News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

You should see the Baldur's Gate forum on Reddit freaking out about this.

I'm reserving judgement - some of it could just be the artistic differences, which I will get over. Other stuff, including turn-based only action and some weirdly stilted dialogue, give me more pause. But it's pre-alpha footage at this moment, and so by definition not worth freaking out about.

On the other hand, I am hyped for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous after their gameplay demo. Of course it hews closely to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but damn, it looks and feels like you are in an actual war.

Of course, combat was one of the stronger points of the previous game, the real question will be how army/crusade management is.

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on March 02, 2020, 05:46:46 PM
You should see the Baldur's Gate forum on Reddit freaking out about this.

Reddit freaking out because the game doesn't work like the game they came up with in a dream? impossible, they never do that

:rpger:

QuoteI'm reserving judgement - some of it could just be the artistic differences, which I will get over. Other stuff, including turn-based only action and some weirdly stilted dialogue, give me more pause. But it's pre-alpha footage at this moment, and so by definition not worth freaking out about.

Yeah some of the stuff I saw has a very alpha feel to it.

I'm OK with turn based combat, because, you know, that's how you play D&D.. to me, the important thing is that it feels like you're playing with the D&D rules. A lot of games fuck up their strategy by trying to make it both a strategy game and an action game. (I'm looking at you, dragon age 2)

like one of the incredibly arcane and minute things that bugged me is that there was a conversation option where the character can offer to pick the lock for an NPC... and the dialog indicated that you have that option because your class = rogue --- not because you are proficient with thieves tools. Like, in D&D, a warlock might be able to pick locks.

or -- at some point, the player had already used his action, so for comedic effect, he used a bonus action to throw his shoes at a monster--and it killed it. Uhh.... I guess technically in D&D, you could throw shoes as an "improvised weapon", but that's an action, not a bonus action.  Just think of the power!!!

:magick:

I was amused to see a vid where a Larian fan was upset because BG3 allows moving in turns outside of combat.

Cain

The Baldur's Gate subreddit is usually pretty chill, lately it's just been a clusterfuck.

Yeah, it definitely makes sense to have turn-based combat, though my preference would be for it to be optional. Given how old the previous two games are, they do a pretty good job of hiding the turn-based combat under the hood and making it feel more like real time with pause.

Ironically, I think Pathfinder Kingmaker works better with the turn-based combat mod, and I was happy to hear they're integrating an optional mode for that into Wrath of the Righteous. Kingmaker may have been a complete mess when it came out, but credit to Owlcat where it is due: they worked hard to squelch the bugs, which can't have been easy for such a complex game, and they really listened to feedback and communicated on these issues. If Bethesda worked, like, 25% as hard as the Owlcat guys do, Skyrim might be bug free by now.

altered

Skyrim uses fucking Gamebryo. It would be bug free precisely never, ever, ever. It's in its blood. It is the bugs. Remove the bugs and you know what you get???

You get Witchaven, that's what.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Larian just confirmed the current BG3 footage is still using a lot of DOS2 assets and in no way is meant to be the final product, which they say will be both "more realistic and darker". Which I'm happy to hear. I would have gotten over the artistic style, I'm sure, but it was a little jarring, I won't lie.

Cain

Sometimes, the ESO social media team are alright

Cain

So, if you're bored and looking for something to watch, I managed to complete the Greymoor prologue quest today, before the EU server went to shit.

If you want to see it, I've uploaded it here. Unfortunately there won't be much follow-up until May 18th, when the chapter is officially released.

Cramulus

If you like puzzles, adventure games, and science fiction, definitely check out The Outer Wilds.    (not to be confused with the Outer Worlds)

I don't want to spoil anything, but the 1000 foot view is that you're an explorer with a space ship, and you're stuck in a ~20 minute time loop. The sun goes supernova and destroys the universe, then you wake up at the same moment when the game began. There's no equipment or combat, just exploration. But still a fair amount of platforming, navigating, pulling off tough landing maneuvers, other gamey challenging stuff.

What I like best about it is that you kinda have to use your science brain. At times, you will ask yourself "what is this" and "what am I looking at?" -- and you need to figure it out through observation. And some of the concepts are very wild -- like, some things appear to be planets at a distance, but when you get closer, it's not at all what you expected. Good science fiction.

Al Qədic

Ooo, I'm aware of that game's existence! I actually know about it cause of a lil video about it that's actually also pretty fitting for the strange times we find ourselves in.

You Can't Save The Galaxy In A Day
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

chaotic neutral observer

The Foundation DLC for Control was okay.  I wasn't terribly impressed with the main questline, but the sidequests "Swift Platform" and "Found Footage" were worth the price of admission.

Somehow, "Found Footage" was simultaneously nerve-wracking and relaxing.  "Swift Platform"... well... if you play it, you'll know.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

Still waiting on August for a main release on PC.

altered

I like where they're going with the history of the Bureau, but it feels like they're setting up a plot line that AWE absolutely can not finish satisfactorily.

Obviously not everything needs clear answers in Control, but the nature of a few massive plot elements was already emphasized as plot crucial in the main game, then that same list was emphasized again in Foundation and a new one added to the list.

Then, AWE is going to be Alan Wake centered most likely. Even if it isn't, it would need to dwarf Foundation and get into the same size range as the main game to conclude the setup they have.

If the secret Remedy project isn't Control 2, this plot line is going to end badly or be left open. Period. I'm a bit disappointed by that.

But yeah, the side quests were awesome. The Camera and TV were both excellent, but Gibbs (who you didn't mention!) will haunt my dreams forever because in my game it just VANISHED. Into the ether. Never beat it. I kept on expecting it to pull a Tommasi while I was going through the rest of the DLC.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Odibex Grallspice

I've started playing Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core 'cause I figured out I could emulate it. FF VII was the first RPG I played, and the ads are what got me back into gaming. it'll always be the best becasue it was my first exposure to all the tropes and mechanics, plus it was petty decent otherwise. this kinda feels like busywork, but I think that's what JRPGs are to a large extent. I burnt out on 'em a number of years ago, but there's some crossover between what's a JRPG and what's an "action" JRPG. at any rate it's going to be even more time before I get around to the PS4. I'm sure the 5 will've been released. I like to save money and don't even care what fidelity an album I DL's is in. I mean I don't really care..

Cainad (dec.)

So I have basically been out-of-my-mind obsessed with the Pathologic series by Ice-Pick Lodge. I picked up the original game on Steam for like $1.29, about a month before HBomerguy's video came out.

Imagine my feelings when I got SUPER hooked on the much-improved sequel, Pathologic 2, in the glorious year 2020. :lulz:

The games are very Russian, and center around twelve disastrous days in a village in the remote Steppe (easily understood as Russian though not explicitly stated, and the time period is likewise vague). There are three healers, a Bachelor of Medicine, a Haruspex, and a strange faith-healer girl, who all arrive on the first day in one way or another. Things are tense from the word go, as two prominent members of the community have died grisly, mysterious deaths. By Day 2, the disease is spreading.

In Pathologic 1, you could pick any of the three healers and experience the twelve days from their perspective. In Pathologic 2, they only were able to complete the Haruspex's campaign, but it's incredibly improved as a game overall.

Loss, failure, the relentless and cruel march of time, senseless and unavoidable death, avoidable deaths that are your fault, and the inability of your mortal body to keep up with the demands of the crisis (hunger, exhaustion, and infection will likely catch you before anyone else does). Rampant death and misery, and eventually a suggestion that perhaps you never had any real choices at all, despite all you've done, good or bad. Fun!

So yeah these games rule, 10/10 on the videosgame scale.

Freeky

i went on a pokemon go bender for two months, culminating in me going outside in the middle of the day for two hours this past friday and getting heat stroke. now i'm just playing pokemon mystery dungeon blue ROM for the 80th time. pokemon is great, and you can fight me if you like but it won't change anything.

also i'm high-key mad i don't have a pc capable of playing ESO now, because all the khajiit lore was really exciting to read.