News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

A visual explanation of one half of the BIP

Started by LMNO, December 09, 2013, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 09, 2013, 05:29:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Sen1HTu5o

We can not be trusted to observe reality accuately.

Can't see the video, but as for your comment, if the fucking thing would PICK A STATE, we'd be able to observe it.  It's not US, it's the fucking UNIVERSE.

"Is the fucking cat alive or is it dead?  I'm on a schedule, here."
- Thanatos
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

It's a video of an optical illusion.

The two oblongs are the same color.

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pæs

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 09, 2013, 09:10:43 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 09, 2013, 06:59:48 PM
It's a video of an optical illusion.

The two oblongs are the same color.

No they aren't.

They are, aside from the shaded area on the top one and the highlighted area on the bottom one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Pæs

I don't know about you guys but I'm going to trust the Holy Man on this one.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on December 09, 2013, 09:31:07 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm going to trust the Holy Man on this one.

And the Holy Man™ is THINKING WITH HIS GUT.  I don't need any of that "logic" or "science" or any of that shit.  I'm trusting my eyes, the same way Smilin' George Bush trusted Donald Rumsfeld's eyes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

HOWEVER, in a sense it's a semantical illusion rather than a purely optical one, and it "cheats" by using illumination angles that would, in life, make the top section necessarily darker than the lower section. "techically", it's the same color, but in a sense that isn't really relevant other than being an interesting exercise in perception and interpretation of how we expect things to behave assuming they're subject to the physics of the real world.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 09, 2013, 09:33:38 PM
HOWEVER, in a sense it's a semantical illusion rather than a purely optical one, and it "cheats" by using illumination angles that would, in life, make the top section necessarily darker than the lower section. "techically", it's the same color, but in a sense that isn't really relevant other than being an interesting exercise in perception and interpretation of how we expect things to behave assuming they're subject to the physics of the real world.

This is why you can't trust these ivory tower types.  Always running around being sneaky, associating with known Semantics...And fooling people just because they can, to show how book smart they are.

If it were up to me, all Semantics would be sent back where they came from.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In other words, if the same shade of gray is used to represent the illumination of a darker object and the shadow of a lighter object, are those portions of the object really the same color?

If the object exists, then no. Only the color used to represent the two parts of the object are the same.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 09, 2013, 09:35:44 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 09, 2013, 09:33:38 PM

This is why you can't trust these ivory tower types.  Always running around being sneaky, associating with known Semantics...And fooling people just because they can, to show how book smart they are.

If it were up to me, all Semantics would be sent back where they came from.

:lulz: