News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

We are <not> special

Started by Mistre, November 26, 2013, 08:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: popeluvicasksc on November 26, 2013, 06:21:13 PM
Quote from: Mistre on November 26, 2013, 06:11:59 PM
Any advice on interior designing and trying to exit the "BIP"?

Consult your pineal gland.

That's new and original! 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Over at the now defunct BIP site, there was a bit called "Architecture".  Anyone have a link or copy?

Auscultare of the Fatigue

Interesting take on things.

Put all of humanity, everything we've done, all of crowning achievements and abysmal failures. Accomplishments the entire world celebrates: Landing on the moon, the creation of the microprocessor ..

Statistically speaking we are worthless as a species. Given the number of galaxies in the universe of which we can only see 0.1%? of it is a safe to assert that there are billions of planets with intelligent life. I agree with the fact that humanity is caught up in it's own vanity to realize how worthless we truly are.

hooplala

Quote from: Auscultare of the Fatigue on November 26, 2013, 10:55:11 PM

Put all of humanity, everything we've done, all of crowning achievements and abysmal failures. Accomplishments the entire world celebrates: Landing on the moon, the creation of the microprocessor ..

Statistically speaking we are worthless as a species. Given the number of galaxies in the universe of which we can only see 0.1%? of it is a safe to assert that there are billions of planets with intelligent life. I agree with the fact that humanity is caught up in it's own vanity to realize how worthless we truly are.

Safe?  Please consult the Fermi paradox.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 26, 2013, 10:56:56 PM

Safe?  Please consult the Fermi paradox.

Two of the scariest things about this line of thinking is trying to admit to our intermittent fear as a race that something out there could just be watching us. Simply observing us, with the power to put our entire existence to an end with a snap of their finger (metaphorically). It could very well be that because humanity is so young that no 'advanced' intelligent life forms find us a threat, or even worth a second look. For them, it'd be the equivalent of king of the retards.

Conquering something that is easy to conquer lacks the feeling of achievement that intelligent beings strive for (I say this under the premise that other lifeforms also strive for achievement, because if they didn't, what would be the chances they'd have developed advanced enough technology to achieve intergalactic space travel, but I digress).

My main problem with Fermi paradox (from what I have read thus far) is that it doesn't take into account 'emotion'. Google defines "arrogant" as:

Quotehaving or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Let's say that intelligent life exist. There is no doubt about it. Who says they are more immune from being arrogant or even vain?

hooplala

I think most people don't put much stock in the idea that aliens may already be here, undetected by us... which, if they were, would likely be the case. 

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Not here, specifically, they just exist within our timeline.

hooplala

Quote from: Auscultare of the Fatigue on November 26, 2013, 11:24:51 PM

You seem to know a lot about aliens.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 26, 2013, 11:35:47 PM

You seem to know a lot about the lack of aliens (??).

hooplala

Quote from: Auscultare of the Fatigue on November 26, 2013, 11:39:54 PM

Where did I say that?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 26, 2013, 11:46:50 PM
Quote from: Auscultare of the Fatigue on November 26, 2013, 11:39:54 PM

Where did I say that?

I thought we were just typing statements.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Balls.  Balls and rot.  *I* am not worthless.  I am one sexy bitch, and the universe has acknowledged that fact by being JEALOUS and therefore IGNORING MY EXCEPTIONALISM and allowing me to GROW OLD just like EVERYONE ELSE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.