News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

"Tranny"

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 27, 2013, 04:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There was some more super-entitled shitneckery on Facebook last night. Over an article in which some pipsqueak decided to take the drag community to task over their embracing the word "tranny", because people who don't know better use it as a slur when addressing transgendered people. And of course, transgendered people, specifically the ones under 30 who are apparently TOTALLY disconnected from the historical reasons drag queens and kings use the word "tranny" in the first place, are all that really matters.

:horrormirth:

I wonder if they're next going to inform the gay community that they aren't allowed to call each other fags? And tell all the lesbians how insulting it is when they refer to themselves proudly as dykes? Perhaps they will post flyers informing black people that they are horrible people for reclaiming the word nigger.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's like Stonewall never fucking happened. Fucking idiots.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

This is the conversation I blocked Garbo over.  I had replied first, asking about which slurs were okay and by whom, and then I get this bullshit PM about how my post could have gotten her thrown out of her living arrangements or something, so she erased it.  Because it was so totally unlike the rest of the thread.

:lulz:

Fuck that shit.  This is just the latest crusade to tell people what they can and cannot do. 

ALSO, Garbo believes that female trans folks can use "tranny", but male trans folks cannot.  For reasons that are apparently obvious.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My favorite part about it is that it's not "Let's shout at ignorant people who are using it as a term to demean transgendered and transvestite people", but "Let's shit all over people who have worked hard to further the rights of gay and trans people for using a term they were brave enough to reclaim for themselves" or, in the case of Dan Savage, used in a column once ten years ago.

Complete and utter privileged brattiness.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 04:56:31 PM
This is the conversation I blocked Garbo over.  I had replied first, asking about which slurs were okay and by whom, and then I get this bullshit PM about how my post could have gotten her thrown out of her living arrangements or something, so she erased it.  Because it was so totally unlike the rest of the thread.

:lulz:

Fuck that shit.  This is just the latest crusade to tell people what they can and cannot do. 

ALSO, Garbo believes that female trans folks can use "tranny", but male trans folks cannot.  For reasons that are apparently obvious.

Garbo is fucked in the head. I mean, I think she's actually mentally ill and in need of services, because a lot of what she does/says doesn't make any sense.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 27, 2013, 05:02:19 PM
My favorite part about it is that it's not "Let's shout at ignorant people who are using it as a term to demean transgendered and transvestite people", but "Let's shit all over people who have worked hard to further the rights of gay and trans people for using a term they were brave enough to reclaim for themselves" or, in the case of Dan Savage, used in a column once ten years ago.

Complete and utter privileged brattiness.

It's about the heirarchy, and the BASTARDS who won't submit to its authority.

169% perfect for Garbo.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Whatever happened to "asking the person in question what THEY prefer to be called"?

Faust

Silly LMNO Gender labelling isn't about "a person", or "peoples feelings". It's about being right.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 27, 2013, 04:55:47 PM
Linky?

Kit McGrumpyperson's FB page... I don't have a link.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2013, 05:08:22 PM
Whatever happened to "asking the person in question what THEY prefer to be called"?

Apparently that's not OK anymore; it doesn't matter what they prefer. Drag queens who embrace the word tranny are horrible oppressors who are perpetuating violence and hatred against transgender people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As far as I can tell, it's all about furthering the "us" vs. "them" mentality.

Salty

Lololol.

Things I learned today:
:notnice:

'Cause of the Nigels.

So, let me get this straight, the people who used to get raped, murdered, beaten, robbed in our culture while anyone who could passs one way or another are NOT supposed to use words?

But people who, through the physically hard won battles, are allowed to tell the entire world about how they THINK they have a diffferent brain than what other people THINK they have....

OK. All right.

Lololol.

At what point will People Who Know Best begin carrying out queer detection procedures, just to make sure you're the right kind?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

Nigel, I was about to post the same as you, that "tranny" far and away refers to men who dress as women, not a human who identifies as a woman, biology notwithstanding. The motivations behind the two are VASTLY different. And the fact the thread could only find two examples of calling trans* "tranny", means that's the exception, not the rule.