News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Objectivists Asking For $

Started by hooplala, November 28, 2013, 12:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

So, full disclosure up front... I like Penn Jillette.  And, I've read one novel of Ayn Rand's I enjoyed.

However, having said that, I think Ayn was a nutjob, and Objectivism is whack.  I could expand on that thought, but I doubt that's very necessary in these parts.

So, here's the thing:  Penn Jillette self identifies as an Objectivist, and yet is asking for money on Fundanything.com to pay for a horror film he wants to make.  Let's just put aside the fact that Penn is yet another celebrity asking your for money to fund their pet project, despite the fact that he likely swims in his squillions of dollars nightly, à la Scrooge McDuck.  Let's just put that aside for the moment.

Instead, let's revel in an Objectivist asking for fucking money.  Did he read Atlas Shrugged?  I didn't, I had to put it down about a third of the way through, because it was drying my eyeballs out.  But, in that third, I got the point.  In fact, I got the point in the first chapter, it's not exactly a subtle book for those who plan to never read it.  The crux is: MOOCHERS ARE BAD.

Penn seems to have missed, oh I don't know... the POINT of his chosen world view.

Perhaps I'm being ungenerous... would anyone care to counter my point?

Rex Bologna
The Handsome Devil of Discordia
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Is there any benefit to the person paying into it, that someone who doesn't pay into it wouldn't get?

If there is, an Objectivist would call that a purchase.

If there isn't, he's basically begging, which an Objectivist would not, in theory, do.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 28, 2013, 12:04:16 AM
Is there any benefit to the person paying into it, that someone who doesn't pay into it wouldn't get?

If there isn't, he's basically begging, which an Objectivist would not, in theory, do.

Yes, he does offer various things in return... I hadn't considered that angle.  They range from name in the credits (which I suppose essentially either makes you a backer or a producer) up to tix to P&T's show, and visits and phone calls with him.

Shit, there goes my fun for this evening...  :|

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Roger, why do you have to be so smart??

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Telarus

I think Penn is more attached to the term Objectivist than to following what Rand taught as "Objectivism".....I picked that up watching the Bullsh!t series.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 28, 2013, 12:08:07 AM
Roger, why do you have to be so smart??

I have been hit up mercilessly for kickstarter funds from people I know on the interbutts.  Basically, some products are now available in hardcopy ONLY for donors.  Everyone else gets a PDF.

At that point, I never, ever purchase anything from that company ever again.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Ok, wait... I got this back on track again...

Ayn Rand was on Social Security and Medicare when she died... MOOCHER!

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Telarus on November 28, 2013, 12:09:36 AM
I think Penn is more attached to the term Objectivist than to following what Rand taught as "Objectivism".....I picked that up watching the Bullsh!t series.

To riff of this point, from some interviews (maybe it was just one interview) he talked about the philosophy and the impression that I got was more about his liking the ideas and playing with them but not necessarily getting wrapped up in it.  He seems to take the same approach to his libratarian views as well. 

In short, he seems more about being intelligent first and mainlining an ideology second.  I think the interview is on YT and i'd look for it but i'm about to go to the store...and--being the night before turkey day--who knows when i'll get back.

Aucoq

I don't know if either of these are the interview you're talking about, Burns, but thanks to this thread I've been watching a lot of his interviews.  I'm not saying I agree with his views, but I found these two to be particularly interesting.

Penn Jillette on God, No!, Atheism, Libertarianism, & More
Penn Jillette: Mistrust of Government Is a Beautiful Thing
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 28, 2013, 12:04:16 AM

Yeah, but this is different, because he's special. :lulz:

I can't fucking stand Penn Gillette. I used to think he was funny, but now I just think he's a pompous asshole.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 28, 2013, 12:49:51 AM

To riff of this point, from some interviews (maybe it was just one interview) he talked about the philosophy and the impression that I got was more about his liking the ideas and playing with them but not necessarily getting wrapped up in it.  He seems to take the same approach to his libratarian views as well. 

In short, he seems more about being intelligent first and mainlining an ideology second.  I think the interview is on YT and i'd look for it but i'm about to go to the store...and--being the night before turkey day--who knows when i'll get back.

The impression I get is that it's mostly about him being smarter and therefore better than everyone else, and also about making fun of the stupid unwashed masses.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 07:46:26 PM

The impression I get is that it's mostly about him being smarter and therefore better than everyone else, and also about making fun of the stupid unwashed masses.

He definitely seems like one of those pedantic guys who makes sure to point out to you when you've said 'acronym', but meant 'initialism', but then sadly, so am I.  It's something I don't particularly care for about myself, and try very hard not to do.  In me I know it stems from insecurity about never having gone beyond high school education.  He didn't either, and I suspect it may be the same root cause. 

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 29, 2013, 08:10:42 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 07:46:26 PM

He definitely seems like one of those pedantic guys who makes sure to point out to you when you've said 'acronym', but meant 'initialism', but then sadly, so am I.  It's something I don't particularly care for about myself, and try very hard not to do.  In me I know it stems from insecurity about never having gone beyond high school education.  He didn't either, and I suspect it may be the same root cause.

Ahhhh, yeah, that could explain some of it. And just having kind of a loathesome personality explains the rest, in his case, because rather than trying not to do it, he makes a living from doing it, and seems to subscribe to the idea that if he was able to succeed and make a lot of money, it's because of his personal choices... and that it therefore follows that anyone who DOESN'T succeed and make a lot of money is failing to do so on the basis of their personal choices. Call it self-made man syndrome, or whatever.

His analogy of the 17-year-old math genius girl who "chooses to get knocked up and keep working instead of going to college" just absolutely made me cringe.

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 08:20:13 PM

Ahhhh, yeah, that could explain some of it. And just having kind of a loathesome personality explains the rest, in his case, because rather than trying not to do it, he makes a living from doing it, and seems to subscribe to the idea that if he was able to succeed and make a lot of money, it's because of his personal choices... and that it therefore follows that anyone who DOESN'T succeed and make a lot of money is failing to do so on the basis of their personal choices. Call it self-made man syndrome, or whatever.

His analogy of the 17-year-old math genius girl who "chooses to get knocked up and keep working instead of going to college" just absolutely made me cringe.

Yikes.  I think I missed that one.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 29, 2013, 08:28:02 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 08:20:13 PM

Yikes.  I think I missed that one.

Yeah, it's part of his philosophy on how he doesn't have the right to make decisions for other people. I think it's shortly before his "if you want to help people, then help them" screed.