News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Tonight, I think, I will purchase animu waifu trash vidya game NieR: Automata.

Normally I would keep a nice broad decontamination zone between me and a game of that type, but I played the demo and it is a slick, shiny, and smooth (hur hur hur) crazy action game with a billion combat mechanics and a fun boss battle. Plus you can do weird stuff like removing your health bar or mini-map from the screen to free up "processor space" (because the player character is a robot) and apply upgrades.

Cain

This is how it starts.  This time next month you'll be deep into a Boku no Pico marathon session while ordering waifu pillow slips from eBay, with no end in sight.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on March 07, 2017, 07:43:24 PM
This is how it starts.  This time next month you'll be deep into a Boku no Pico marathon session while ordering waifu pillow slips from eBay, with no end in sight.

There are times when my lack of jargon understanding feel like I'm dodging a bullet. This is one.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Eater of Clowns

I just read five pages of mods, dork souls, and isos so I came in to say I'm playing Stardew Valley, and I just bought two ducks, and my eggplants are growing well, which is nice. :)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cainad (dec.)

I've immunized myself by applying steady doses of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Cain

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on March 07, 2017, 10:57:27 PM

Nani the fuck did you just fucking iimasu about watashi, you chiisai bitch desuka? Watashi'll have anata know that watashi graduated top of my class in Nihongo 3, and watashi've been involved in iroirona Nihongo tutoring sessions, and watashi have over sanbyaku perfect test scores. Watashi am trained in kanji, and watashi is the top letter writer in all of southern California. Anata are nothing to watashi but just another weaboo. Watashi will korosu anata the fuck out with vocabulary the likes of which has never been mimasu'd before on this continent, mark watashino fucking words. Anata thinks anata can get away with hanashimasing that kuso to watashi over the intaaneto? Omou again, fucker. As we hanashimasu, watashi am contacting watashino secret netto of otakus across the USA, and anatano IP is being traced right now so you better junbishimasu for the ame, ujimushi. The ame that korosu's the pathetic chiisai thing anata calls anatano life. You're fucking shinimashita'd, akachan.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on March 13, 2017, 01:17:34 AM
Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on March 07, 2017, 10:57:27 PM

Nani the fuck did you just fucking iimasu about watashi, you chiisai bitch desuka? Watashi'll have anata know that watashi graduated top of my class in Nihongo 3, and watashi've been involved in iroirona Nihongo tutoring sessions, and watashi have over sanbyaku perfect test scores. Watashi am trained in kanji, and watashi is the top letter writer in all of southern California. Anata are nothing to watashi but just another weaboo. Watashi will korosu anata the fuck out with vocabulary the likes of which has never been mimasu'd before on this continent, mark watashino fucking words. Anata thinks anata can get away with hanashimasing that kuso to watashi over the intaaneto? Omou again, fucker. As we hanashimasu, watashi am contacting watashino secret netto of otakus across the USA, and anatano IP is being traced right now so you better junbishimasu for the ame, ujimushi. The ame that korosu's the pathetic chiisai thing anata calls anatano life. You're fucking shinimashita'd, akachan.

I thought I was having a stroke. Then I realized the truth was so much worse.

Cain

Just saw the Mass Effect: Andromeda multiplayer trailer.  Looks promising.  As I'm sure you all know, I played the shit out of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer (over 2000 hours), and while it was simple, in comparison to say Battlefield or CoD, it had a certain amount of variety in weapons and characters that made it very replayable.  It looks like they've applied the same formula to Andromeda.  4 player co-op, shared XP, 10 waves of increasingly difficult battles against enemies, extra objectives on certain waves.  Also 25 characters, 5 maps and all the base weapons on launch (which appear to be the majority of weapons in Mass Effect 3...so possibly 40+ guns).

Once I get my hands on the demo tomorrow, I'll play the shit out of the MP and give further impressions.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on March 15, 2017, 02:03:24 AM
Just saw the Mass Effect: Andromeda multiplayer trailer.  Looks promising.  As I'm sure you all know, I played the shit out of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer (over 2000 hours), and while it was simple, in comparison to say Battlefield or CoD, it had a certain amount of variety in weapons and characters that made it very replayable.  It looks like they've applied the same formula to Andromeda.  4 player co-op, shared XP, 10 waves of increasingly difficult battles against enemies, extra objectives on certain waves.  Also 25 characters, 5 maps and all the base weapons on launch (which appear to be the majority of weapons in Mass Effect 3...so possibly 40+ guns).

Once I get my hands on the demo tomorrow, I'll play the shit out of the MP and give further impressions.

I was at PAX East on Saturday and my friends wanted to check out the Mass Effect stuff.

I just told them no. Are any of us really going to not buy Mass Effect? We're all buying Mass Effect. It doesn't matter if we look at it or play it beforehand or get a Mass Effect pin:  we're all going to buy Mass Effect. Let's spend some time on these indies that we won't hear about otherwise.

Anyway we checked out Mass Effect.

Also ICEY looks pretty cool.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on March 15, 2017, 02:03:24 AM

Generally, I avoid multiplayer games in a big way. I take no joy from battling Internet strangers.

Me3 was different... just the fact that you were cooperating with random internet strangers instead of blowing them up.. it was a whole different culture. Really smart design.

Junkenstein

In that case you may enjoy natural selection 2.

Started as a janky half life mod, now it's something quite special by fps standards. Very good mechanics for encouraging cooperation/communication.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on March 15, 2017, 12:55:02 PM
Me3 was different... just the fact that you were cooperating with random internet strangers instead of blowing them up.. it was a whole different culture. Really smart design.

Well, up until they introduced Collectors and Hazard Reactor anyway. Then it became a game of "blow up the possessed abomination on team mates" and "lock team mates in the reactor". 

But yeah, the community is actually super chill for the most part and the competition is pretty friendly in nature. 

Cain

So I've played the first two hours of the Andromeda singleplayer demo campaign.  So far, so good.  It seems to run well on my PC with a steady 60 FPS (GTX 1060, 16 gig ram, 4.2 mhz intel i7 processor), and while the movements seem just a little sluggish, the keyboard and mouse controls seem fairly decent so far (remains to be seen how well that continues once profiles are available).

Graphically it's definitely pretty to look at, slightly better than Dragon Age Inquisition, though the lip-syncing is questionable in places. 

Combat appears to be fun, despite my currently limited options.  I can definitely see playing a vanguard working - using the jetpack to launch yourself into the air, shooting a few enemies to soften them up and reduce the fall speed, then rushing in with a biotic charge and finishing them up.  Currently playing on hardcore, have died a few times but that could be from being on the nightshift.

Very disappointed to see that my plans to play as an infiltrator have been nerfed by the requirement for 9 skill points in the tech tree before I can take tactical cloak.  Very sad.  Plans on being a space ninja, using tac-cloak and melee, have been put on hold.  M-8 Avenger is as useless as it always was.  M-3 Predator continues in its role of being slightly less useless than the Avenger, but only when you court carpal tunnel syndrome by spamming it.  Power tracking over/around cover appears to have been toned down as well, but requires more testing. 

Can't really speak to the plot so far, as not much has happened on that front.  Our candidate for a new home sucks, and is overrun by hostile aliens and even more hostile wildlife and even more hostile weather.  We crashed due to the last one, so we're currently bumming around the surface, looking for lost supplies and team mates.  Voice acting is as good as you'd expect, though.

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on March 16, 2017, 02:13:37 PM

:lulz:

He would be so much less insufferable if his tweets were about gaming.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."