, I'm 99% certain (and pretty certain its the former).  Having learnt from this event, Bethesda will likely try to rig things from the start next time, instead of come in much later and try to take over.   We will have to see how the next game goes.
This is going to be Starcraft 2 all over again, isn't it?
Fucken broken by design products.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Maybe. 

Incidentally, started playing Pillars of Eternity.  Only about 3 hours in, but enjoying it so far.  Its basically an updated Infinity Engine, but there's nothing wrong with that, it's what they advertised.  I'm playing a character with reasonable Perception and Intelligence first time around, as well, which is offering some....interesting conversation choices.   VA is a bit questionable in places, but I didn't really expect it to be amazing, nor was it advertised as such (I'm actually surprised there is even that much).

Interested in trying the Path of the Damned/Expert/Trial of Iron trifecta sometime.  Maybe solo...will have to think about classes carefully if so, though.

Cainad (dec.)

I started Planescape: Torment a few weeks ago and was immediately blown away by the apparent depth and how much they didn't give a shit about making a fantasy game that was mainstream-friendly. I find it more immersive to play in vast, complicated, dense settings that I don't understand because that's basically the same as real life.

And then I got very quickly sidetracked by blowing my tax return on Bloodborne (and a PS4 to play it on). It's a stellar game in some respects, but it has some flaws that are hard to look past. Loading screen times are just one such flaw.

Junkenstein

I would  strongly recommend finishing Torment, when you get into the meat of what's going on it gets very, very good.

POE:

VA - Yes, it's often somewhat meh, but adds to flavour at various points later. I've blasted a quick run with companions to get a feel for them, I suppose I should warn you that one has massive spoilers if you don't have him along with you, it was quite a twist for me due to totally ignoring them.

The trifecta's been done by at least a few classes in a non-exploit way, so it's certainly possible. Personally, I don't have the paitence for such things. It's like "Hardcore" mode in Diabo, I get the point, even appreciate it but in games involving any kind of grind or constant combat it's just guaranteeing a smashed something at somepoint.

Incidentally, there's been a breakdown of the conversation options and paths and if you're not playing a cipher you get kinda fucked over. Seems a lot of plot-ish things got shoved into them. You'll see what I mean.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

I'm a glutton for punishment tho, so that sort of thing suits me.  I did a whole "single character" run of Baldurs Gate (1+2 and ToB) and it wasn't even a Mage/Kensai, favoured dual class of cheesemongers everywhere.  Not Dead is Dead, though I am considering doing that for Skyrim, if I can setup streaming properly when I get my new graphics card (SkyRe for funsies, or Requiem for short streams).

And yeah, I've already noticed ciphers are getting some special treatment.

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on April 28, 2015, 01:22:01 AM
Bethesda and Valve finally realised how badly they fucked up, and have backed down.  No more paid mods.

Good.

Billiam Poster

Joseph K.: I don't pretend to be a martyr, no.
Hastler: Not even a victim of society?
Joseph K.: I am a member of society.
Hastler: Do you think you can persuade the court that you're not responsible by reason of lunacy?
Joseph K.: I think that's what the court wants me to believe. Yes, that's the conspiracy: to persuade us all that the whole world is crazy, formless, meaningless, absurd. That's the dirty game. So I've lost my case. What of it? You, you're losing too. It's all lost, lost. So what? Does that sentence the entire universe to lunacy?

Meunster

Poe's law ;)

Cain

So I made a mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66376/?

It's nothing fancy, and more to deal with my own arachnophobia than anything else, but someone here might like it, I dunno.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 28, 2015, 01:14:18 PM
So I made a mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66376/?

It's nothing fancy, and more to deal with my own arachnophobia than anything else, but someone here might like it, I dunno.

It makes me wish I had time to play! Maybe this summer I can.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

If you're going to play modded Skyrim...it will eat all of your free time.

Especially if you install those mods I linked to there.  That's an extra 50 hours of gameplay, right there.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 28, 2015, 02:16:17 PM
If you're going to play modded Skyrim...it will eat all of your free time.

Especially if you install those mods I linked to there.  That's an extra 50 hours of gameplay, right there.

Hmmm I guess I probably best not, then. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain