News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

The Biology Thread

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, November 23, 2013, 03:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 10:03:59 PM

I like teh style, especially the anthropomorphizing.

Actually my professor does it a bit too. He says this guy and these guys here, and what is this guy doing

Mine does this rad, crazy interpretive dance. It's amazing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hahaha I see that you put the chapters in the first post. I immediately forgot about it. That's the same chapter order, never mind!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh BTW if your exam is at all similar to mine, you'll want to memorize which cell structures are unique to animal or plant cells, which are shared, and which are not present in prokaryotic cells. Just about everyone in the class got dinged on that. We didn't spend much time on prokaryotic cells and kind of skimmed over the differences between plant and animal cells.

hirley0

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 24, 2013, 12:28:23 AM
Oh BTW if your exam is at all similar to mine, you'll want to memorize which cell structures are unique to animal or plant cells, which are shared, and which are not present in prokaryotic cells. Just about everyone in the class got dinged on that. We didn't spend much time on prokaryotic cells and kind of skimmed over the differences between plant and animal cells.
1st .ed & bio.w 1's / 4:45:55 pm
2nd 9:35 - Calvin cycles. v cosmic ray impulses - 
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/conn.river/calvin.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-independent_reactions
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/biology/calvin.html
http://www.kelvincycles.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray
http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/cosmic.html
http://www.srl.caltech.edu/personnel/dick/cos_encyc.html
9:50 pm pSt dT=<15 delay to post

hirley0

Quote from: hirley0 on November 24, 2013, 12:44:05 AM
Oh BTW if y
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-independent_reactions
Y not lime green {#32CD32
THIRTY TWO CD'S of 32's
Makes me want to giggle /  /\/ow this | tbc v
http://translate.google.com/#en/vi/
T"  BA MƯƠI HAI CD'S của 32  "T 4:15
so sure i do wonder / Just how long / the cosmic }
MACRO quest // will delay the Micro Tails
There sure aRe a lot of fillers & Trailers || cycle of 15's || no e in .vi {hmm:

minuspace

Regret:  I was reading the story and it primed the biology pump of understanding in my noodle.  There were two related points I wanted to remember.  When you guys say "apolar", is that the same as "dipole"?  Like polar has the strong electron scavenging bond, while the dipole bond is more the clumpy kind based on the "moments" gathered by molecular arrangement and the resultant bias of fields?  My confusion seems to stem from the characterization of lipids as being (also) polar.  Their function as cell membranes is more complicated than just the parts themselves would have lead me to believe.

hirley0

Quote from: LuciferX on November 24, 2013, 06:09:49 PM
Regret:  I was reading the story and it primed the biology pump of understanding in my noodle.  There were two related points I wanted to remember.  When you guys say "apolar", is that the same as "dipole"?  Like polar has the strong electron scavenging bond, while the dipole bond is more the clumpy kind based on the "moments" gathered by molecular arrangement and the resultant bias of fields?  My confusion seems to stem from the characterization of lipids as being (also) polar.  Their function as cell membranes is more complicated than just the parts themselves would have lead me to believe.
Quote from: :regret: on November 23, 2013, 04:03:45 PM
Membrain's.

they are totally unaware of being rejected.
they prefer their own k
nothing better

A bubble is born.
As long as molecules
'These are not lipids!' she exclaimed,
  This, she could use. With a bit of poking
     'I shall name them proteins! As prometheus ga

N.B. Is this sort of thing desired here?

don't agree with the "ejected." Line
other than this? pretty much agree with 'ER & hym2

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 24, 2013, 12:18:46 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 10:01:47 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 23, 2013, 05:37:48 PM
Twid, does your book come with the online stuff and the videos? I find them pretty helpful. I am getting the impression that your book has a different chapter layout than mine.

Yeah, there's a web component to the class. Our homework assignments are up there as are quizzes. It's possible that the layout is a different.  We're expected to understand the chemistry involved, but it's not expected that we;ve taken chemistry. The basic chemistry behind it gets covered in class. It can be a bit daunting at times though.

It sounds like they did photosynthesis before cell membranes, which made me wonder whether the chapters are in a different order; for us, membranes were chapter 7 and photosynthesis is chapter 10.

They wouldn't let me take the class until I took chemistry. Like, at all. I asked.

We don't use the web component too much, but I do kind of find the cheesy videos helpful, especially when I follow them up with the Crash Course videos.

Oh no, we did cell membranes already too. The numbering is the same for us. We're on chapter 10.

I kinda like that the homework is a web component, because it will tell me I'm wrong immediately and give me a couple of more chances to get it right. Often it's because I for some reason refused to watch one of the animations, or I didn't read the question or answers carefully enough.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Oh god, I hope so. Those ones are already pretty obvious to me. The parts that I'm getting screwed up on are the individual steps on cellular respiration and photosynthesis, and what chemicals they produce. It's easy to say that cellular respiration is breaking down glucose with oxygen to create energy, heat, water and carbon dioxide and photosynthesis is light, carbon dioxide and water interacting to create glucose and oxygen. It's not so easy to describe the 20 some odd steps in between beginning and end.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 02:44:21 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 24, 2013, 12:18:46 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 10:01:47 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 23, 2013, 05:37:48 PM
Twid, does your book come with the online stuff and the videos? I find them pretty helpful. I am getting the impression that your book has a different chapter layout than mine.

Yeah, there's a web component to the class. Our homework assignments are up there as are quizzes. It's possible that the layout is a different.  We're expected to understand the chemistry involved, but it's not expected that we;ve taken chemistry. The basic chemistry behind it gets covered in class. It can be a bit daunting at times though.

It sounds like they did photosynthesis before cell membranes, which made me wonder whether the chapters are in a different order; for us, membranes were chapter 7 and photosynthesis is chapter 10.

They wouldn't let me take the class until I took chemistry. Like, at all. I asked.

We don't use the web component too much, but I do kind of find the cheesy videos helpful, especially when I follow them up with the Crash Course videos.

Oh no, we did cell membranes already too. The numbering is the same for us. We're on chapter 10.

I kinda like that the homework is a web component, because it will tell me I'm wrong immediately and give me a couple of more chances to get it right. Often it's because I for some reason refused to watch one of the animations, or I didn't read the question or answers carefully enough.

We are not using the online homework at all, and I wish we were. I can go in and look at shit but we don't have assignments.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 02:47:52 AM

Oh god, I hope so. Those ones are already pretty obvious to me. The parts that I'm getting screwed up on are the individual steps on cellular respiration and photosynthesis, and what chemicals they produce. It's easy to say that cellular respiration is breaking down glucose with oxygen to create energy, heat, water and carbon dioxide and photosynthesis is light, carbon dioxide and water interacting to create glucose and oxygen. It's not so easy to describe the 20 some odd steps in between beginning and end.

Well, if yours is anything like mine... unfortunately there's no real way of knowing how similar they'll be... all you'll really have to be able to do is answer specific questions about the steps, not reproduce them from memory. Basically, what we had boiled down to being able to read a diagram and recognize reduction and the other various steps in the process, like where inorganic phosphates are used and where ATP is used.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 25, 2013, 05:09:00 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 02:47:52 AM

Well, if yours is anything like mine... unfortunately there's no real way of knowing how similar they'll be... all you'll really have to be able to do is answer specific questions about the steps, not reproduce them from memory. Basically, what we had boiled down to being able to read a diagram and recognize reduction and the other various steps in the process, like where inorganic phosphates are used and where ATP is used.

Ok. So.

We have PS II, which are light reactions, and we have PS I which are light independent reaction.

Ugh. Ok.

Light reactions create NADP+ (I'm wrong, aren't I?) and... no, it's NADPH because it's an anabolic process and.... shit.

Nephew Twiddleton

It goes light reactions, and then Calvin cycle. That much I have, much in the same way that with cellular respiration it goes glycolysis>pyruvate>acetyl CoA>citric acid cycle>oxidative phosphorylation, which yields approximately 32 or 34 ATP.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 05:22:13 AM
It goes light reactions, and then Calvin cycle. That much I have, much in the same way that with cellular respiration it goes glycolysis>pyruvate>acetyl CoA>citric acid cycle>oxidative phosphorylation, which yields approximately 32 or 34 ATP.

The number is dependent on whether a side reaction gives an NADH or an FADH2. NADH can provide 3 electrons, and FADH2 provides 2, and is a less efficient electron carrier.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LuciferX on November 24, 2013, 06:09:49 PM
apolar has no poles, it is electrically and magnetically inert. Throw it in a strong magnetic field and it is like, whatever man. I got my own thing going here. Think of plastics, oil, glass. lipids seem weird because they have an apolar bit and a polar bit, the polar bit can be dipolar or tripolar or some other configuration. The reason they can exist like this is because they are quite a lot bigger than regular polar molecules.
Imagine a stick with a knob on its end. the stick is apolar and the knob is polar, so if you get thousands of these sticks the knobs will interact with eachother. parts of each knob will reject the same parts on the surrounding knobs, but will attract the other parts (with the other polarity) of the knobs. like magnets they will fit together. The apolar sticks don't really care either way, but if two knobby bits are trying to get together then the sticks will just passively be pushed aside.eventually this will result in all the sticks being stuck together, roughly parallel to each other so the knobs can hug as much as they want.

I hope i have made it a bit more clear.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"