News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

I Am A Nihilist

Started by hooplala, November 27, 2013, 04:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 29, 2013, 01:53:43 PM
Quote from: Payne on November 29, 2013, 08:48:53 AM
Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 28, 2013, 03:44:53 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 28, 2013, 01:30:10 AM
Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 28, 2013, 12:09:34 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 27, 2013, 11:57:23 PM
permission to reuse in things?

Mine, or what Nigel is saying?  If mine: fo sho.

Yours. What attribution, if any?

Says Rex in the text, so... let's go with Hoopla.   :lulz:

Here is as good a place as any to tell you that I have recently been replacing Hopeless and Hapless with Hoopless in my conversations (I use these words a lot, I work with truck drivers) in homage to you.

When questioned on it, I look shifty and tell the questioner I cannot tell them about it as Salazorians have ears all over.

It's been fun.

You just made my day.

Wait, no, my year.

Thought you'd like it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I know I'm splitting hairs with this response, but I'm fairly sure what you're describing Rex is just plain old existentialism.  "Existence has no intrinsic meaning" and all that.

I mean, metaphysical, epistemological and moral nihilism are pretty damn extreme positions.  Nietzsche was approaching metaphysical and epistemological nihilism in his last years of writing, of the sort which says while there may be an objective world, we cannot know anything about it, as all our observations are open to interpretation.  And, of course, Nietzsche viewed nihilism as something to be overcome (then again, he viewed everything as something to be overcome).

And almost no-one, except certain closeted academics, have affirmed moral nihilism as a position, for it literally states that there are no such thing as ethics, and all acts are beyond moral judgement.

The key word is, of course, intrinsic.  It seems to me that nihilists would argue that since there is no instrinsic meaning, there is therefore no meaning at all (and contrary assertions are delusions), whereas an existentialist would argue that since there is no intrinsic meaning, one can either seek for one in trying to understand the ineffable (whether that is God, or the Absurd), or else, in the more atheistic variations of existentialism, forge one's own meanings, based on subjective experience and knowledge.

LMNO

Cain comes through once again.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on November 30, 2013, 03:20:52 PM
I know I'm splitting hairs with this response, but I'm fairly sure what you're describing Rex is just plain old existentialism.  "Existence has no intrinsic meaning" and all that.

I mean, metaphysical, epistemological and moral nihilism are pretty damn extreme positions.  Nietzsche was approaching metaphysical and epistemological nihilism in his last years of writing, of the sort which says while there may be an objective world, we cannot know anything about it, as all our observations are open to interpretation.  And, of course, Nietzsche viewed nihilism as something to be overcome (then again, he viewed everything as something to be overcome).

And almost no-one, except certain closeted academics, have affirmed moral nihilism as a position, for it literally states that there are no such thing as ethics, and all acts are beyond moral judgement.

The key word is, of course, intrinsic.  It seems to me that nihilists would argue that since there is no instrinsic meaning, there is therefore no meaning at all (and contrary assertions are delusions), whereas an existentialist would argue that since there is no intrinsic meaning, one can either seek for one in trying to understand the ineffable (whether that is God, or the Absurd), or else, in the more atheistic variations of existentialism, forge one's own meanings, based on subjective experience and knowledge.

I don't think you're splitting hairs at all, you make an excellent point.  I certainly don't deny meaning in any sense. I hadn't considered that.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

That's what I'm here for, philosophical precision and, uh, pictures of cats.

I'm kinda surprised you hadn't looked so much at Existentialism though.  I thought I remembered you being interested in it...though I would totally understand being put off by Sartre's long exercise in obsfucation, aka Being and Nothingness.  Kierkegaard and Camus are far more accessible, and amusing in the case of the former.

Aucoq

That's great stuff, Rex!  I really enjoyed reading it (and the rest of the thread).
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 29, 2013, 07:20:43 AM
Nihilism strikes me as being kinda pointless.

If you know what I mean.  And I think you do.
And you said you hated puns. :lulz:
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 04, 2013, 01:23:58 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 29, 2013, 07:20:43 AM
Nihilism strikes me as being kinda pointless.

