News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Bears in Requiem do have a warning distance (they had one in vanilla too, but it was never properly implemented).  So long as you don't threaten it by drawing a weapon or moving closer in its threat zone, it should just stroll on by.

Sabre cats, now...that's a different story.  They will be actively stalking you through all that grass.  They have a delightful knockdown attack, btw.

Pæs

Quote from: Cain on March 06, 2016, 01:54:28 PM
Bears in Requiem do have a warning distance (they had one in vanilla too, but it was never properly implemented).  So long as you don't threaten it by drawing a weapon or moving closer in its threat zone, it should just stroll on by.

Sabre cats, now...that's a different story.  They will be actively stalking you through all that grass.  They have a delightful knockdown attack, btw.

Funny story: just before quitting I turned away from that bear and there was a dead Sabre Cat behind me. Following Faldrus from Rorikstead to Whiterun paid off as a survival strategy.

Cain

My spellblade in my Requiem videos keeps following Thalmor and Imperial patrols around the place.  It's a viable strategy.  In fact, check out a mod called "Immersive Patrols", it can lead to some interesting situations (Whiterun guard patrol at Valtheim Towers).

I'm currently grinding smithing in Requiem, which is a hell of a chore.  At least until I could smith jewellry.  Now it's amazing.  I pay for smithing training from Balimund to make jewellry.  I sell the jewellry to a shopkeeper.  I steal everything in the shopkeeper's stock chest at 3am (100 lockpicking), including all his money and my jewels.  I sell it all to Tonilia.  I pay for smithing training...By the time I've rotated around Skyrim, the original merchant's inventory and gold has respawned.

All I need is to locate the ebony smithing book, get my enchanting up to 50 and I shall have ABSOLUTE POWER.  And by absolute power, I mean a daedric crossbow with explosive enchants.  Once I have that, I think my illusionist/archer/assassin can take on the main quest and Dawnguard.

Vanadium Gryllz

I've been playing some No Man's Sky since it launched. I've got probably 15-20 hours logged now.

For all the complaining people online are doing about it (nothing new there) I am having a blast. It's definitely not something to play if you're looking for nonstop action, meaty plot or a high skill-ceiling.

If you want to just chill and zoom around a universe, exploring planets and making up your own journey then it's pretty good. There is a form of levelling system in the game but it's kind of disguised as 'milestones'.

I will admit that the creatures and planets do end up looking kind of same-y a lot of the time but I guess with 'infinite' possibilities the reality is that you end up somewhere in the centre of the distribution most of the time. I've found enough cool-looking things so far to give me hope that there are more out there to find.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Ziegejunge

I am also enjoying the heck out of No Man's Sky. It's a super-mellow experience.

In the unlikely event you ever find the Robert Anton Wilson star system, look for planet Prometheus Rising. The sentinels there are unaggressive, and there are loads of minerals -- huge, abundant pillars of them -- just waiting to be mined.

Good times.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Rust is getting slightly more fun as I figure it out. Still not sure if it's for me, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 15, 2016, 11:46:43 PM
Rust is getting slightly more fun as I figure it out. Still not sure if it's for me, though.

Have you tried 'the Stanley parable' (it may be called something similar)

In an unrelated note, cities skylines is about the best simcity type game I've ever encountered. Strongly recommended.

Hoping for a firm date for mount and blade bannerlord soon. The siege mechanics look hilarious and the modding community is pretty solid. High expectations, and even if not met will be remedied by the community in short order.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 15, 2016, 11:56:15 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 15, 2016, 11:46:43 PM

Have you tried 'the Stanley parable' (it may be called something similar)

In an unrelated note, cities skylines is about the best simcity type game I've ever encountered. Strongly recommended.

Hoping for a firm date for mount and blade bannerlord soon. The siege mechanics look hilarious and the modding community is pretty solid. High expectations, and even if not met will be remedied by the community in short order.

This looks very interesting!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

I'm not sure if it got a release, but the "Museum of Simulation Technology" may be of interest to you. Puzzle game based around perspective.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 17, 2016, 01:00:47 AM
I'm not sure if it got a release, but the "Museum of Simulation Technology" may be of interest to you. Puzzle game based around perspective.

I will definitely check this out. Thanks!

Cain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKPzsH4lZjM

I wasn't sure about giving Corvo a voice, but I have to say that Stephen Russell (Garett, Mercer Frey in Skyrim) is an inspired choice.

Faust

Yeah, he's a good choice, I do find it weird going from silent protagonist to that. It is by far an improvement, Daud with Michael Maddson was a far more interesting character in the original.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

From the sounds of it, it's a combination of the positive reception Daud got, as well as having a choice of two different characters for the main game and wanting them to reflect differently on the events as they occur.  So Emily doesn't just have different powers to Corvo, she also has different opinions and commentary on things.  Increasing replay value is always good.

Edit: apparently it was always planned for Corvo to be voiced in the original, but they left it until far too late in development to do it.  Don't know about that...sounds like bad planning.

"Low chaos" is the canon ending for the game and the DLCs, right?  They've not said much about Daud at all, but I figure if Delilah is back, Daud has to figure into this somewhere.  Probably as DLC again, is my guess, though it would've been nice to have him as a main character option.

Cainad (dec.)

Probably a DLC for Daud, if anything at all. Regardless, I am hyped for Dishonored 2. Not many games fill the same niche for me.

Cain

Bethesda released their Creative Kills video for Dishonored 2 the other day as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBJom2VZis

Emily's Domino skill is so damn dirty.  When I saw the E3 gameplay demo, I have to say the potential of that power was pretty exciting to me.  Seems like there's almost no limit to the kind of status effects you can link onto people, push, stun grenades and kills with blades all seem to work just as well.

It appears they've also revamped non-lethal to make it a bit easier and more viable.  The talent trees will apparently have nonlethal options built into them.