News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Yeahhhhh

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 10, 2013, 08:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on December 10, 2013, 04:12:30 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 10, 2013, 04:10:51 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 10, 2013, 04:02:35 PM
Okay, stepping my foot in it in hopes that I come out of this less stupid: what's the deal with the "you're white" one? I can imagine contexts in which it becomes offensive (i.e. "that can't be your dad, you're white" or "what do you mean you celebrate kwanza with your bi-racial family, you're white") but I can see others where I would still say or think that at someone and think that I was in the right. I mean, that girl holding the sign is whiter than the snow in Vermont. She may have a biological parent that's another race, or she might be the whitest person in Mexico, or she might be adopted into a family of another race, but that is not the face of a person who is going to see a lot of racial discrimination in her lifetime. She's not going to get pulled over for driving while black. No one is going to assume she's a terrorist at the airport (any more than the norm).

I dunno. I'm stuck on that one, which probably means I'm wrong about something.

Perhaps "white" isn't her preferred self identification label.

Can you be transracial as well as transgender?

This message brought to you by a proud African Woman

On Tumblr, you can!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 10, 2013, 04:26:45 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 10, 2013, 04:23:14 PM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 10, 2013, 04:17:11 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 10, 2013, 04:14:04 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 10, 2013, 04:12:38 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 10, 2013, 04:11:16 PM
What's with the Garcia one as well I don't get it.

His last name isn't Garcia.
Is that a really common name over there? I don't know any Spanish Garcia's.

It's apparently of Basque origin and is common in a Spanish speaking country near you (general you, not you specifically).

So it's a pejorative name like Paddy?

I'm thinking it's a matter of swapping out a common Spanish language last name with a common Spanish last name. It would be like calling Sean O'Connor by the name Sean O'Brien. I'm not sure exactly how that's microaggression myself since people screw up people's names.

It's because when people do that (and swapping out any Irish name with some other "generic" Irish name counts as well) they have lumped you into a generic pool of "(whatever) ethnicity". They have stopped seeing you as a unique individual and are engaging in stereotyping. Calling all Irish people "O'Brien", all Hispanic people "Garcia", all German people "Schmidt", etc.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 10, 2013, 04:27:57 PM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 10, 2013, 04:17:11 PM

It's apparently of Basque origin and is common in a Spanish speaking country near you (general you, not you specifically).

No, it'd be more like calling an English guy Dan Smith when his last name is Knightley, because people from England have last names like Smith and you can't be bothered to check what his actual name is. There's no history of Garcia being used as a pejorative, it's just a lazy motherfucker lumping all Hispanic people in a pile so he can stop thinking about them.

Or yeah, this.  :lol: I gotta start reading the whole thread before responding.

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 10, 2013, 05:31:49 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 10, 2013, 04:27:57 PM

No, it'd be more like calling an English guy Dan Smith when his last name is Knightley, because people from England have last names like Smith and you can't be bothered to check what his actual name is. There's no history of Garcia being used as a pejorative, it's just a lazy motherfucker lumping all Hispanic people in a pile so he can stop thinking about them.

At least I'm not alone.  :lulz:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on December 10, 2013, 04:13:05 PM
Okay, stepping my foot in it in hopes that I come out of this less stupid: what's the deal with the "you're white" one? I can imagine contexts in which it becomes offensive (i.e. "that can't be your dad, you're white" or "what do you mean you celebrate kwanza with your bi-racial family, you're white") but I can see others where I would still say or think that at someone and think that I was in the right. I mean, that girl holding the sign is whiter than the snow in Vermont. She may have a biological parent that's another race, or she might be the whitest person in Mexico, or she might be adopted into a family of another race, but that is not the face of a person who is going to see a lot of racial discrimination in her lifetime. She's not going to get pulled over for driving while black. No one is going to assume she's a terrorist at the airport (any more than the norm).

Oh, you are giving me evil ideas.

"Transethnic" is a thing on tumblr, though no-one knows whether the people claiming the label are trolling or not.

Cain

Quote from: Cain on December 10, 2013, 05:43:47 PM
"Transethnic" is a thing on tumblr, though no-one knows whether the people claiming the label are trolling or not.

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 10, 2013, 05:27:53 PM
On Tumblr, you can!

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 10, 2013, 05:31:49 PM

Quote from: Hoopla on December 10, 2013, 05:38:10 PM

Quoted for quoted for truthery.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on December 10, 2013, 05:46:04 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 10, 2013, 05:43:47 PM

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 10, 2013, 05:27:53 PM
On Tumblr, you can!

Quote from: Hoopla on December 10, 2013, 05:38:10 PM

Quoted for quoted for truthery.

:lulz:

Salty

When I was still working for The Man, this German lady came in.

After something, I cant remember what, she wanted to tell my manager that I was awesome and deserved a raise.

My tool box of a manager came out gave her his best Machivelian "I am talking to a customer" voice, bullshitted and let.

She looked at me and said, "Vat a load ov bullshit!"

I smile.

"Vat, is he a mexican or somesing?"

My smile drops, "Uh." He is Philipeno.

Later on as I am wrapping up my good buddy Yang is standing next to me.

She looks at him, at his name tag, "You? You where are you from?"

Yang says, "Minnesota."

"No, no, your name. What are you Chinese? Philepeno? I used to live here and I love ze Philipeno peoples."

Yang says, "Laos."

She says, "Oh."

Me, doing my best internslized spittake.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

On Tumblr, you can!

*ahem*

DOUR,
ANGRY BLACK WOMAN
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Oh my.
This all reminds me of a guy in the bar trying to order a drink and my other bartender yelling "What?? Speak English!" at him and him replying "I'm trying!"
He was from Lithuania. He was a regular, and pretty damned nice.
My look of death was enough to make her balls suck up inside of her body and made her walk off hanging her head in shame while I apologized for her ignorance.

FUCKING FUCK.

Chelagoras The Boulder

well, within Black and Mexican population there can sometimes be a perceived "hierarchy" that those with lighter skin tones are "better" or have it easier than those with darker ones. Also there are times when someone who can "pass" can sometimes inherit white privilege which can cause a bit of anxiety, especially when white people say it as a compliment, as though you're one of the "normal" people just because your filthy ethnic heritage doesn't show.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Pæs

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 10, 2013, 05:25:26 PM

Most likely it's that she's mixed-race and just happened to get mostly pale pigmentation. My son is the same way; doesn't identify as white, but has pale skin and blue eyes.

It's only offensive if someone insists that you're white even though you've told them your nonwhite racial or ethnic identity. I've had people do that to me, or tell me that I "don't HAVE to tell people" I'm part Black, because "no one would ever know".

Still, I tend not to assume that someone's white unless they tell me they are.
Yeah, the critical part for me on that is "no", which sounds like the microaggression is a rejection of whatever cultural identity she's claimed.

Ben Shapiro

Yes! It would be like Williams in the black community mostly common in places that have a strong Spanish influence.