News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

"Tranny"

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 27, 2013, 04:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 06:30:01 PM
Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 27, 2013, 06:28:34 PM
People know they are angry, but they don't know what to be angry about.

This ain't about anger, it's about control.

I'm not sure I agree just yet, but I can see where one would formulate that viewpoint.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

I think it's because people take an intense (and, in my opinion, almost perverse) pleasure in passing judgement and denouncing each other.

The Soviet Union may have been defeated, but the Soviet mentality - judge, denounce, purge - seems to speak to something dark in the human psyche.  Throw in the relative anonymity and group think the internet creates, and you have the perfect conditions for endless schisms, power plays and ridiculous purity tests.

LMNO

Quote from: popeluvicasksc on November 27, 2013, 06:25:55 PM
It seems like people just want a reason to be offended. Nobody gives a shit about INTENT any more. Substance no longer matters, only image.

Unfortunately, this runs headfirst into the signal vs carrier; or rather, "if you're communicating a message, it's up to you to make sure the message gets across correctly."

"But I meant to say" vs "what people heard".

We've had some pretty long discussions about that, here.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 27, 2013, 06:33:20 PM

I'm not sure I agree just yet, but I can see where one would formulate that viewpoint.

It's a pattern.

Allies are "cookie seekers"
Anyone who can be painted as the opposition are "CISHET man-tear" fountains.
The video posted with the hipster explaining why hating cis/hetero people is okay and even righteous.
This new attempt to control the language of the subculture.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 27, 2013, 06:35:48 PM
I think it's because people take an intense (and, in my opinion, almost perverse) pleasure in passing judgement and denouncing each other.

The Soviet Union may have been defeated, but the Soviet mentality - judge, denounce, purge - seems to speak to something dark in the human psyche.  Throw in the relative anonymity and group think the internet creates, and you have the perfect conditions for endless schisms, power plays and ridiculous purity tests.

Oh, there's DEFINITELY that, as well.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm pretty sure he's spot-on.

The reason? The outrage isn't centered around what other people are calling group A. The outrage is about what group B is calling themselves. Group A is trying to tell group B that they don't have a right to the word they use to identify themselves.

Hence, it's about control.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 27, 2013, 06:35:48 PM

Bingo.

Throw in a whole lot of privilege and white guilt, and a state of being that is as easy to achieve as simply rejecting binary gender, and you get a shit ton of white college students with a cause, looking for people to take it out on.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Add to the pattern "division of the subculture along mutually antagonistic lines".

Garbo and her pals have stated that biologically-female trans people can use the term.  Biologically-male trans people cannot.

LMNO

popeluvicasksc

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2013, 06:36:23 PM
Quote from: popeluvicasksc on November 27, 2013, 06:25:55 PM
It seems like people just want a reason to be offended. Nobody gives a shit about INTENT any more. Substance no longer matters, only image.

Unfortunately, this runs headfirst into the signal vs carrier; or rather, "if you're communicating a message, it's up to you to make sure the message gets across correctly."

"But I meant to say" vs "what people heard".

We've had some pretty long discussions about that, here.

This is true, however there are many out there who won't even see a message. All they'll see are words that they find ugly and so regardless of how concise or well thought out the message is, it will be lost on them. Of course in a way that serves as a filtration process to weed out controlling, reactionary douche bags.
"Explorers in the further regions of experience. Demons to some. Angels to others."- Pinhead

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 27, 2013, 06:37:33 PM

I'm pretty sure he's spot-on.

The reason? The outrage isn't centered around what other people are calling group A. The outrage is about what group B is calling themselves. Group A is trying to tell group B that they don't have a right to the word they use to identify themselves.

Hence, it's about control.

You both make excellent points. I guess it goes back to Roger's "Traitor" post.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2013, 06:43:54 PM
Wha?

Yep.  She and her pals have divvied up the rights and responsibilities of everyone, everywhere, and those DAMN HERETICS JUST WON'T LISTEN.  They run around all UNREGULATED at the GAY BAR, while Garbo and her friends are trying to ORGANIZE STUFF to FIGHT THE PATRIARCHY with a competing structure that's shaping up to be JUST AS REPRESSIVE.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: popeluvicasksc on November 27, 2013, 06:44:28 PM

This is true, however there are many out there who won't even see a message.

We must hunt Those People down and make a fucking example of them.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 04:56:31 PM
This is the conversation I blocked Garbo over.  I had replied first, asking about which slurs were okay and by whom, and then I get this bullshit PM about how my post could have gotten her thrown out of her living arrangements or something, so she erased it.  Because it was so totally unlike the rest of the thread.

:lulz:

Fuck that shit.  This is just the latest crusade to tell people what they can and cannot do. 

ALSO, Garbo believes that female trans folks can use "tranny", but male trans folks cannot.  For reasons that are apparently obvious.

Where the fuck is she living, Jonestown?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 27, 2013, 09:13:33 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 04:56:31 PM
This is the conversation I blocked Garbo over.  I had replied first, asking about which slurs were okay and by whom, and then I get this bullshit PM about how my post could have gotten her thrown out of her living arrangements or something, so she erased it.  Because it was so totally unlike the rest of the thread.

:lulz:

Fuck that shit.  This is just the latest crusade to tell people what they can and cannot do. 

ALSO, Garbo believes that female trans folks can use "tranny", but male trans folks cannot.  For reasons that are apparently obvious.

Where the fuck is she living, Jonestown?

Worse. California.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS