News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

"Tranny"

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 27, 2013, 04:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2013, 05:50:43 PM
Nigel, I was about to post the same as you, that "tranny" far and away refers to men who dress as women, not a human who identifies as a woman, biology notwithstanding. The motivations behind the two are VASTLY different. And the fact the thread could only find two examples of calling trans* "tranny", means that's the exception, not the rule.

Yeah, that's the funniest thing... it's NEVER EVEN OCCURRED TO ME to refer to a transgendered person as a tranny, NOR have I heard anyone else do it within recent memory. That's a term reserved specifically for "transvestites", which used to be considered a mental illness ffs and people ARE STILL, STILL getting beaten to death for cross-dressing.

And then some privileged little shitheads who don't think they're getting their fair share of oppression-outrage come along and are all "You HORRIBLE drag queens have NO RIGHT to call yourselves trannies, it OPPRESSES US"

REALLY??? JUST, REALLY????!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My "favorite" was the intimation that RuPaul is somehow inherently, personally insensitive and possibly even partially responsible for going around blatantly being a drag queen while a trans couple were murdered.

Just, whoa.

If I see any bigotry in this, it's against the drag community.

LMNO

Quote from: Dan Savage"The whole idea is that the word 'tranny' is on par with the 'N' word; it's the 'T' word, and 'faggot' is the F word—that's a new development," Savage said. "The word 'tranny' wasn't discussed as this hate term until very recently, when the top-secret memo went out, but it didn't go out to everyone all at once. There's this learning curve that everyone's on. I've stopped using the word except when I'm constantly forced to talk about the fact that I don't use the word, which forces me to use the word, and, literally, that has been held as evidence of my transphobia."

Interesting.

Well, I suppose that language may be shifting again. If so, I'll watch my usage. But I normally go with "Queen", personally.

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 27, 2013, 05:55:37 PM
This article is an interesting discussion. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/28/the-anger-over-tranny-from-neil-patrick-harris-to-rupaul-to-dan-savage.html

Wow, even Chaz Bono is a bigot according to some of them, including Justin Bond, who I formerly liked.  It's bordering on absurd. So, how can we fuck with it?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2013, 06:06:48 PM
Quote from: Dan Savage"The whole idea is that the word 'tranny' is on par with the 'N' word; it's the 'T' word, and 'faggot' is the F word—that's a new development," Savage said. "The word 'tranny' wasn't discussed as this hate term until very recently, when the top-secret memo went out, but it didn't go out to everyone all at once. There's this learning curve that everyone's on. I've stopped using the word except when I'm constantly forced to talk about the fact that I don't use the word, which forces me to use the word, and, literally, that has been held as evidence of my transphobia."

Interesting.

Well, I suppose that language may be shifting again. If so, I'll watch my usage. But I normally go with "Queen", personally.

Not being a drag queen, I don't use the word tranny. I don't feel like I have a right to it. But I sure as shit am not going to crap on any drag queens who do.

LMNO

This feels very similar to Discordians who troll each other.

popeluvicasksc

It seems like people just want a reason to be offended. Nobody gives a shit about INTENT any more. Substance no longer matters, only image. As a bisexual man I don't give a fuck what you call me. I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing the difference between speech that is intended to be inflammatory or hateful and that which is not. I would hope that the average thinking person could see the distinction as well. Also, it seems to me that by giving any word that sort of power you're just providing the hateful with more ammunition. I thought the point was to take words that were intended to be hurtful and embrace them to show that there's nothing wrong with how we live, that we are proud to be who we are.
"Explorers in the further regions of experience. Demons to some. Angels to others."- Pinhead

hooplala

People know they are angry, but they don't know what to be angry about.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: popeluvicasksc on November 27, 2013, 06:25:55 PM
It seems like people just want a reason to be offended. Nobody gives a shit about INTENT any more. Substance no longer matters, only image. As a bisexual man I don't give a fuck what you call me. I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing the difference between speech that is intended to be inflammatory or hateful and that which is not. I would hope that the average thinking person could see the distinction as well. Also, it seems to me that by giving any word that sort of power you're just providing the hateful with more ammunition. I thought the point was to take words that were intended to be hurtful and embrace them to show that there's nothing wrong with how we live, that we are proud to be who we are.

Actually, in this specific case, it's a bunch of asshats trying to impose the heirarchy of the OFFICIAL LGBT community on those LGBT folks who don't care.  It's worth noting that these same assholes were the ones claiming that "allies are bad"...And, coupled with this new orthodoxy, means they are basically acting like would-be cult leaders.

1.  Language controlled.
2.  Access to outsiders controlled (no allies, they're all "cookie seekers").
3.  Rigid forms of behavior enforced.
4.  Us vs them mentality.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 27, 2013, 06:28:34 PM

This ain't about anger, it's about control.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: popeluvicasksc on November 27, 2013, 06:25:55 PM

I thought that was the point as well... but apparently there is a contingent who has decided otherwise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 06:30:01 PM
Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 27, 2013, 06:28:34 PM

This ain't about anger, it's about control.

Yep.

popeluvicasksc

If there's one thing I hate more than reactionary fuckbags it's reactionary fuckbags who want to control others. I reject. Proud to be a FAG.
"Explorers in the further regions of experience. Demons to some. Angels to others."- Pinhead