If you know what I mean.  And I think you do.
And you said you hated puns. :lulz:

That's not a pun.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on December 03, 2013, 12:33:34 PM

I'm kinda surprised you hadn't looked so much at Existentialism though.  I thought I remembered you being interested in it...though I would totally understand being put off by Sartre's long exercise in obsfucation, aka Being and Nothingness.  Kierkegaard and Camus are far more accessible, and amusing in the case of the former.

M.M. Ponty categorically defenestrates a lamentable Sartre.

Cain

Quite likely.  I've heard good things about Merleau-Ponty, but I've never had the time to check for myself.

hooplala

I'm pretty well grounded in existentialism, for what amounts to a layman.  I've read everything Sartre wrote, and though I admittedly needed a guide to take me step by step through Being and Nothingness, I would argue that is because the book I read is not printed in English, despite being printed in English.  I know the words, but the sentences seemed not to add up to anything I could gather meaning from.  The guide was more helpful in that respect.  Besides that, his thesis is stated extremely directly and succinctly in Existentialism is a Humanism, which nobody would need a guide for.

I am admittedly less brushed-up on nihilism, despite my affirmation in the OP to being one.  I've read mostly second-hand accounts of nihilism, but was under the impression that I basically understood the concept(s).  I fully admit that I may be wrong about that.

I would, however, argue that my position is still existential nihilism.  Keep in mind, I made no claims about moral or epistemological nihilism, only existential (which probably makes the title incorrect, or at best overly sensational).  Others can create meaning for themselves if they so choose, but in all honesty I do not.  I mean, I prefer to be happy rather sad, but I'm not certain anyone would consider that a valid "meaning" on existence, apart from hedonists.  But, I don't consider myself a hedonist.  I'm content not to be happy at all moments.  And yes, while others can create meaning for their lives, I don't think their meaning... means anything.  If they find their notions pleasing, well, bully for them, it doesn't change my view of the universe.

I've had a couple drinks this evening, so this may not have made as much sense as I had intended.  But, I am open to Cain (or anyone else) picking apart what I have said for holes or mistakes.  I am here to learn, and if it turns out I am simply a tried and true existentialist and not an existential nihilist, I am completely fine with that.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

minuspace

Quote from: Hoopla on December 04, 2013, 11:45:06 PM

I'm pretty well grounded in existentialism, for what amounts to a layman.  I've read everything Sartre wrote, and though I admittedly needed a guide to take me step by step through Being and Nothingness, I would argue that is because the book I read is not printed in English, despite being printed in English.  I know the words, but the sentences seemed not to add up to anything I could gather meaning from.  The guide was more helpful in that respect.  Besides that, his thesis is stated extremely directly and succinctly in Existentialism is a Humanism, which nobody would need a guide for.

I am admittedly less brushed-up on nihilism, despite my affirmation in the OP to being one.  I've read mostly second-hand accounts of nihilism, but was under the impression that I basically understood the concept(s).  I fully admit that I may be wrong about that.

I would, however, argue that my position is still existential nihilism.  Keep in mind, I made no claims about moral or epistemological nihilism, only existential (which probably makes the title incorrect, or at best overly sensational).  Others can create meaning for themselves if they so choose, but in all honesty I do not.  I mean, I prefer to be happy rather sad, but I'm not certain anyone would consider that a valid "meaning" on existence, apart from hedonists.  But, I don't consider myself a hedonist.  I'm content not to be happy at all moments.  And yes, while others can create meaning for their lives, I don't think their meaning... means anything.  If they find their notions pleasing, well, bully for them, it doesn't change my view of the universe.

I've had a couple drinks this evening, so this may not have made as much sense as I had intended.  But, I am open to Cain (or anyone else) picking apart what I have said for holes or mistakes.  I am here to learn, and if it turns out I am simply a tried and true existentialist and not an existential nihilist, I am completely fine with that.
I guess the bare bones of it is that anything beyond what you just said just amounts to frosting on the cake.  The trick is to not romanticize obvious: elation is not the same ex-stasis.  Happiness is not a value, however, it has meaning when you communicate it to others Because there is no reason to do so beyond transmitting the wonder itself.  If that sounds hokey, just try making sense of it by yourself :horror:

Penumbral

I really like this Hoopla. Cain seems to be right about the analysis but I don't think that takes away from the prose.

hooplala

Thanks.  I'm hardly an expert in any field, so the probability of me being incorrect on terms hovers around 99%.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman