News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Well, consider me pleasantly surprised

http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/

"Fate leads him who follows it, and drags him who resist." -Plutarch

Though Sarevok is dead and his plan for war averted, peace eludes the citizens of Baldur's Gate. A crusade marches from the north, seizing supplies, forcing locals into military service, and disrupting trade along the Sword Coast. A charismatic warrior known as the Shining Lady leads this army, her background shrouded in mystery. Can the rumors be true—is she, like you, the child of a god?

The closer you get to the Shining Lady, the more you realize your father, the dead Lord of Murder still casts a long shadow upon your path. Baldur's Gate has put its faith in you, but you must determine whose interests you truly serve before you face the Shining Lady among the ruins of Dragonspear Castle...

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear adds a new chapter to the Bhaalspawn saga. The events occurring between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II are at last revealed in this 25-hour expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

25 hour expansion pack is not to be sneezed at.  For sake of comparison, that's longer than the stated play time of all the Mass Effect 3 DLC put together.

From what I can recall of Forgotten Realms lore, Dragonspear was a favoured target of the city of Baldur's Gate, mostly because the Zhentarim kept opening portals to the Nine Hells there.  Reasonably enough, the Grand Dukes didn't want the Blood War spilling out into the western heartlands.   And tunnels connected it to the Underdark.  So demons, undead, Zhents and possibly drow are potential enemies, alongside the hordes of monsters which infest the High Moor.  And maybe another Bhaalspawn.  Because they've all proven pretty stable in previous games.

Junkenstein

Hmm.

I'll probably look at it, but I'm not going in with high hopes. The additional content in the EE versions I've played so far has ranged from "fits in seamlessly" to "horribly jarring and out of place".

This is their first real attempt at their own tale with relatively few props. Do well here and they're set for the next 5-10 years with remakes, interquels and sequels.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

I wasnt a big fan of the Black Pits, and thought the new characters were mostly unnecessary, given modders can and have been doing better with new party members for years.  But Chris Avellone, former Black Isle writer for Baldur's Gate/current Obsidian employee/creative lead for Pillars of Eternity, appears to endorse it.

Also based on the screenshots, it looks like they might be taking advantage of the age of the IE engine and greater computer processing power to produce bigger battles.  That would be nice, if it were the case.

Faust

I just finished Metal Gear V (for real this time as opposed to the first two fake outs) and it was a complete headfuck, as metal gear dramatic twists go its actually pretty downplayed, still not sure what to make of it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Freeky

Windows 10 put Candy Crush Saga on my computer, so I played it because I had nothing better to do at the time.

I wanted to kill everyone ever in the whole world, starting with myself, who ever thought playing the game woud be a good ideea.  I felt this for every single second I played this fucktarded abortion of wasted programming space, which was about half an hour.

Gid dammit I hate Candy Crush SAga.

LMNO

Freeky

It'd be easier if there were other games on this POS.  Hm. 

TO THE INTARWEBS

Freeky

Great success!  DOSBox, Civilization, and Bust a Move are installed!  Now I shall go find Oregon Trail Deluxe and be good for a couple weeks.

Don Coyote

Mech Commander Gold and Mech Commander 2 might work on your box. They work on my trash laptop that has suffered a deployment.
http://mechcommander.co.uk/index/

Cain

Quote from: Faust on September 29, 2015, 06:50:47 PM
I just finished Metal Gear V (for real this time as opposed to the first two fake outs) and it was a complete headfuck, as metal gear dramatic twists go its actually pretty downplayed, still not sure what to make of it.

Is that the Phantom Snake/Big Boss thing, or something else?

Faust

Thats the one, Hardened afgan/angola military game which occasionally shits all over itself with anime giant robots and objectification of women.

Funnily enough, very few of the characters have any kind of development arc or resolution, except for the sex appeal and the main character. Her ending is good and depressing, his ending is a little unbelievable but good and depressing. Decent and overly addictive gameplay.
Really enjoyed it which was unexpected because the metal gear games can be really hit and miss.

PopeTom

-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Cain

Despite the yoga pants/bath towel sections, I have to say, if you're a fan of horror, that Until Dawn is pretty good. 

I really can't say too much without spoiling the plot, but it's very story driven, multiple branching choices, QTEs for action.  But the story...it's a pretty good story, more than good enough to make up for the uninspired gameplay aspects.  Maybe pushing credibility in a couple of places, but taken in all together...yeah, I approve.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2015, 07:29:30 PM
Despite the yoga pants/bath towel sections, I have to say, if you're a fan of horror, that Until Dawn is pretty good. 

I really can't say too much without spoiling the plot, but it's very story driven, multiple branching choices, QTEs for action.  But the story...it's a pretty good story, more than good enough to make up for the uninspired gameplay aspects.  Maybe pushing credibility in a couple of places, but taken in all together...yeah, I approve.

I've been watching a playthrough, I'm actually quite impressed with it. Might be enough to make me spend money (as opposed to spending my money on used copies of Silent Hill 2 & 3, because I'm on a weird Silent Hill kick and the HD Collection is shit on a stick)

Faust

Those remakes were a goddamn mess. My old ps2 silent hill 2 copy still gets a play through once every year or so. Its still one of my favourite games of all time.